Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy! I am looking at buying a 1986 Goldwing from a local fellow. I don't know much about them, so I was wondering what to look for. The bike has 58,000 miles and appears in good condition. I was warned by another person(a local bike dealer) that if the charging system goes bad it requires the removal of the engine and is about a $900 fix. I don't really trust his opinion due to some other things I know about him, though. He was wanting $2500 the last time I talked with him. Any inf would be greatly appreciated!;)

Sincerely,

Doc

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the greatet MC site in the world. The experts and "official" greeters will be along shortly. To see what to look for on different GW`s , on the right side of the "forums " page just select "Buyers Guide" and then the bike year and read on.
Lots of great info

Flyboy

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum:waving::waving:2500 is not bad for a 1986......does the owner have any maintenance records? where does he keep it, when was the last time it was ridden....things like that. Biggest thing is when was the timing belts changed, fluids, oil, what shape are the tires??

Would be happy to come up one weekend and look at it with you........

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

1200's have an issue with stators that fail. it is a pain to pull the engine & replace them but you can also bolt on a poor boy kit which involves an external alternator from a chevy sprint i think. It is drivin from a pully that you install on the front of the crank shaft. Pretty cool set up & gives way more power. You can type in "poor boy" in the search bar & do some reading.

Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies. I haven't asked all the detail questions yet, so this info is great. It has been garage kept. As to the mantainence records, I'll need to ask. As it turns out, he is getting a little skittish about selling. The site of some green might change his mind. He is a Vietnam Vet whose interests are changing as he gets older. We'll see. Again, thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

If you are mechanically gifted get it...if you have a reasonable bank balance get it...bike mechanics charge like wounded bulls. The stators are the only weak spot on these bikes. The engine has to be removed to replace the stator. Did it twice. As previously stated above there are modern ways around it. I had one for nine years. Know it very thoroughly. Now have a GL1500.Never had to remove the engine and probably never will. Best of Luck Dave:)

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

hello,

1986 saw the introduction of 3 goldwings, the interstate, the aspencade, and the sei.

there are mainly basic differences between the interstate, and the aspencade, one of which the aspencade has digital dash, radio etc.

the special edition, the sei this bike has it all, radio, intercom, fuel injected, etc etc etc. they upgraded the stator on these too.

Not all 1200's have stator issues, but it is a known problem.

with regular maintenance, it will give you a great deal of pleasure.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You should be able to check to output of the stator prior to buying. If okay, just clean the connections/hardwire as a preventative.

My friend popped out the motor all by himself, so you could too. I think a stator could be bought for $100-200.

If the bike is really nice, and the price really good, I would consider buying it, if I was you.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

HolidayHayes,

The stator may have already been replaced under warranty.

You can find out whether it has been replaced or not by calling American Honda Motor Company Customer Service in Torrance, CA, at 1-866-784-1870.

If you give them the VIN off of the bike, they can look up the bike in their warranty service records and see if the stator replacement has already been done.

Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Folks, thanks for all the good information, I now feel better armed to check the situation out. I'mm not sure as to the exact model, just that it is a 1886 1200, so now I know what to look for and ask. I am now in negotiations with the fellow and will check back as soon as I have a deal or some information. Again, thanks!:cool:

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . I hope the info your getting is helping you in checking the bike out . The Goldwing is a wonderful ride . If you cant make a deal at this time please stay on with us here . You can earn your " continuing education credits " in Goldwingology . When the next one comes along you'll have even more knowledge . Theres a great wealth of knowledge here . What cant be found in the search archives is available for just the asking .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.