Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All,

On advice from another member I'm posting this here as well as in the new members forum.
I've joined to learn as much as I can about Goldwings. I used to be a standard/sportbike guy but my body is telling me that I need a new riding position.
Any insights gained would be welcomed.
I know I'm looking for a bike that is reliable, well maintained and priced so that if I get in I can get out without getting burned too badly. Now my budget is tops at $5k but that will change as time goes on. So basically I'm looking for bang for the buck and a machine that will provide a good experience for big-boy touring.
I've read through the buyers guide. Very helpful. Also learned to think about ergonomics (I'm 6'3'') and wind management. I also tend to do more damage with tools than if I had just left the problem alone. Any model years particularly bullet-proof or will I just have to find a Goldwing guru.
thanks

tom

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

You came to the right place. welcome to the best forum on the net. at that price point you can find a nice 1500. the 1500's are better for tall people or people with long legs. other people can tell you more as far as models and accessories

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

That money will get you a nice 1500 Wing Tom. You will like the reverse gear and all the comforts. If you need any help or info, you know where we are.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Welcome Tom, you found the best Goldwing forum right here.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard. You have come to the right place. There are a lot of subject matter experts on here that can answer your questions about any issue you might have.

$5000 will get you a really nice GL1500. Good luck with your research and purchase.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Welcome. I wasn't even looking for a Goldwing. It found me and I had no money budgeted for a bike at the time. You have an advantage in that you have an idea of what you are looking for and you have a budget to work with. Take your time and find the right bike. Do a lot of reading here about the different models and how they may be equipped. There are a few other North Carolinian's here and if you are looking at one in the Charlotte area, let me know. I would be happy to come take a look with you.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

All

Thanks for the warm welcome. This is clearly the best Goldwing forum on the planet and certainly tops of any enthusiast site I've belonged to.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the FORUM:waving:

You can get a good 1500 in that price range. Since you state you are more dangerous with tools (hey at least you try) look for one that the PO has all the maintenace logs. This will help you to decide what if anything will need to be done when you purchase the bike. The major things to look out for is the fork seals, alternator and the timing belts. Fork seals are easy to check but not the easiest to replace. The alternator is a little harder. I forget what year they changed the alternator manufacturer but after the change the reliability went way down. There will be someone else along to verify the year that this all happened. The timing belts (2) should be changed if it's not known when or if they have been replaced. It just makes good sense to do this and gets rid of the possibility of a belt breaking and it eating a valve or valves. Not hard to do either.

Even one that has a 75000+ miles will last a long time if the PO took good care of it.

Just ask questions, someone here will be able to answer them for you.:waving:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Las Vegas NV. You have now entered the goldwing ZONE!!!!!! :waving::waving::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: There are a lot of great people here and there is always someone to HELP.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

Oh My God. You are about to be addicted to Gold Wings. They are the best built, fun to ride bikes around. My 1200 is just getting broke in with 83,000 miles and very few maintenance problems.
If you love to ride and not wrench, these aree great bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

If your budget is 5000 dollars don't go looking for a 4500 bike. There are very few motorcycles in the under $5000 dollar mark that don't need any work done on them.
I would recomend anyone looking at goldwings to start out on an gl100. They are easily the best goldwings ever made,
That beening said they usually need lots of work and are an ongoing pleasue for those who like to tinker as well as ride.They are also dated as far as creature comforts go. Which is one reason to start on one.
The 1500's are very modern compaired with the earlier wings and if well taken care of are pretty trouble free.
I picked up my 90 wing for $2000 and have not done any work on it atoll it is just turn key and ride thats a major change from the othe r2 wings I have. It does need some work over the winter new tires belts and the seat is a little worn but nice bike . But i'm very glad I did not start out with it. The other smaller wings taught me alot about riding wings that I could never have learned rideing the big wing. Several peaple I have talked to who started out on the 1500 do not have near the comfort level that I have on my 1500 and they have been riding there 1500 many yrs longer than me.
So to answer your question I would think you should look at a well maitained 1200 in the 3000 nto 3500 dollar range
Wilf

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Radstom, welcome to the forum. You should have no problem this time of year finding a nice 1500 in your price range. Im just north of you so if you need assistance in looking at anything, let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.