Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
I just purchased a new to me trike. It's a 1993 Honda Goldwing GL1500. I have a couple of questions regarding the lights.

Question 1) The front of the trike has both curb lights at the bottom, and fog lights on it. All the front lights work as they should, but I can not locate a switch to turn on the fog lights. Can anyone give me any idea of where that switch might be located?

Question 2) The rear running lights, turn signals, etc., all work correctly on the trunk, but the running lights on the lower rear fender portion are not coming on with the upper lights. Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of this, and how to fix it? I wasn't sure if the bottom lights might have a separate fuse, or switch, or something from the top lights, or if it more than likely be a break in the wiring between the trunk lights and the fender lights?

Any suggestions or information to get these issues corrected/fixed that you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dennis. The PO said when I bought it that he hadn't located a switch for the fogs, but I'm sure there has to be one somewhere, so I will follow the wires. I do have a card for the builder, and perhaps they can give me some insight on the other.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
A picture of the front lights might help, as well as one of handlebar / dash area. As to lower rear lights, guessing the kit used the OEM Honda tail lights?

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Hello All.
I just purchased a new to me trike. It's a 1993 Honda Goldwing GL1500. I have a couple of questions regarding the lights.

Question 1) The front of the trike has both curb lights at the bottom, and fog lights on it. All the front lights work as they should, but I can not locate a switch to turn on the fog lights. Can anyone give me any idea of where that switch might be located?

Question 2) The rear running lights, turn signals, etc., all work correctly on the trunk, but the running lights on the lower rear fender portion are not coming on with the upper lights. Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of this, and how to fix it? I wasn't sure if the bottom lights might have a separate fuse, or switch, or something from the top lights, or if it more than likely be a break in the wiring between the trunk lights and the fender lights?

Any suggestions or information to get these issues corrected/fixed that you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

When she listed "curb lights", I interpret that to mean "cornering lights". But I have been wrong before....!!:grin3:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cant help you much appart from to say be methodical in testing.
I have just rewired a 1500 trike for a mate but the lighting rules here in UK vary from yours for instance no orange running lights they have to be blinkers.
I did find that a lot of "mods" do seem to overload the ground connector pins in the multiblocks, so much so that they melt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys I haven't been on here for a few days. Last week and the weekend were crazy busy, and this week ain't looking much better. I haven't done much more searching, but will hopefully get to start my search again very soon.

Thank you DBohrer for the 22 pin document it will come in handy for sure. I have Not checked the fairing pockets, but will put that at the top of my list when I get back out there for sure. Yes cornering lights are the proper name for the so call curb lights that I listed oops lol so I am the one who was wrong this time around, and lol I'll probably be the one who is wrong next go around too as I, being a girl that is not very mechanically savvy, knows very little about what the heck I'm doing, but with the help here on this wonderful forum I'm sure I'll get it figured out in time. :). I will for sure let you all know when I find out what the problem is, so hopefully it will help the next guy/gal who has the same issue.

Thank you Pwhoever. Yes I'm sure they aren't the turning lights (cornering lights). Mine actually has both on it. I'll post some pics ASAP.

Crystalpistol I will take some pictures and get them posted very soon. It's been raining here so the bike is covered up, I have to go OOT tomorrow, and lol I'm on grandkiddo duty the entire end of the week, so it might take a few days to get back out there to take them. I'm hoping they are OEM.

Bryanlj- Thank you. I'm hoping an overload isn't the case here, but I'm sure I'll be able to determine in time if anything has melted in there or not.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, etc. I'll hopefully be able to get the pics that have been requested, and get started searching again very soon.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Cant help you much appart from to say be methodical in testing.
I have just rewired a 1500 trike for a mate but the lighting rules here in UK vary from yours for instance no orange running lights they have to be blinkers.
I did find that a lot of "mods" do seem to overload the ground connector pins in the multiblocks, so much so that they melt

One "Green" ground wire provides the ground for all lights on the rear of the bike (Trike in this case).

All her other lights are working good, that tells me it is not a ground issue with the "Orange" ground blocks..

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Hello All.

The running lights on the trunk and lower rear fender are powered from two different sources.

Running lights on the trunk are powered from the # 3 tail main relay (located in the relay box). No issues here....!!

Running lights on the lower rear fender are powered from the ignition switch.

Hate to ask but have you checked the bulbs....??

Next check for power on the "Brown" wire at the 22-pin connector under the seat. There should be power....!!

If so, then you have a problem between the connector and the lights on the fender. Trace/check the wires.....!!

However, since this is a Trike conversion, maybe the installer wired the lower lights somewhat different....dunno....!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have a kit that converts the cornering lights to driving lights. Instructions for installation:
http://www.bigbikeparts.com/catalog/documents/52-/52-595_52-595L.pdf
But are these the originals converted or an added later set?
Thank you Trikelady. I have no idea if they are original converted or added later. I do know that they are still set up as cornering lights and not running lights as they only come on when the specific turn signal is turned on, but when they were put into place I really don't know. There is a card in the trunk from the builder, and perhaps there are other papers in there that might tell me more about when they were put in, etc.?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The running lights on the trunk and lower rear fender are powered from two different sources.

Running lights on the trunk are powered from the # 3 tail main relay (located in the relay box). No issues here....!!

Running lights on the lower rear fender are powered from the ignition switch.

Hate to ask but have you checked the bulbs....??

Next check for power on the "Brown" wire at the 22-pin connector under the seat. There should be power....!!

If so, then you have a problem between the connector and the lights on the fender. Trace/check the wires.....!!
Thank you for the info DBohrer I'm sure it will come in very handy once I get started. I really haven't started checking anything yet including the bulbs, but there are several lights across that lower fender and none of them work, so I'm thinking the bulbs aren't the issue but I will certainly check them and rule that out. It will probably be next week before I'm able to even get started checking anything because I'm going to have my 3 grandbabies this week 9, 4, and 2, and lol those little boogers keep their Naw Naw hopping for sure.

·
Magic Moderator
4,264 Posts
Thank you Trikelady. I have no idea if they are original converted or added later. I do know that they are still set up as cornering lights and not running lights as they only come on when the specific turn signal is turned on, but when they were put into place I really don't know. There is a card in the trunk from the builder, and perhaps there are other papers in there that might tell me more about when they were put in, etc.?
By chance do you know if the Wing is an SE model? The lights would then be OEM.
Post a pic when you can of the trike, as there are things specific to the SE.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
So, there are the cornering lights and then there are two fog lights? There is a possibility that the prior owner or someone put the fog lights on by mounting them and just never got to locating a switch or wiring yet?

Is there any out of place looking switches in odd places? Any housings (usually chrome like) with switches on top of the clutch or front brake master cylinder reservoirs?

On a stock GL1500, switches were all on handlebars so a rider's hands stayed on the grips, any mounted elsewhere are candidates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By chance do you know if the Wing is an SE model? The lights would then be OEM.
Post a pic when you can of the trike, as there are things specific to the SE.

There is nothing on the trike that specifically says SE, but I looked up the difference in the Goldwings for that year, and some of the things like the CB, adjustable rider foot pegs, etc. that were specific to the SE in 1993 are present on it. So I hope when I take the pictures next week that they will be able to give us more insight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, there are the cornering lights and then there are two fog lights? There is a possibility that the prior owner or someone put the fog lights on by mounting them and just never got to locating a switch or wiring yet?

Is there any out of place looking switches in odd places? Any housings (usually chrome like) with switches on top of the clutch or front brake master cylinder reservoirs?

On a stock GL1500, switches were all on handlebars so a rider's hands stayed on the grips, any mounted elsewhere are candidates.
Yes that is correct. There are the cornering lights, and then 2 fog lights. I have looked around some but haven't located any switch for the fogs so far. The elderly man that I purchased it from is a friend of mine and my late husband. (My husband passed away on Oct 24th of last year, so it's been a long year to say the least).

Anyway our friend that I recently bought it from is a seasoned rider, but he didn't own it too long before deciding to stop riding due to medical issues himself. He said that he searched for a switch, but was never able to locate one for them, so you very well could be correct in that one was never put on there? I do know that there are wires leading from the fogs up inside the trike, but I haven't had a chance yet to try to trace them to the inside to see if I can locate the switch that way. Hopefully next week will be a less hectic week to get started with more extensive searching for the switch, and finding the cause of the lower lights not working. Thank you for your suggestions on where to search though for when I'm able to get started.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Just a thought, have you started the trike, and tried both high beam and low beams while standing so you can see fog lights?

It is not unusual for cars or pickups to have fog lights wired so they just come on with low beam headlights. In my state, it is required that no more than 4 lights be able to be lit for general illumination purposes so if a 4 headlight system, fogs lights must be wired so they can only be used with low beams. I have had people ask me if that meant MCs, and it does, but your 1500 has only the two headlights OEM, so your's could be set on a switch (as mine are, with relay & fuse too). I added all this explanation just to illustrate why some might just wire fog lights to only work on low beams, like car makers do (our Mustang GT, my F-150, her Forester are like this). Maybe some states require it (not Va.).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a thought, have you started the trike, and tried both high beam and low beams while standing so you can see fog lights?

It is not unusual for cars or pickups to have fog lights wired so they just come on with low beam headlights. In my state, it is required that no more than 4 lights be able to be lit for general illumination purposes so if a 4 headlight system, fogs lights must be wired so they can only be used with low beams. I have had people ask me if that meant MCs, and it does, but your 1500 has only the two headlights OEM, so your's could be set on a switch (as mine are, with relay & fuse too). I added all this explanation just to illustrate why some might just wire fog lights to only work on low beams, like car makers do (our Mustang GT, my F-150, her Forester are like this). Maybe some states require it (not Va.).
I have Not checked to see if they might by chance come on with the High beams, but they are not coming on with the Low Beams.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts