Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right guys advice is being solicited. I am NEW to riding, I haven't ridden since I left the farm 30 years ago. This past summer my son got a 1984 GL1200 and is now moving to Colorado for work and he is leaving the bike with me. I am 50 years old. I have scheduled a beginners safety course at the local community collage, and have made contact with some of the GW motor cycle drill team here in eastern NC and plan on hanging out with them some maybe it will rub off on me, any good articles to read or videos to watch? or advice you can pass on. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Robert, First off, you have made some wise choices all ready, 1. you have a son that has given you his goldwing, Awesome, 2. you have a son that appreciates goldwings, again, awesome, 3. You have signed up for the basic riding course, great move, and finally and most of all, you sought out and joined this site.

This site is probably the most comprehensive GOLDWING site out there. It is world wide, and you don't get much more then that. I'm good at this type of thing, but if you ever have any questions about the wing itself, this is the place to ask. There is more live knowledge on this site then there is at any honda dealership. The members are smart, in more ways then one, generous with their opinions, but generous of heart as well.

Check out the site, do lots of reading, and ask as many questions as you want, heck they haven't kicked me off yet.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the world of the GOLDWING, probably the most comfortable ride on 2 wheels. Oh and hats off to your son.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What did you ride 30 years ago?

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Welcome Robert!

Do you have access to a small bike so that you can get the feel of two wheels again? I know you've had some experiance with bikes in the past, but it's been some time. A Goldwing isn't exactly a beginners bike!

If you feel comfortable on your son's 1200, then be sure to get some parking lot time in before you put your neck (or anyone elses) on the line in traffic.

Enjoy your return to riding!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I dont have access to a smaller bike but I have rode the GW and my other sons 750 H Shadow around the yard a bunch this past summer but your correct I plan on getting lots of parking lot time befor hitting the road. I beleave I have two things to my advantage I am 6.3 and 250 lbs and I teach a drivers saftey cource for GE so I know alot of what to be on the lookout for but just dont have the behind the handel bar time, Looking forward to the summer

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Take a class

With you being a class instructor you should realize the importance of proper training. Invest in your well being and take a MSF Learn to ride basic training class.
When my son wanted to buy a bike I inisisted he first take the class.
When he was done he was an accomplished confident ride lacking only in experience rather than ability. This showed me the value of the class..he learned things in 1 week that I learned the hard way over 30 years of riding motorcycles.
I wish I had taken a class when I started too...but now we are talking about taking an experienced rider class next year...
Be safe and good luck
my 2¢

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son took that corse and had a great time and learned a lot and that was one of the requirements of him leaving me the bike "that I take it as well" I have it on my schedual in Feb its a Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday. PS was just up in Wi Milwalkie for 3 weeks went to see the HD meusieum great place this time of year had a lovley time

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
My story is similar to yours. I rode on a Honda 175 up until a big wreck at age 15. Waited until I was 35 to get another bike and bought a brand new 1500, took off , and was on the interstate and all roads as if the 20 years had not passed. The Wings are so easy to handle I never looked back. Been riding Wings since 1998. (14 years this December). I love their versatility.

Just get on it and ride and of course be careful.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Goldwing family Robert . Taking the saftey course is a superb idea . Since you have some riding skill , you might try and get to a parking lot(empty is best) and just get comfortable starting /stopping . then begin to work on slow turns moving to figure 8s when your ready.
Here is a link to a place for some video instruction if your interested . Welcome to Ride Like A Pro | Order your motorcycle instruction DVD's online

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Your in about the same spot I was a couple of years ago. I had ridden dirt bikes and four wheelers. I had always wanted a bike so I started looking around, found a wing. I told my wife I would take the course to learn the proper riding techniques. I finished it and started riding parking lots and once I was comfortable there, I moved to quiet side streets. From there I kept upgrading until I was on the highway. Now even though you are a big guy, beware that the bike is still a big bike and will fall over very easy. One misplaced foot or a second not paying attention and it has you looking silly. Don't worry we have all done it. The best thing you can do is take the course and like any other thing practice practice practice. Good luck and welcome to the party.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
I rode throughout the sixties on small Hondas, then re-entered in my forties with a Suzuki 750. That was thirty years ago. Now, after hundreds of thousands of miles of successful two-up touring (only one deer accident), I would also say -- get a smaller bike to familiarize yourself to riding again. Even though I survived it, I had several close calls with that Suzuki 750, close calls that I might have avoided had I re-entered with a smaller bike, about 250cc.

The MSF class is an absolute must, but even more absolute is simply much time in the saddle, and your best way of surviving the necessary time in the saddle is on something smaller than a Wing. And this is easily done; get a 250 Honda Nighthawk or Rebel or a Yammie 225 dualsport, and get out there on those secondary, relatively traffic free roads. You wont' lose money.....people are always looking for starter bikes and you can sell and recoup your investment....good luck!

Thirty years ago......

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I have to agree with getting a smaller bike to practice on if thats practical for you to do. I did exactly what you did however.......

I had a CB360 years ago and when I got back into riding, I started with a GL1200, then graduated to a 1500. I took the riders safety course with my son and it was a huge help to us, but the real test and training came from practicing on back roads and parking lots.

Good luck, you'll do fine in whatever you choose to do!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Small cc bikes are too small for your frame size. If you want a full size bike that is pretty easy to ride find a Suzuki Volusia or Boulevard. (same bike, with a name change) It is an 800cc motorcycle, big enough for your body size and light weight. a Good used one can be had for $2500. Ride for a summer and sell it for $2600!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.