Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The previous owner always used Mobil 1. Do I have to stick with Mobil 1 and do i have to stick with synthetic. If there are consequences, I'd like to hear them.

Its only 47000 miles on the bike.

Thanks

Rob

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

HI:

You shouldget lots of opinionshere on this. What I have readon car engines:
If you use synthetic continuously, you're fine. If you change to non-synthetic, it was advised notto switch back to synthetic. It was not clear as to why. Just stating what I have read.
Meself: Use Shell Rotella 10-40 synthetic from Wally World [I believe it's a blend and not full synthetic; is approx. $21 bucks per gallon, locally]. Am happy with it;not planning to change. Have used it for last 3 years; so do many other Wing owners in my sidecar club. My two cents. TTFN.....Old Tom in NH
P.S. Forgot; Sorry: Rotella I usecomes in BLUE jug

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You and I are in similar situations. When I got my 1500 at 69k I was told it had always been on Mobil-1. I found the Mobil-1 was fine with my ride but I wanted to try others.
So I bought into the GWRRA coolaid for Rotella-T blue jug and tried it for a while.
Hated it.
Later found my way to Chevron Delo-400 and found it worked very much like the Mobil-1 had. Been with it ever since and happy.

I see no reason why going back and forth between Syn and Dyno willy nilly should make any significant difference, if at all.

Sure wouldn't keep me from doing it.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
....I see no reason why going back and forth between Syn and Dyno willy nilly should make any significant difference, if at all. ...
The only issue that I have ever heard when switching back and forth, is that the "dino" oil has more "light end" solvent that can soften/swell the rubber hence the "dooms-day" adage that going back to syn will shrink that seals and the engine may leak oil.... If you seals are in good shape, this should not be an issue, and I agree with Rudy.. use what you want... it is not likely that you will see anything...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

Hi Redbear,

In your owners manual there are parameters given for motor oil.

Any modern oil probably exceeds those parameters.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In a word, no. Shouldn't matter if your change from one to another. I've been using DELO 400 15W40 in just about everything I own for years, it's a good petroleum base oil. My 1200 SEI had Amsoil synthetic in it when I bought it but it didn't complain when I changed it to DELO. One other bike I had in my shop came in with Mobil synthetic. It went out with DELO dino stuff. The new owner hadn't had a problem by the time I left Tacoma and gave up the shop. He hadn't had any problems after three years and he's still using dino oil.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I greatly appreciate the input, thanks.

Also I came across Bob is the Oil Guy web site and it seems to confirm or agree with opinions here. Thanks again.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

redbear wrote:
...Also I came across Bob is the Oil Guy web site and it seems to confirm or agree with opinions here. Thanks again.
I guess that confirms that Bob got it right :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

You can clearly switch back and forth at will. I use the Shell Rotella T Synthetic, which is an excellent Group 3 oil and has a good additive mix. Mobil 1 is excellent oil, however, and if its been used before with good results, why change?
I have used DELO in my boat diesel for years and it has worked well.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
imported post

The advice that you can't go back to dino oil is BS and all from the dealers who want to get your $$$$ in their hands.

Synthetic in a motorcycle is a waste of $$$ because it will get dirty just as fast as dino oil and should be changed out at the same mileage figure anyway.

It has been said before, you cannot justify (cost wise) using synthetic oils unless you have a very good bypass oil filter that will keep the dirt out of the oil.

Diesel rigs use bypass oil filters, they can go a very long time without changing oil. Just filters and make up oil added. I know of some trucking companies that never change out the oil, ever... They just replace the bypass filters and use oil analysis to watch for problems.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
The advice that you can't go back to dino oil is BS and all from the dealers who want to get your $$$$ in their hands.

Synthetic in a motorcycle is a waste of $$$ because it will get dirty just as fast as dino oil and should be changed out at the same mileage figure anyway.

It has been said before, you cannot justify (cost wise) using synthetic oils unless you have a very good bypass oil filter that will keep the dirt out of the oil.

Diesel rigs use bypass oil filters, they can go a very long time without changing oil. Just filters and make up oil added. I know of some trucking companies that never change out the oil, ever... They just replace the bypass filters and use oil analysis to watch for problems.
Good comments!! (now what about adding a Frantz(sp)????:waving:.. naah.. don't want to hijack the thread..)

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Maybe I missed something on the Shell Rotella,I look and could not find it in the 10/40 as papasmurf stated.
What I put in is the 15/40 Rotella in a white jug,yes the Wife picked it up from walley world for 11 a gallon,is this the stuff you guys are speaking of running?
I sure do hope so.......

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
...15/40 Rotella in a white jug,.....,is this the stuff you guys are speaking of running?
Yup, a very good oil.. another favorite (that I like better) is the Delo 400 15W40.. doesn't seem to thin out quite as quickly as the Rotella.. (next change, try it?? and give your opinion??)

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Thanks,for straighten that out for me sandiegobrass.

I thought about the Chevron Oil before,I know for a fact it is good oil.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
Maybe I missed something on the Shell Rotella,I look and could not find it in the 10/40 as papasmurf stated.
What I put in is the 15/40 Rotella in a white jug,yes the Wife picked it up from walley world for 11 a gallon,is this the stuff you guys are speaking of running?
I sure do hope so.......
There is regular shell rotella. Then there is Shell rotella T Synthetic in the blue jug. About $20 MOL at wally world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.