Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been kicking around an idea about popping out another body & converting to a trailer for the Trikes:july4thflag:

The center will be flat with the hatch going from the bottom of the trunk lid area to the front curve in the body.
The hatch will open up from the rear with a lock on it & rams for support & rubber seal around the opening.
The front will be filled in following the lines of the body.
The wheels will be 15" using a trailer axle & custom built frame.
The trunk area will be from the inner hump to hump & front to rear ( unknown SF)

Ride height will be the same as most Trikes.

Would like any idea's PRO or CON.
Think there may be a market for it as a kit or finished unpainted?
Just the body for the DIY group?
EST cost at around $2,250.00 with trailer & wheels.

Let me hear for all of you about this.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Skip I think it would be a good value at the price you mention . Its a bit of work for you to build another mod to your mold . In this economy I cant say how many have the extra $ to lay out . Its surely a better looking package then the HF trailer with a cargo box on top . I wonder how would it work behind a 2 wheeler ? would it be to much ?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Looks like a good idea.

It does seem a bit big for what appears tobe alack in thesquare footstorage area.

With a trailer the more storage the better.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

mm i think that the weigh of the body, wheels and frame will be more than what you could carry on it, plus the weigh of the trike kit on the bike, i dont think it would be a good idea, as the mpg will lower a lot and also the engines were not mean to handle that much.

i would encourage you to build small trailer bodies to fit on the harborfreigh frames out there

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

It's certiainly a good idea but as said before weight would be the biggest consideration. Storage space i'm not so sure. These would most likely be brought by those who like the different look and therefore not be that fussed by storage.

It's a common add on to beetles and citroen 2cv's and even morris minors in the uk. Having the trailer match the rear of the vehicle is a common custom option over here. The basic idea you have floated is the same.

The above cars do not have large engines the VW has an 1800 cc engine at the most,and so the modified trailers are usually the rear of the main car cut and lightened to suit.

I take it this is a business venture and if so you will be making to order so it pays to use the most common mold for trike bodies.

Try a google search on custom trailer's in particular the above types and take a look at what others are doing. I must say I would not buy a bike trailer as I currently see tham but if I did go down the trike route I would be looking for a matching trike body trailer to set off the trike look. One of the biggest problems with trikes in generalis the storage bins on the top and sides shrink accordingly.

Good luck in this very slim market but be sure you are likely to be the only one out there!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

all you can do is make it i dont think weight would be any issue when i see pictures of 1500's pulling other motorcycles on a trailer heck i used my 1100 to pull around my riding lawn mower this summer so i could mow my inlaws lawns

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

Since you are asking for opinions:
1. Not enough storage space in a trike body, IMHO.
2. Would be a "wide" item trailing behind a bike or trike and would mean remembering to make wide turns and not to close to curbs or gas station islands.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

So far so good, thank you for the addition info.
Weight is not much of an issue as you can pickup & move a 600lb trailer.
It the way you load it & the bearing are kept greased.

Yes on a 2 wheel it would be a wide trailer that you need to remember is back there.
It was mention for a Trike, which it will track behind same as your 2 back wheels.

As for storage, I would est. it's about 3' x 3' x 16" - hump in the center for the axle (12 sq ft).
Plus the 4 little crumby hole in front & back of wheel wells.
And of course a tray in the front for the cooler, a tube by the hitch to hold the table & umbrella.

Here's a quick drawing of the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

280 looker & no more idea's!:sleepy:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well lead the way and build it i just spent 180bucks on a hf trailer im good