Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike runs great. The one big question I have is, why do my handlebars wobble between 30 and 40 mph? Is that something that is normal or something that I can correct? The Goldwing I have is 2001 with 51,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
The bike runs great. The one big question I have is, why do my handlebars wobble between 30 and 40 mph? Is that something that is normal or something that I can correct? The Goldwing I have is 2001 with 51,000 miles on it.

Normal? Hmmm....

Sorry to tell you that your Goldwing is not a rare highly sought after special edition. If normal means it happens to 95% of the bikes on the road then I guess it's normal. If you search for wobble, you will find enough reading for a week as well as twenty possible fixes. You will also find that it is perfectly normal according to Honda because it only happens when you have one hand on the bars and the manual clearly says to keep both on the bars at all times.:surprise:

In no particular order:
increase front tire pressure to 41psi
increase rear tire pressure to 38psi
new tires front and rear (two whole subforums just on choices)
new stem bearings
fork brace (three brands to choose from)
wheel bearings
swing arm bearings

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! It is as I have thought but, is it safe to ride? What are the. choices on the fork braces and do they work or just a waste of time putting them on?

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
In most cases that wobble does not exist when the tires are new. As the tires wear down the wobble usually starts to happen.

However you can also have a wobble from loose steering stem bearings (steering nut not correctly torqued).

Fork braces primarily improve handling at slow speed moving around. Prevents the forks from flexing while turning.

You are safe riding with the wobble (keep both hands on the handlebars).

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Just keep both hands on the handlebars.

It only happens in a slight deceleration mode like coast when a rider takes a hand off the grips, there is slight weight shift to front, only one hand on, and that weight shift slightly compresses forks, making for more sensitive steering.

·
Registered
219 Posts
While you are checking around the net about 'fork wobble' you will find out that almost ALL brands have that happen at one time or another. Even HD has that problem, believe it or not!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It sounds to me like I have to have the bearings replaced and the bolt torqued to the correct tightness

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other thing, when I take both hands off, the bike will lean to the left and steer that way. If I want to go straight, I have to lean to the right side of the bike.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
my 2002 has the Traxxion Suspension package.
so far, in 14,000 miles, it has never once wobbled with hands completely off.
and it has the 'SuperBrace' brand fitted...

I have added the SuperBrace to every Goldwing I have owned, and the difference in slow speed handling is immediately apparent. and '84, '94, '98 and it came on my '02.

I have ridden it for miles without holding the handlebars....
just as an experiment though, don't do it as a regular practice.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
How old are the tires and how do they look? I would probably go there before the stem bearings but that's just me. I like the Superbrace brand but there are supporters of other brands.

Just to fill in the blanks for my experiences.

Got the wobble on my GL1500 shortly after I bought it. New tires fixed it (Michelin Pilots). Some time later replaced stem bearings and fork seals/bushings. Added a Superbrace and liked the results. After Pilots wore out I went Double Darkside (Austone and BattleAx). Wobble free.

I bought my GL1800 used with 4000 miles and I noticed it had a bit of wobble already. Dealer had set up with front tire pressure on low end and original owner never did anything. In fact the TPMS light would come on until the tires warmed up. The front already was showing some cupping. :lash:

My first upgrade list included a Superbrace. Of course I upped the pressures (41psi on front) and didn't notice the wobble again. But I couldn't stand the OEM rear tire and at 7000 changed to Bridgestone Driveguard runflat at 31psi. I also installed Helibars which help with comfort but also stiffen the forks.

Closing in on 10k on the front. Cupped and singing but no wobble. Bridgestone BattleAx and Centramatic balancers in the garage ready to go, probably this month.

I also notice a drifting sometimes. Most of the time I don't notice. Sorta like countersteering. I don't think about it, just natural.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Had a 2008 1800 (have sold) and enjoyed the ride. Did some 40,000 Kms on it the first year I owned it. Before I bought it researched the 1800 to find out the issues. Tire longevity and suspension came to the top of the list. Suspension on the 1800s is great when new but wears out quickly. A suspension upgrade/renewal will make a significant difference in ride quality and bike performance. A suspension upgrade will also benefit tire wear, only aspect of the bike keeping the tires firmly planted on the road. Worn suspension will allow the tires to "hop" and become cupped.

Changing the steering stem bearings is a good idea. Honda uses a bicycle type bearing from the factory - attachment called bearing - instead of a tapered bearing such as All Balls. See attachments.

Check out the fork braces as well, but this should be done after the suspension has been upgraded/renewed. A fork brace is not a substitute for a worn suspension.

A set of Progressive monotube cartridge kit, and a rear shock upgrade will make a hug difference, the Traxion suspension "Full Monty" is the Cadillac, but more expensive. I did the Traxion suspension on my 1800 when I had it - raised the bike about an inch so no more scraping pegs.

Honda fork suspension has one side doing all the work and this affects how the front forks work.

It's quite amazing how much a new suspension will benefit your ride.

Just a few thoughts. Good Luck. Cheers

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts