Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Took a gamble on an out of state 78 GL1000 on a decent price and took delivery of it today. Little rougher than the photos showed (of course) and it's definitely been sitting for a longish while but with judicious choke it actually idled for a little while until some overheating and coolant overflow. But that's not what I need to ask first.....I can address that with some troubleshooting later. 2 things first:

First, the frame around the kickstand is rusted and 'peeling away' for lack of a better term. See photos. How screwed am I? It's on the center stand because I don't think it's even able to support the weight on the kickstand. Is this at all repairable? Or am I forsworn to use the center stand from here on out? Or is this going to be a structural issue that'll doom the bike?

Second, it's got aftermarket coils and I'm not sure what's going on where the points are supposed to be. Is that the Dyna conversion? Does anyone know 'Andrews Products' for coils and how reliable they are?

As I get time and money to start on this new project I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions. :)

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Tread

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Automotive tire Rim Gas Bumper Auto part

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Administrator
28,228 Posts
That frame piece bolts on so you can either find another one or have that one repaired. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket ignition systems but someone else will know.
I just don't like the looks of those with all that aftermarket fairing and luggage bolted on. Much better stock IMO.

Reactions: kotkinjs1

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
696 Posts
That is a removablepiece of frame and a comonrot point if used where salt is onroad,i have a repaired one anda very good orginal BUT i am in uk so shipping would be expensive

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That frame piece bolts on so you can either find another one or have that one repaired. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket ignition systems but someone else will know.
I just don't like the looks of those with all that aftermarket fairing and luggage bolted on. Much better stock IMO.

Thanks Dave. So by 'bolt on' does that mean the engine needs to come out so that area can be fully accessed? Or just the rear wheel? Or better on a lift yet as is? ;)

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
696 Posts
That piece has to be removed to get the engine out so wth care its only that piece that is removed

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You do not have to remove the engine to replace that piece. You can repair it or a good welder can. It might be cleaner to get a new/used part.

That's a vintage Vetter fairing, not sure about the bags. They work very well. Not a bad looking bike.

You are going to have to clean those carbs.

Almost forgot, Welcome to the forum!!!

Rayjoe

Reactions: kotkinjs1

·
Registered
1999 GL1500SE
293 Posts
Bags are Bates bags. Do these have the big 'hump' on the inside so a helmet fits in?? I had a set of those on my 72 CB 500 4 cylinder. Nice bags and the Windjammer does still have some parts available on the Craig Vetter site! Also a nice set of original lowers on the fairing.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,002 Posts
there are only two listings, and he thinks they made of Gold, but, they look solid.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
696 Posts
You can have a repaired one from me for $40 plus shipping from UK

·
Toolcraft4100
418 Posts
She looks like she's in pretty fair condition for a '78 Goldwing. As stated above, the removable frame section is commonly rusted and relatively easily repaired or replaced. The aftermarket electronic ignition and the aftermarket coils, regardless of their brand, are upgrades from the originals. Some guys really like the aftermarket vetter/bates stuff, others despise them. I would check the condition inside the gas tank. If it's rusty at all, you'll need to address that before you rebuild the carbs, which I would count on doing. If the PO can't provide documentation of replacing the belts I'd do that before I started it again. Whatever direction you expect to go with the bike I'd say you've got a good foundation. I'm a little jealous!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
there are only two listings, and he thinks they made of Gold, but, they look solid.

If you look a little harder ... 🤡
Looks pretty good, and comes with the side stand.

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would check the condition inside the gas tank. If it's rusty at all, you'll need to address that before you rebuild the carbs, which I would count on doing.
That's definitely a tank out of frame job, right? I've seen posts discuss cleaning with some solution then lining or electrolysis but either would involve pulling the tank right? I'm limited on serious tools. I've got a HF motorcycle jack lift and necessary handtools but that's about it.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,002 Posts
Electrolysis does not require removing the fuel tanks, which is why it is the single best method.

Electrolysis will remove every speck of Rust, and it cleans the Fuel Gauge sliders, restoring that function w/o having to remove/replace it.

Once the tank is free of rust, suction all of the water out, pour in a bottle of Sea Foam and then fill it with non-ethanol gas if available.

.http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Miscellaneous/Rust_Removal.htm

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Electrolysis does not require removing the fuel tanks, which is why it is the single best method.

Electrolysis will remove every speck of Rust, and it cleans the Fuel Gauge sliders, restoring that function w/o having to remove/replace it.

Once the tank is free of rust, suction all of the water out, pour in a bottle of Sea Foam and then fill it with non-ethanol gas if available.

.http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/Miscellaneous/Rust_Removal.htm
Thank you! That's what I like to hear!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I used my stick welder as the power source to clean a gas tank. Be careful to not touch the sides of the tank with the sacrificial rod and keep an eye on the temperature of the water. Mine got up to 130 degrees before I shut it down. I changed the water and did it three more times. Turned out perfect!

Rayjoe

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
44 Posts
So, if you can't find the "Removable Frame Rail Locally" I have one in pretty good shape you can have that came off one of my parts bikes. I held on to it as I figured someone would need it in the future. You would have to pay shipping from Oregon though, so you might be better off looking on E-Bay as many of the Motorcycle Parting Out Guys are down there in the sun belt anyhow. There might be one locally in a chop shop.

If not, feel free to get back to me.

The price as stated is: "Free" just the actual cost of shipping, and you purchase the label and e-mail it to me.

Alan

Hi all,

Took a gamble on an out of state 78 GL1000 on a decent price and took delivery of it today. Little rougher than the photos showed (of course) and it's definitely been sitting for a longish while but with judicious choke it actually idled for a little while until some overheating and coolant overflow. But that's not what I need to ask first.....I can address that with some troubleshooting later. 2 things first:

First, the frame around the kickstand is rusted and 'peeling away' for lack of a better term. See photos. How screwed am I? It's on the center stand because I don't think it's even able to support the weight on the kickstand. Is this at all repairable? Or am I forsworn to use the center stand from here on out? Or is this going to be a structural issue that'll doom the bike?

Second, it's got aftermarket coils and I'm not sure what's going on where the points are supposed to be. Is that the Dyna conversion? Does anyone know 'Andrews Products' for coils and how reliable they are?

As I get time and money to start on this new project I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions. :)

View attachment 327398

View attachment 327399

View attachment 327400

View attachment 327401

View attachment 327402
[/QUOTE]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts