Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I am a retired deputy Sheriff, prior to that I was an auto mechanic for 20+ yrs.
Being new to Honda's ( I hope I don't get banned for this but have always and still am Harley)
I came here for advice regarding a starting issue with a 82 1100.

I am sure someone has been down this road and can save me a ton of time.
I will post in the tech section.

Thank you all

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,262 Posts
You have found a forum that don't care what you ride, but we are a tad bit biased to the Honda Goldwing :)

Welcome and drop over to the Technical forum and post up your problems there.
you will get answers in a short short.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Greetingz Chamokie!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you AZG
I have a mechanical back ground 20+ yrs just an FYI.
The issue is the bike started and ran fine all spring. The last time I wanted to start it there was no response from the starter.
I jumped the two battery wires on the solenoid , bingo she fired right up.

I The main fuse is working, as all lights work, power to the solenoid.
The more I read on this group the knowledge is unbelievable.

Reading one post the poster stated to make sure there is a OEM solenoid on the bike, no it is 100% china.
I do have power in the front two wires that activate with the starter button.

Solenoid ? What is thawing me is where is the ground for the unit, and why no click?
Thank you for your time and info

I am not up on todays cars/trucks, I can however answer most questions on the earlier vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
22,370 Posts
:welc:

Here we go again. Sounds like the start switch/button is dirty. Quickest way to find out is to spray some WD-40 around the button and engage it a few times. If that improves things, you will probably need to open the switch and service it in the near future.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
What is thawing me is where is the ground for the unit, and why no click?
Thank you for your time and info

I am not up on todays cars/trucks, I can however answer most questions on the earlier vehicles.
The ground for the starter relay is through the neutral switch or clutch switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:welc:

Here we go again. Sounds like the start switch/button is dirty. Quickest way to find out is to spray some WD-40 around the button and engage it a few times. If that improves things, you will probably need to open the switch and service it in the near future.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Do not believe so reason being when I push the start switch both the wire on the relay light up. Did not measure the voltage but clearly a bright 12 V

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a resource I can purchase an oem relay?
Ebay has plenty, scared of that place.

·
Magic Moderator
4,525 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Any Honda dealer could order one for you or even go through a Honda dealer site and order direct.
Here's the part number:
SWITCH ASSY., STARTER MAGNETIC
35850-MB0-007
You have to be careful when buying on Ebay, there's a lot of inferior stuff being sold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Any Honda dealer could order one for you or even go through a Honda dealer site and order direct.
Here's the part number:
SWITCH ASSY., STARTER MAGNETIC
35850-MB0-007
You have to be careful when buying on Ebay, there's a lot of inferior stuff being sold.
Thank you, I will order one.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thank you, I will order one.
That's the spirit, just throw parts at until something fixes it.:crying2:

For what it's worth you have determined that the relay coil is good and that you're getting power to it. You have not confirmed that the coil is getting a ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the spirit, just throw parts at until something fixes it.:crying2:

For what it's worth you have determined that the relay coil is good and that you're getting power to it. You have not confirmed that the coil is getting a ground.
You are correct, I am not "throwing parts at it" as previously mentioned I have 20+ yrs of automotive experience behind me.

I want to get rid of that china relay that is there now. By going OEM,( which I always try to do) I can have a fresh start on this issue.

Thank you for replying.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Rather than going to Flea-Bay I went to the local Motorcycle bone-yard. My 1100 has OEM starter relay from a Yamaha crotch rocket that I adapted into it.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Is there a resource I can purchase an oem relay?
Ebay has plenty, scared of that place.
Remember, its the CHEAP man that spends the most! Here is the results of my flirtation with non-OEM bargin solenoids :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Follow up on my issue, turns out the PO used a jumper wire to by pass the clutch switch.
The switch was by passed with a jumper wire which fried. Wires were burned all the way back into the left switch assembly.

I found one that looks decent, guaranteed for 30 days on E bay.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I printed them and put with the others papers for the bike.

Great group here, I plan on hanging around.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Follow up on my issue, turns out the PO used a jumper wire to by pass the clutch switch.
The switch was by passed with a jumper wire which fried. Wires were burned all the way back into the left switch assembly.
That likely happened when the aftermarket starter relay was installed as most are wired backwards to the OEM relay.

If you do go back to an OEM relay triple check the wiring or you could fry more wiring.

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Premium Member
64,346 Posts
Hallo Chamokie

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
22,370 Posts
Note:

This thread is a year old. The original poster hasn't posted in over a year.

Please note the original date of a post before posting to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts