Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain to me the proper operation of the IC knob on radio and what are the proper settings for cb radio and headset.I have explained problems I'm having in previous post. Before I start throwing parts at my new 2000SE/35K , I want to make sure it isn't "operator error!" Intercom operation isn't clear in owner's manual or shop manual. This isn't my first scooter but it is my first one with cb/radio. thx

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Could someone explain to me the proper operation of the IC knob on radio and what are the proper settings for cb radio and headset.I have explained problems I'm having in previous post. Before I start throwing parts at my new 2000SE/35K , I want to make sure it isn't "operator error!" Intercom operation isn't clear in owner's manual or shop manual. This isn't my first scooter but it is my first one with cb/radio. thx
The IC is Intercom. It is the on/off and volume.

Not sure what you mean by "proper settings for cb radio and headset".

I am guessing you are having difficulties somehow- with a headset, you want the headset/speakers switch to be to headset. You should see the icon in the LCD panel. Other than that, not sure what you need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The IC is Intercom. It is the on/off and volume.

Not sure what you mean by "proper settings for cb radio and headset".

I am guessing you are having difficulties somehow- with a headset, you want the headset/speakers switch to be to headset. You should see the icon in the LCD panel. Other than that, not sure what you need.
Ghostvet: see my other recent post on "can't hear headsets". thx

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Well, let me see if I can help as I understand your question... The Intercom is used exclusively to talk to your passenger *** (*** there are exceptions to this but let's go with that explanation for now)...

To turn on the Intercom, you turn the IC knob to the left and adjust the volume as needed for you to hear each other...

The volumes for the CB and radio function independently of each other and the Intercom... While the CB audio and radio audio can be heard either thru the speakers or headsets, the Intercom is heard ONLY thru the headset... The CB and Audio control also have their own button or control to switch from headsets or speakers...

You could have the Intercom and CB coming thru the headsets while the radio comes thru the speakers, or you could have the radio and Intercom be heard thru the headsets while the CB comes thru the speakers... Or you could have all three of them coming thru the headsets and nothing thru the speakers but the intercom will always come thru the headsets...

Concerning the CB and it's squelch setting, the correct way to set it is to turn the squelch knob all the way to the left until your hear RF noise, then advance it slowly to the right until the noise stops... This is it's most sensitive setting... However, when running it this way, you are apt to hear a lot noise breaking the squelch from noisy overhead power lines and other sources of RF noise... If I remember correctly, I used to run my squelch in the 12 o'clock position and that was quite adequate for bike to bike communications...

Now - the "exception" to the intercom operation I noted above - - - there are some devices available for the 1500 that will allow other electronic devices like radar detectors, MP3 players, GPS units to be heard only thru the intercom line and your helmet headset... These devices have their own interface when you buy them and those would be the exception to the intercom only thru the headset comment above...

I hope that makes the intercom/radio/cb operation a bit more understandable...

Les

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
There should be the ability to control the volume of the radio, intercom and the CB separately so make sure you have the proper setting for each. That's usually easy for the radio, turn off the mute and adjust the radio volume. Then for the CB you will need to set the squelch setting. That setting adjusts how sensitive the receiver is for the signal. If you turn it down you will be able to copy someone at a greater distance, but you will also pick up a bunch of other signals/interference. So if you are riding with someone close by, you can turn the squelch up and hear less other interference. It is helpful to adjust the CB volume by turning down the squelch until you hear the interference and then adjust the volume. Then turn the squelch up until you don't get anymore intermittent interference than you care to hear.

In addition to the intercom volume you will be able to set the intercom mute. That will adjust how much voice will be needed to trip the Voice Operated Transmit (VOX) of the intercom system. Again, to low and the wind will trip it at speed, to high and the voice will cut out or not transmit at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.