Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone. My name is Adam and I've recently had a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing passed on to me by my father. (this might hurt some of you but...) I've decided to strip the bike of all of the fairings, saddle bags, and trunk and try to sell them to raise some money for the repairs and parts the bike needs.

I've been told that the fairings are hard to find these days and the ones I have are in good quality. They have their share of scratches and marks, but there are (almost) no cracks. I have no idea what price range these parts go for (assuming I sell them privately or post them on ebay), so I thought to turn to a more knowledgable crowd for help with this matter. I'll post a link to the picturess of these parts and I hope you all can help me with this matter. Thanks.

www.geocities.com/incendio_the_burster/goldwing.html
(this page was thrown together quickly, sorry for the quality...)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Hi Adam,

My friend, I average 1 month of studying prices and trends before I trade on ebay. I cut and paste info to a spreadsheet and then when I am ready I move. So far I have done well, been stung twice but both were my own fault and it was for $10.00 items.

My advice would be to do the same, start tracking with favorite searches your items then when you have ranges established, put them in with rock solid reserve levels. If they do not fetch your reserve, wait and hit them again. Some of what you have can even be broken down further for more profit.

But take your time and you can profit.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info, I suppose checking the completed items would speed the process up a bit too. Hadn't thought of something that simple...

I am curious as to what you think I should break down even further.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees said it pretty much the way I'd do it. I just sold some aftermarket parts that was on my '93 Aspy that I bought. Cleared a nice amount of folding stuff for it, more than I expected.

I've done a good bit of buying and selling on eBay and have had good luck. Like the man says search eBay motors for stuff like you want to sell and see what prices are like. If you don't see parts like you have, it's probably good since you won't be competing with so many others. So set a minimum price you'll take, set at your reserve, set your opening bid at a third of the reserve to get things rolling and wait it out. eBay is pretty reasonable on their listing price, you'll be charged a percentage if your items sell but it's reasonable compared to the cost of listing in a newspaper. The nice thing about eBay is that it's seen by a lot more people than any other venue.

BTW a lot of us admire "naked Goldwings". There have been some pretty radical Goldwing Choppers, Goldwing Cruisers and other modified Goldwings. About the only thing I haven't seen is a trail bike Goldwing. No Moto Cross either!

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Adam,

These guys are exactly right, sell them on ebay after you watch a few similar items sell, put the least amount you would settle for as a reserve, and end the auction on a sunday if possible, the weekends seem to work out better, more lookers, I have sold everything from coke bottles to tractors on ebay, and I have had very good luck getting a good price. I have bought everything from motorcycles to beer can collectables all with great results,,,be careful about bidders with 0 transactions. Good Luck and I hope you can get ridding very soon. The season is upon us.

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Reserves suck big time. Just start the auction at your least amount if you are so inclined. I have had over 500 or more ebay auctions, and have never had a reserve. Makes no sense to me. Usually I start the auction at a tad bit more than what I have in it, and let the market decide how much they are worth. I'll make money no matter what.

There have been numerous auctions on ebay for fairings, there was even a few new ones. I missed out on a Hondaline fairing that was brand new pull off a CB bike, and it had all the accessories with it. It only went for $125 or so. Made me sick!

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Izual :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper: Now that you have got all the info about selling your parts :jumper:would you please update your profile and complete the LOCATION section and tell us what country you hide in. :stumped:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Breaking down.......

Let's say a saddle bag will go for $80.00 complete,

or $60.00 sans hardware and then you sell the hardware for a total say $40.00...($10.00 each lock set and $10.00 each hinge set. )

A grand total of $100.00 and $20.00 more than you would get for the complete item.

I tend to like reserves to feel out the market like Paul does. When he sold the GREEN MACHINE, he told us he set the reserve high to see where the value lay. Someone met the reserve and he bought it so I have to say it worked for him. (Even though he had a perfectly serious offer from myself to babysit the GREEN MACHINE for him!!)

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Reserves suck big time. Just start the auction at your least amount if you are so inclined. I have had over 500 or more ebay auctions, and have never had a reserve. Makes no sense to me. Usually I start the auction at a tad bit more than what I have in it, and let the market decide how much they are worth. I'll make money no matter what.

There have been numerous auctions on ebay for fairings, there was even a few new ones. I missed out on a Hondaline fairing that was brand new pull off a CB bike, and it had all the accessories with it. It only went for $125 or so. Made me sick!

Raymond

Raymond is correct about the reserve, when I said "put the least amount you would settle for as a reserve" I meant the starting bid,,,sorry I was not more specific. It will serve as a reserve without having one....

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

One part that makes no sense, is ebay charges you a lower price for a lower starting bid, but charges you extra if you set a reserve on it. So either way, ebay is gonna get their money.

I can't complain about ebay much, I have bought many great items, and solds lots of stuff and made a mint in the process. With it I would never have gotten top dollar from sellers in Norway, Sweden, Japan, Australia, etc, etc..

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

When buying on ebay I really don't like seeing the reserves... I usually skip right to the nextitem instead of wasting time bidding on something that might have a stupidly high reserve.

That's why I never put a reserve on things that I sell on ebay - I think a lot of people are put off by them. Whatever the market bears is what I get... instead of junk on my shelves I have money in my pocket for more bike stuff, trips, or whatever.

I've seen many things start at really low prices turn into a bidding frenzy - it works if there's a market for it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks once again everyone for the advice. I've started my ebay research and I'm starting to get an idea of what I can do there. Feel free to keep sending advice my way, I know I can sure use it. And I'll try to get my profile set up tonight Redwing...

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Izual wrote:
I'll try to get my profile set up tonight Redwing...
Hey Izual :waving: Thank you. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

To Reserve or not to Reserve... I put a reserve on some items especially larger items. When I sold my 1200 on ebay, I didn't want a starting price that was my minimum since that might be a bit steepto start with. I think having the opening price set at 50-70% of reserve gets some bids on the item early on. Having 0 bids on an item for several days doesn't help generate interest.

With small items I will use a starting price close to what I think it will sell for. The risk of this is that often you will underestimate what something will go for. I sold a plastic piece that wraps around the lower part of the trunk box, kind of an air dam or skirt. I set an opening price of $20 and it went for $76. Who'da thunk? The unwanted accessories I took off this bike and sold brought in about 8% of the purchase price of the bike. That's a lot of cash for something I didn't want in the first place. The stuff I was selling is still fairly common on eBay since it's for a 1500, I would think good stuff off an early model especially good plastic should sell very well since it's going to be less commonly found.

The main gripes I hear about eBay is the fear of getting ripped off and the cost of using them. As for cost, it's cheaper than classified ads in my local fishwrapper and sure gets a hell of a lot more coverage. As for getting ripped off, I think most people selling bike parts are pretty honest, the main difference of opinion might be the condition of the parts. If you ask the right questions and look at the pictures and of course check prices from other sellers for a given item, you aren't likely to get a bum deal. Of course if you see someone selling a new 1800 for $1500, beware!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.