Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, Just traded my 04 sabre for an 89 wing. Did a nice little shake down ride today and noticed a few things, just want to check in and see I'm going down the right road. So far this is what I know has been done recently

Bike has 97k miles

*new front and rear tires

*new timing belts and tensioners

*tune up (spark plugs)

Here what i noticed that's needs to be addressed

*nose dive on braking, lifting on accelerating (fork rebuild, fluid, anti-dive valve?)

*studders on take off (thinking plugged low speed jets in carb)

*hunts a little at idle (vacuum leak?)

*cruse control not working, turns on but no engagement----any ideas where to begin on this?

I have a randakk's carb kit on hand, also going to change all fluids this winter

tune and sync carbs,

Pic of my ugly mug and bike;

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Congrats on the ride, she is a looker. For sure, check for a vacuum leak. The symptoms described for driveability concerns would also cause the vacuum operated cruise to not function if it did have a bad hose.

You have a few filters to change out. Air, oil, fuel, sub, cruise and compressor.

You will get very good at R&R of the plastics.:cheesygrin:

JD

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

:waving: Welcome to the site. Nice ride. The 1500 folks will chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice looking ride....... One of the 1500 folks will chime in soon, most are probably still out riding..

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice looking ride....... One of the 1500 folks will chime in soon, most are probably still out riding..

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Nice looking bike there. Obviously someone took care of it, and it wasn`t abused. I would start checking the cruise control operation ny checking the brass pivot on the clutch handle. Should be round. Should hear2 clicks when you pull front brake lever.(If you have aftermarkket levers, that could be part of your problem.)
If you still have stock fork springs, a set of Progressive springs might help the nose dive/lifting at take off. If forks are leaking, new upper and lower bushings along with new sealls.
Has bike been sitting for awhile before you bought it? Maybe removing old gas, and filling with new, along with Seafoam and a nice long ride could help. Previous owner should be able to help with maintenece record. Change brake, and cluch fluid if haven`t been done very recently.
Just usual maintenece stuff.
Good luck, and enjoy.
Gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

thats a wig on fire! look.....need progressive fork springs
need to drill out the primaries
make sure clutch cruze switch is open to go...go..go..and geta shave and haircut!...must excuse me! i ve had a few jacks and coke...but its all good...happy holidase....can you hear me?....:Dthought youd like this exivid!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the welcomes and comments on the bike. :eek:)

When you say drill out the primariers, your talking about the primary jets in the
carbs? Where can I find more info this? I've seen talk about the 4deg trigger wheel to help with the flat spot on take off, but I also believe this not the correct way to cure this......Is there an ez way to tell if the recall for carb rejet has ever been preformed without tearing down the carbs to check the jets? I only have maintains records since 2000's

I'm planning on getting the bike running in top condition before I tackle the Curse Control.....

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

That is one sweet lookin' GL1500!

I had the erratic idle on my '95 and found a loose vacuum connector on the left side of the engine near thevalve cover. You might also try turning the idle control a few turns and reset it back to 1000 rpms.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Forget all of that maintenance crap. You just need more chrome and a taller windshield.

;)

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can calculate the next size or two up from stock bore)primary jets) and use a drill bit to drill out the primaries...but this is tedious and you need to know what you are doing...also some thing to modify on the little triangular block inside the carbs...chamfer the edges to get the orings back in..important....i learned the hard way!!..and lotsa work(carb pull and dis-sassy)...lotsa fun!!...a trigger wheel might mask the real problem though...if you are up to it its just a matter of time and patience to fix.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Check the tail light/brake light function from the foot brake. That switch often sticks and the first symptom is the cruise controlwill not set.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

Sweet looking ride !! :cheesygrin:

*nose dive on braking, lifting on accelerating (fork rebuild, fluid, anti-dive valve?)

New fork springs might help. Check fork bushings and anti dive mechanism and also check fork oil level

*studders on take off (thinking plugged low speed jets in carb)

The 88's and 89's had some driveability issues... Honda had a fix for this but it could also be your low speed idle jets are partially clogged... It could also be a vacuum leak as well... Some 88/89 owners also have added a 4 degree trigger wheel which advances the timing a bit and helps the hesitation... I believe it was a bit retarded on those 2 model years...

*hunts a little at idle (vacuum leak?)

This could also be a vacuum leak or low speed idle jets... Try adding some Seafoam as others have advised and you can use a propane torch (not lit) to sniff around for vacuum leaks...

*cruse control not working, turns on but no engagement----any ideas where to begin on this?

Most of the time this is caused by either aftermarket levers that won't let the micro switches close or worn bushings on the levers... Others have given you a few other things to look at as well...

Good luck with the new ride :cheesygrin:

Les

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I just became the proud owner of an '89 wing this year.

It wasa very low milage bike when I got it and I had a severe hesitation issue.

Please see here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=125708&forum_id=1&jump_to=1466924#p1466924

Since changing the jets, the performance is dramatically different. I also have the hunting on idle that you describe. Haven't figured this one out yet, but I am pretty sure that it is not a vacuum leak as I have inspected my vacuum lines closely when I had it in bits.

Good luck with your bike!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

That is one sweet looking ride you got there. I can only hope I can find something like that. or close to it. good luck with it and ride ride and ride to your hearts content.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Update today - found 3 pin hole / cracked vacuum lines. tore down carbs and cleaned, not sure if any jets were plugged - its nice to have 150psi of shop air and blow gun. removed both of the removable jets, cleaned and checked all holes I could find. Working on getting it back together, i need to drain fuel tank, and change the oil while its apart....crappy weather here, hopeful a nice day tomorrow for a shake down run.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

update part II
I got her back together today, took her out on a shake down run around the block couple of times (crappy weather today)
Man, She runs like RAPED APE, no more hesitation, pulls to redline on every gear. And get this, I did this with no manual, Just Randakk's dvd on the gl1000 carb overhaul.....And info from this great web site.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

Don't you love it when things actually work out the first time.:banana:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.