Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just picked up a fixer-upper... a GL1500. I've owned a GL1000 and several GL1200's but this is my first GL1500SE. It's an anniversary edition, 1995. It needs a little work. I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road. I was told it needs an altermator. I will test it first before I do anything. I've learned that taking people's word for it can lead me down the wrong path.

Plant Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Sky Plant Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Hood Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting in your first pic its a Honda towing a Honda on a trailer. Looks like a nice bike that needs some TLC.
:)
I have 4 Hondas (2 cars 2 motorcycles) and 1 Alfa Romeo. Seems I gravitate towards Honda for some reason.

·
Premium Member
82,013 Posts
Hallo rlajbsmith

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

Reactions: rlajbsmith

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you probably have towed a lot bikes, but leaving that kickstand down is a no no, it will causes stress cracks in the frame.
I've never heard this. I've towed at least a dozzen bikes in lots of different ways. I have a chock but I couldn't use it this time as I had limited light and had to get over to pick it up quickly before dark. Next time. However on dismount I had a ramp failure (never had that happen before). It turnd into a little bit of a disaster because I was alone, but I finally got it down without any damage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I charged up the battery and tried to start it. It didn't turn over at all, just clicking. I even tried jumping it with my car thinking that maybe the amps on the battery couldn't handle the load, no go. HMMM. I'll try taking out the plugs next time and moving the rear wheel in 5th. Anyone have an easier way to turn the crankshaft manually?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
63,239 Posts
I've never heard this. I've towed at least a dozen bikes in lots of different ways. I have a chock but I couldn't use it this time as I had limited light and had to get over to pick it up quickly before dark. Next time. However on dismount I had a ramp failure (never had that happen before). It turnd into a little bit of a disaster because I was alone, but I finally got it down without any damage.
The Goldwings are heavy bikes, and pulling down on the straps with the kick stand down, is putting a huge amount of stress on a component that is not designed for that.... I have read many posts since I joined this forum in 2006, about frame cracks after tying down the bike on the side stand.

all bikes "should be" run into a Chock to hold them vertical, and then strap down the front using the short Double Loop straps over the Triple Trees....
and never, tying down the frame period... never.... just use a single strap around the rear wheel to prevent it from sliding sideways in the trailer.

This allows the rear suspension to work as it was designed to do, absorb bumps/road shocks as it is transported.

Saw Helmet Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
63,239 Posts
Automotive tire Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle Tire

from the side

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Car

it was raining heavy the day I brought it back home from a local repair shop, so I left it on the trailer for a couple days, just threw the cover over it fast.
those covers will NOT stay on the bike, while it is being towed. Plus, they will grind the finish off the paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts