Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi folks,

After lurking wingless for a couple of years and absorbing lots of knowledge and wisdom, I picked up my first wing over the weekend. She has 70,000 miles and is in good shape.

Since I have been without a bike for a couple of years and it's my first wing, I road it to a nearby high school parking lot for some low speed practice. After about an hour of slow speed riding with lots of stops and starts, slow uturns etc.,
I noticed coolant temp starting to rise and dripping from beneath the bike. I immediately rode home (only 1/8 of a mile from the lot). I could hear cooling fan running also the sound of coolant "gurgling". The gauge never got to the red zone before I shut the bike off.

Would riding slow, only occasionally exceeding 15-20mph result in overheating, or do I have other problems? Ambient temp at the time was at least 89 degrees. Will check coolant level as soon as she cools down.

Thanks

Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Nice bike! Have fun. About your overheating...you have to find the source of the leak. Could be the thermostat. Others will chime in to help.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

tom, i dont know how much you know about mechanics, i hope at the very least a little, first thing is, this machine should idle and do slow manuevers for hours on end with no problems in 100 degree plus weather, in other words there is a problem, how much of a problem? we will have to determine that, i have a few questions for you, first and maybe most important, do you have any history on the bike? ie. when were the belts changed(you need proof here)? when was it serviced last? has the coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, air and fuel filters been changed? you said the fan was running, is the front of the radiator clean or filled with dust and bugs? i think my first thing to do would be get her full of coolant then take a ride, make it at least an hour and see if it spits any coolant, if not then it could be a water pump not performing as it should, if it gets hot or looses coolant on the ride then we will be looking at some other things

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Mine had this problem, might be one of the reasons PO sold it...

The problem on mine was dried out O rings where the coolant lines enter and leave the block. The good news? The O rings are cheap; the bad news? It is a job getting to them. While there, be sure to replace all rubber hoses, etc. that may be getting old. The coolant needs to be flushed too, while you have it apart.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am the 3rd owner. Second owner bought it 2 years ago. He did not change belts. He didn't know if the first owner had done a belt change or not. I plan on doing so. I built a couple of drag cars so I'm no stranger to a wrench, but my motorcycle mechanical experience is limited.

The foot brake pedal was soft so I have already changed brake fluid and bled left front and rear calipers. I have good pedal now. Previous owner had new pads installed. He also had documentation of a recent clutch slave cylinder replacement by a dealer. No problems there. I will check the coolant level. Another post recommended 2x clear radiator flush and refill with coolant. In addition to checking hoses/tanks, I guess that will be my next move.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

I forgot to suggest checking/changing the radiator cap; I'll bet the problem is dried out O rings.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ok its on now, if you can wrench on a drag car with any success then you can fix this thing, it looks intimidating but you will be fine

i know everyone on this site is probably getting tired of my story about belts but here goes, within 100 mile of buying my first wing it popped a belt, making a long story short it cost me the whole engine, do this first and you can take care of other things at the same time.

get a haynes or clymers or an equivilant publication believe me they are worth the few bucks they cost

first get ahold of a rad. pressure tester and do the test on the cooling system if you can get to the rad enough to perform the test, then do the belts , they are recommended at 50k i think, while you are at it, take the radiator for a professional cleaning, run a compression test, now start wrenching, if ya found any leaks then you know what orings or gaskets to order if ya didnt find any leaks and the cap tests good then i would check the water pump while ya are doing the belts,,,,, i dont know off the top of my head if aftermarket belts are available for the 1500 but i'm sure someone on here will know (if they are available you will probably save about 75% off of honda prices)

dont forget the mannual, it will save you hours of work,,, dont ask me how i know this

by the way, very nice bike!!! i hope you have many years and a couple hundred thousand miles enjoying it

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I would do all as mentioned above.....But the one thing that concerns me is the coolant leak. You need to find where that is coming from as it should not leak. I would fill it full of coolant and ride it till it gets hot and then maybe let it sit and idle and look for leaks. It might be coming from the weep hole on the water pump and if it is you need to replace the pump. Finding the source of the leak would be my first concern.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I have had two cases of coolant leakages on my 1994.

The first one three years ago was the coolant hose had come off the thermostat housing. I believe I put pressure on it when installing the right fan assembly. I took it apart and put the hose back on, tightened it and it has been good since then.

The second case wasthis year the top hose came off the right radiator.I took it apart and found tape on the radiator hose fitting on both sides.This tape is a factory issue noted in many threads on this forum thatcan causethe hose to come off. I removed the tape, put it together and it has been good so far.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Another thing to check is the thermostat. My buddy has a 94 1500 SE and it was losing coolant, overheatingand sometimes would spit out coolant through the overflow hose. He had the thermostat replaced and has been fine since.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Nice ride Arnotr2 .
If you can mosey around a parking lot for an hour in 89 degree weather with no redline on the heat gauge , i would assume all is pretty much ok.
As for the coolant drip , do the standard tests such as determining where the drip is coming from etc.
Check for wettnes at the weep hole in the coolant pump , hoses , rad cap .
If all is well a chemcal flush of the cooling system and a refill of new 50/50 coolant and distilled water is next.
Follow the directions on the flush and coolant containers.
Purge the system as per your bike manual. If you dont have a service manual for your new purchase then get one NOW it will be the best money you will spend on your bike.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks guys for all the responses!!

Got home from work today and checked reserve coolant tank...nothing on the stick. Took off radiator cap and looked down into the radiator and saw nothing. I refilled the radiator and started the bike with the cap off. and added coolant mix until topped off. I also added to the reserve.

Not knowing if the OEM cap was good, for 7.99 I just replaced it with a new one from NAPA.

Rode the bike back to the school lot and rode about another hour slow riding, without the temp gauge going over 3/4 of the way up the scale. Also no sign of any coolant dripping on to the pavement. I then rode around the neighborhood for about half an hour. Again, no overheating or drips. Upon returning home, I parked and let the bike idle. Checked again for drips, coolant smell. None found. :thumbsup:

I think the problem may be solved but still going to keep a close watch on it. Again guys thanks for all the help.

Ride Safe.

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

remember, distilled water cant stress this enough, on a car i wouldnt worry about it but on a goldwing i do.

remember the belts, you dont get any warning on them its a split second thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.