Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought it Jan 5th ...YAAAAHOOOO.....First Goldwing, and I have always wanted one. It had 16,985 miles on it. I then started checking all of the fluids, spark plugs, etc. It runs great but I changed the spark plugs anyway although they look fine. The oil looked good so I ran it for 2,000 miles and did an oil change today. A friend gave me some Royal Purple so I put it in, It runs really smooth with the new oil. But the old oil came out a chocolate color. I haven't seen that color before. Anybody got any ideas?
The previousowner told me that the bike washardly everriden.

It really does run very good and so far I'm a :action:" Proud Papa".

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Nice bike. We have white 96SE model. Its a really good bike. As for the color of the oil, How chocolatey was it? If it was just a bit dirty brown I would say that is probably normal. If it had a milky brown (coffee with cream)look that may be a sign of water. It hard to tell. If you want to check for water, put a small amount of the oil on the top side of a thin metal plate or spoon and heat underneath with a lighter. If there is water present, the water will boil rather quickly. If not the oil will just get hot.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! I don't know about your oil but some will be here to fill us in real soon.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

More like a dirty brown, But I keep thinking about dirty oil from my diesel truck. It is more black color. This was more chocolate, but no milky or cream. I really don't think there was water in it.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

your oil will also have clutch particulate in it because your engine oil services your clutch pack. If it was not run regularly, it will have condensation issues as well. It would have been a good idea to do an oil change, run it for a few hundred miles & than do another one with the royal purple. that way, you would have flushed the system once before putting in an expensive oil.

Glad to hear that you did change the oil though, Your wing will thank you for that!

Welcome to the forum & the wonderful world of Wings!!!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

When I bought my '85 1200 several years ago, my oil looked as you described when I changed it. I think it was from a lot of sitting and little running. No problems, and it had 100K miles on it when I sold it.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.