Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello from Oregon.
I haven't bought it yet, but am considering buying a '78 GL1000 later today. 33k original miles, owner says he has recently gone through everything, rebuilt the carbs and tuned her up. It has a nice looking mustang seat with sissy bar and luggage rack. He's asking $2400 obo for it. It looks to be in great shape in the pics and I can see other gl's in the pics so it sounds like he has some experience with these bikes. I plan on looking at it later today. Fingers crossed that she's a good one. Wish me luck. :)

Cheers,
Bill

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Welcome, WelcomeTo Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were :15red:'sin their previous lives and can answer any question you have. Theforums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum

General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info aboutGoldwing’s and are where you ask questions and can get help..

For Sale/Wanted ForumGood stuff for Sale or if you have old parts sitting around the garage you would like to get rid of....

:18red::15red::12red::11red:

And when all you need is a good laugh to start your day try the:: Fun Forum After that it’s up to you which of the others you will like the best all I can do is suggest.

Again Welcome to the Forum...

Oh and did I mention everyone here loves pictures.. Show us some of yours... Even if it’s not a Goldwing just a pretty view

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome bill97024[/align]

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Welcome from 'The Emerald Isle' to 'The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum':claps:[/align]

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

[align=center]:santawaving:Welcome to the greatest forum on the net:santawaving:

:santahat:Welcome from the "HOOSIER" state:santahat:
[/align]

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum bill97024 and Good Luck! :waving:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. :)

Well, I bought her!! :)
This bike came with a ton of extras...extra sissy bar, extra rack with lights, hard saddle bags, leather saddle bags, highway boards, a small windscreen, and a rack trunk.

The only two things I could find to pick on about this bike is that the tires will need changed pretty soon, and there is a small oil leak coming from the right side fuel pump area that I need to sort out....hopefully just a gasket needing attention.
Otherwise this bike runs so smooth and strong I couldn't help myself...once I rode it I just had to have it. I'll start looking it over in more detail in the coming weeks, but so far I think it's a good one. :)

BTW I gave $2200 for her, and even though I wish I could got her for a little less I think I still did okay. Everything works, she goes like a bolt of lightning, brakes and shifting are smooth and did I mention only 33k original miles. I get to finish breaking her in. :)

Coming from 500 and 600cc bikes I really noticed the weight at first but after half an hour of riding I've fallen in love. This bike give such a nice smooth and comfortable ride I feel like I could ride her all day without a complaint. I took my girlfriend for a quick ride yesterday when I got it home and she agrees. It has a very cushy mustang seat on it that is more comfortable than my layzboy recliner...lol.

I'm sure I'll be scouring the forum and all the good folks' brains on here soon. In the meantime if anyone has access to the factory service manual for this bike and wouldn't mind emailing it to me I would greatly appreciate it. I haven't been able to find one anywhere yet and will like to have the most complete info that I can.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes and support. See you on the road soon.

Here's a couple pics from the ad. I'll have to wait for some sunshine here to take some better ones.

Cheers,
Bill

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Nice wing bill97024:claps:but I'm afraid she is one of the very slow colours :sadguy:[/align]

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

A Big Welcome from Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Redwing wrote:
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Nice wing bill97024:claps:but I'm afraid she is one of the very slow colours :sadguy:[/align]
Lol. I'm sure the red ones go faster, but she seems plenty quick to me. I'm not in as big of a hurry to get places as I used to be though. I'm quickly approaching the age of choosing comfort over speed...lol. I'm not quite ready for the full fairing and luggage but I want a bit more comfort than smaller bikes can offer so this bike fits the bill nicely. :)

Cheers,
Bill

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

bill97024 wrote:
Redwing wrote:
[align=center][/align]

Lol. I'm sure the red ones go faster, but she seems plenty quick to me. I'm not in as big of a hurry to get places as I used to be though. I'm quickly approaching the age of choosing comfort over speed...lol. I'm not quite ready for the full fairing and luggage but I want a bit more comfort than smaller bikes can offer so this bike fits the bill nicely. :)

Cheers,
Bill
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:[/align]

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Nice buy! Looks like you got a good one there.

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well, I've completed putting on new timing belts, adjusted the valves and checked the timing and fired her up. Too much rain and cold to test ride, so that will have to wait a few days, but she fired right up and ran smooth...always a good sign. Thanks to everyone who posted great write-ups all of those things...it sure was helpful doing these things for the first time on a new bike.

Cheers,
Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.