Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI folks!

Well, after lurking here for a good while now, and seeing what a great community the GW Lads and Lasses are... I finally went and bought a Goldwing. I was on a budget, but found a great deal on a 1200 SEI - a bike I just LOVE the style of - even a preference over the 1500.

Now, I pick the bike up in about a week... and already I am very nervous about something going wrong with the electrics! (how jitty am I!)

I have found a couple of good sites with SEi/Ltd info - all looks pretty scary for someone not really into electronics.. (http://www.intouchmail.net/~fmattox/limited/manual.html http://www.goldwinginfo.dds.nl/pages/en/delen12.html )

Wonder if there are folk out there who have GOOD things to say about this model! or links to good SEi info.. I hope to be running it for a good few years yet!

Cheers! talk soon and - see you 'out there!'

J
:)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey johnnyx :waving: Welcome to the best goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:I dont know anything about the :12red: but anyone that has one just loves them. :jumper: I onlyride the Honda 50 and i have the use of my neighbours :18red: when it's free. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Cheers Redwing... err.. thats some neighbour you have there!!!

Hope to post some pix of the bike next week on another thread in this forum - can't wait!! In the mean time its off to Hien Gerik (spelling?) in Edinburgh for some kit .. now.. open face helmet or full face.........oh the problems....:)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

johnnyx wrote:
Cheers Redwing... err.. thats some neighbour you have there!!!

In the mean time its off to Hien Gerik (spelling?) in Edinburgh for some kit .. now.. open face helmet or full face.........oh the problems....:)
Hey johnnyx :waving: Helmets are a pers choice. :clapper: I wear the Nolan Open Face with visorand i find it a great. :weightlifter:Good luck with the shopping. :jumper:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

J. I have the LTD. Not a moments trouble, with electronics, but have had issues with the engine. I've bought a lot of spare parts off Ebay. Sensors, ecu's , etc. I think it was run awful hard in the past. I sure can't complain about the injection. Just put another engine in, so, now it runs even better. TIP. Watch out how you jump-start. Never jump off a running rig. Your onboard alt regulator wont like that. Then, do a search for "stator"(on this board) Readup on wiring improvements. Good luck with that SEi.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I perfer an open face helmet, but to each his own, I have really good sidevision, and a closed face helmet restrics my sight, But it really depends on you, Go to your local dealer and try some on See which one bothers you the least,

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

After you figure out which helmet bothers you the least, spend a few hours reading motorcycle accident reports on the internet. Then figure out which helmet will keep your face from skidding down the freeway at 70MPH.

Ok, ok...Please don't start yelling at me, you have your opinion, I have mine..:)

Cheerfuly yours,

Corey

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the reply's folks...

Oregonwinger - thats just the sort of 'tip' which I am sure will be very handy in the future!

Hmmm the helmet thing is a bit emotive... I'm with Gearhead76 at the moment regarding side vision... Mojotech is a bit more graphic than I care to think about!!

J

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

johnnyx

On helmets I would suggest you buy used to decide. I did am I am quite glad of it. I have a set of matching fullfaces AND a set of matching openfaces, all for under $100.00.

I carefully researched all the pros and cons of used, even called and talked to a military aviation helment rebuilder. The felting & padding is readily replaced and does not affect the safety inegrity if the inner and outer shells and the suspension are intact.

As to which I prefer, two up with the intercom the fullface wins hands down. Riding solo I use the open face only when working. (I talk to people as part of my job, the open face facilitates this as I can start talking from my bike.) Side vision on the fullface is a valid issue, but you quickly learn the little side sweeps of your head to compensate.

Personally I had to overcome severe claustophobia to adapt to the fullface, but I believe it to have been worth the effort. I do know that had I not bought the used helmets, I never would have bought fullface. Far too pricey to buy before you are sure you can adapt to them.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

..may sound like a daft question.. but a 1986 Sei will take unleaded fuel won't it??!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey johnnyx :waving:Yes sir nice green unleaded fuel. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Runs on 87 just fine, long as you don't lug it

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

..ahhh - that's perfect... cheers.

I got confirmation, I pick the bike up on Monday - will post a pic later next week! .. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Good luck johnnyx with the new toy. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well... I did pick up my Se-i on Monday... unfortunately there are problems. sigh..

First the exhaust is shot - I had to drive 420 miles home on the bike and by the time I got back the bike was sounding like a tractor pulling a sack of spanners (the guy I bought it from sure knew when to sell!)

The engine vibes quite heavily on deceleration

The engine doesn't pick up very well from low revs - the bike 'shudders'

And last (but I am sure not the end) .. when I turn the bike off - then re-start (say after getting fuel) I get clouds of white 'gassy smoke' out of the exhaust pipes.. not water vapor.. all the levels are fine - I think its unburnt fuel..

Really sorry to post something which sounds like a rant of this forum! ... I need to 'calm down'.. and get myself over to the Technical forum - start attacking these problems.

I am sure going to know my bike well by the time its all fixed up!

In the mean time.. if anyone knows where the heck I can get an exhaust system for a 1200 sei in the UK - I would LOVE to hear from you!!!!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

You could use Interstate or Aspencade, then add extensions. Cheaper way. I'll get back to you on the other problems. :)

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

cheers for that Oregonwinger, I'll start doing some 'fishing' and keep an eye on ebay...

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey johnnyx :waving:Dont let these few probs get you down. :clapper:This is all part of the game. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

For myself I prefer a full-face lid. Much better protection in a crash, much better protection from the elements, and more comfortable to me=peace-of-mind.

There'sa veryinteresting article in the June '05 Motorcyclist magazine regarding helmets. It pretty much blows the high-dollar helmet safetey ratings out of the water. Looks like a cheap (full-face) DOT-only lid is actually safer in99% of crashesthanthe Snell Foundation ones! They transmit less G-forces to the brain and can result in less brain damage.

My Snell-approved Shoei is due for replacement anyway!

Never buy a used helmet! Aside from the age issue (deterioration of the protective foam), it's almost impossible to tell if the helmet has suffered an impact or crash.

We all hope that our helmets last a long time, but if they take a hit they instantly turn into a throw-away item.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.