Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finished rebuilding and installing the new Forks to my LTD. The forks had a super brace on them when got them. What a HUGE difference in handling and cornering. Corners that I use to take in second gear and crawled around the corner, I can now just lay it down and it goes to where Im looking and pointing the bike.

Two things I noticed however:

1 - Once up to speed and in fourth gear, I hit the Auto switch on the air and the front doesn't take any, just straight bars across the display for the front. I put in in the manual position and added 3 pounds and it handled a little stiffer, Nice, but stiffer. Why didn't it take any air??

2 - Low speed I can really feel the curvature of the tire on the road. In other words at 15 - 20 MPH, if I go slightly to right, I can feel in the handlebars, the front end coming off the top curve of the tire, Kinda like if there was to much air in the tire, but Im running 32 psi.

Pulls to the left and I can't let go of the handle bars at all, the wobble started immediately one time and the other time it was slight when I purposefully let go and was able to guide the bike by leaning a little each way that I needed to keep stable.

Head bearing seems fine, no movement at all in it, but thought about taking a quarter turn on it to see if it made it better or worse.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

I don't know anything about the air system operation, even though I own a 1200, just haven't bothered to read up on it yet.
#2 feels to me like a bad front tire causing both the pull, wobble and edgy feeling. 32psi is too little pressure.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The tire is fairly new, a couple thousand miles on it, with Dyna Beads., no visible cupping.

Always ran 32 in it because that's what the manufacturers spec is according to the RTFM thing.......

What pressure should I run, since the manual was printed in 1985 and tire was made in 2010

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Most people run about 40psi front and rear. Makes the tires last considerably longer and handle better. Don't know why Honda is so stuck on 32psi on just about everything they make.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Dave, I'll up it to 40 in the Morning before I go for a ride. I think Im running 42 in the rear tire already.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

I wasn't aware you could use the 1200'sonboard compressor while riding. Learn something every day... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
I wasn't aware you could use the 1200'sonboard compressor while riding. Learn something every day... :gunhead:
You can use the LTDs on board compressor while riding. Don't know about the Aspy as I never owned one. I did have the LTD though and I know that to be correct.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

You may havetweaked the forks a little when you torqued down the brace. Do a standard re-alignment and see if it changes anything.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The brace came with the forks already assembled, and how it came off the old bike, triple tree and all (which I didn't use). These things are clean, not a spot or pit on them anywhere. They weren't leaking but figured they were out and I had a set of seals and wipers.

Question is.... Whats a Standard Re Alignment??? How do you do that??

As far as adding air while moving. Mine will let me add air if im in fourth gear or higher and traveling more than 45, or sitting completely still in neutral.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

Did you check the upper tubes for straightness?

To re-align forks:

Loosen axle bolts, brake mounts, fender bolts, forkbrace bolts and lower triple clamp bolts. Let all the air out of forks.

Roll the fronttire against a 4X4 or other solid object.

Without touching the brake, compress the fork several times.

Re-torque everything from the top down.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ok, thanks for that explanation. Also read a previous post while doin a search about alignment using 2 boards on each side of the tires, from and back, then measuring the tips of the handle bars to the center of the set. I will try both methods.

I did check the fork tubes for trueness by rolling them on a flat surface and looking for airspace between the fork and the surface, they seem to be as flat as my first girlfriend, just hope these last longer than she did....... Not to mention ride quieter.......:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Amazing what a well-done suspension does to your ride, isn't it.

I'm fortunate to live not too far from RaceTech, and have those guys tweak everything I have.

After a well done suspension (respring, better fork braces, different valving, etc) it sometimes makes you question the OEM.

A friend of mine bought the BMW S1000RR when it was new (2009?) and proceeded to drop $3,000 into suspension improvements immediately. (On an already $20k bike!)

Sure makes it nice.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am amazed at the cornering ability. The road coming into my development where I live is like an 85 degree turn, not quite a 90 and wide on the swing into it. Before, I could sometimes stay in 3rd gear around this corner doing maybe 30 MPH, last night i did it in 3rd but doing 42 and thought it road better through the turn than ever. Response on the road is incredible, I can feel everything I do now, which is why in my first post I said it felt like I was rolling off the center of the tire, or Dave said, "Edgy" which is a good word. A lot of that is because I have a nice flow through the front end now and can feel a little more of what Im doing, but it handles amazing.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Ok, thanks for that explanation. Also read a previous post while doin a search about alignment using 2 boards on each side of the tires, from and back, then measuring the tips of the handle bars to the center of the set. I will try both methods.
I think the alignment you are reading about there is forthe rear wheel alignment on a chain drive bike.

Fork alignment is to "un-twist" the fork.Thisaligns the upper and lower tubes so they work more smoothly with each other. Ithelps the front tire to roll straight, too.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK, I did the 2 suggestions, Front tire at 40 PSI and to losen everything on the front, push down on the front end, about 10 times (or more) (harder to do without hitting the brake that I thought)then tightened everything back up starting at the top down.

Went for a ride...... and rode....... and rode...... and rode...... Didn't want to stop.... Was going to go have lunch with CJ but I gotta be in Pa tomorrow.

Incredible is the only way to describe this ride now. Took my hands off the bars at low speed, nothing..... Ride at low speeds or high speeds, smooth and as comfortable as could be.
Edit: I should add that when I hit the auto on the air while in the garage, the front went to 1 pound, out on the road I did it again, and it went to 4 pounds. What I did that would have made a difference I don't know. I wonder if the forks just weren't seated 100%.

Thanks Dave and Dennis, I appreciate your input and help..... INVALUABLE!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.