Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 GL 18. New TPMS sensor in rear. Flat end in direction of rotation, not broken. Using VT-15, the front sensor has the light flashing within a few seconds. Moving to the rear, after almost one minute the light will begin to flash at a slower rate, then stays on solid. Ride the bike about 12 miles and the TPMS light comes on and stays on. Wondering if the battery in the new sensor is low or even the battery in the new VT 15. Any light that could be shed is appreciated.
Thank You.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Where did you get the sensor?

I have read that if you buy a new OEM sensor they are not activated from the manufacturer. They are basically in sleep mode to save the batterie during storage. My Honda Manual for my 2014 says the same thing. It says that the dealer has to activate it. Not sure what that means though.

·
Administrator
58,741 Posts
2012 GL 18. New TPMS sensor in rear. Flat end in direction of rotation, not broken. Using VT-15, the front sensor has the light flashing within a few seconds. Moving to the rear, after almost one minute the light will begin to flash at a slower rate, then stays on solid. Ride the bike about 12 miles and the TPMS light comes on and stays on. Wondering if the battery in the new sensor is low or even the battery in the new VT 15. Any light that could be shed is appreciated.
Thank You.

1st, Welcome to the forum.

2nd, Please fill out your profile so we know what, who, where.

3rd, can you provide a link to the sensors you speak of?
I have no clue as to what a VT something or other is or who makes it. google shows it as a bathroom faucet, another website says it is a finance plan, yet another wants to sell me some gobbledygook gook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sensor is a Genuine Honda part, brand new from dealer. The TPMS trigger device is ATEQ VT-15.

·
Administrator
25,347 Posts
IIRC you have to inflate the tire to 55 psi to get the sensor to register.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Did u pull the seat and do the jumper on the plug?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
55 PSI (also tried 60). Red two pin connector, left rear under seat, pins connected with "jumper". TPMS light will start flashing at 1hz about 25 seconds after button on VT 15 is pushed (when pointed at front tire). Immediately move the VT 15 to the rear tire. The light continues to flash at same speed for a minute or so,then goes solid followed by a slow flash ( three flashes) the goes solid again. I just dismounted tire again to recheck new sensor, it still looks brand new. I hate to open it to check battery voltage.
Thank You for your replies.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just went through this very same scenario. Tried three times by the book and gave up. Ran wires into the trunk under the carpet for future shorting purposes. Taking that seat off is a PITA. Purchased the VT tool and had the same results. I ended up going to a local dealer only to have them have problems getting the sensors to register. Dealer called Honda and got a procedure that finally worked. It took 4 total trips to get this done. If your bike is under warranty then Honda covers the repair 100%. Did you purchase the extended warranty? The sensor just can't be broken from tire replacement like mine was.

·
Administrator
25,347 Posts
I just went through this very same scenario. Tried three times by the book and gave up. Ran wires into the trunk under the carpet for future shorting purposes. Taking that seat off is a PITA. Purchased the VT tool and had the same results. I ended up going to a local dealer only to have them have problems getting the sensors to register. Dealer called Honda and got a procedure that finally worked. It took 4 total trips to get this done. If your bike is under warranty then Honda covers the repair 100%. Did you purchase the extended warranty? The sensor just can't be broken from tire replacement like mine was.
I went through that a lot with the sensors on Honda cars. Some worked right away, others took a few tries to get them to register. Lots of them got broken from tire changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.