Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

Having just purchased a new 04 Wing and finding this group I have a couple of questions about my Wing. Before I contact the dealer and make an idiiot of myself, just thought I'd look for some input. I seem to have a air/exhaust leak where the exhaust comes togather, under the bike by the centerstand. There are two allen bolts that hold the pipes togather. I can feel air comming from the joint, and I think I also hear a slight exhaust leak, is this normal or do I have a problem?? I tried to tighten the bolts, but they are tight.

I also hear one of the front brake pads rubbing the roter, not constantly, as if there were dirt or anything in the way, but rubbing all the same. Could one of the roters be warped?? I have about 1400 miles on the bike, and I have had it for a little over a week.

Great bike, had many other bikes over the years, this one is awsome.

TIA,

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Dan, welcome to our hangout place. I know the joint you are referring to, it should not leak. Try nipping the Allen bolts with the engine running until the leak stops. If it doesn't stop then the gasket is faulty, but these gaskets last for years so it's most likely just loose bolts, or the pipes aren't pushed tight enough together.
As to the brake noise, probably just a bit of dirt caught up. Blow the calliper out with an airline and see if that fixes it, warped discs at 1400 miles is unlikely.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

An exhaust leak at that point is something you need to fix or get fixed by the dealer. This will make the ECM struggle to compensate as it will guess (wrongly) that the bike is running lean.

Jason isprobablyright about the brakes. If blowing out the calliper doesn't fix it then you may find that muck on the pins that hold the pads in is stopping the pads floating away from the disc fully. Only way out is to take them out and clean them all up.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the information, I 'll have a additional look at these areas. Hopefully it is something I can take care of. Jason-good color choice...mine is Candy Black Cherry.

Dan

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I'd be back to the dealer with it Dan, unless he is too far away. I'd hate for to snap one of them allen bolts and have to go back to the dealer red-faced! :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I made an appointment with a local dealer for next week. Let them worry about breaking the bolts, and they likely have a few sitting around. It would be just my luck for something bad to happen. I seem to have a shimmy/vibration type thing going on with the front tire. I may have read somewhere that this is a common problem of some sort. Hopefully just a tire a bit out of balance.

Thanks again

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Not happy to hear you have these problems with a new 04 GW. It depresses me.. I watched a program on the History channel where they took you thru the factory during the manufacture of the new GWs and it was totally mind blowing. However, my point was that each bike is put on a test bed and spun up as if it was on the road with the driver actually riding it. He took it up to (I believe) 80mph before signing it off... So, I'm very interested to find out what the problems are with your machine.. Please keep us in the loop on what the dealer finds out... Your bike may have encountered transportation damages and it wasn't picked up prior to the delivery.. Thanks..... Renegade

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.