Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I decided to go with another treatment of seafoam . This morning after fueling, I poured some seafoam and with a shaky hand spilled some on teh gas cap.

I no longer have the pressure built up in the tank like before. I guess its venting as it should.

On a nother note my number 4 carb would always leak fuel into the cyl forcing me to shut the petcock off anytime I parked for periods longer than an hour. If not, the cyl would be locked and not turn when the starter was depressed. I forgot to turn it off yesterday and today and have had no problem. Im not sure yet if the problem is solved and if so, Was it related to seafoam.

?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
I wonder if Seafoam could cure swine flu?:baffled:
I don't know. Let's pour some on PinkPork and find out!!:D:D:D:shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I wish I had read this several years ago, it took mega bucks to make mine leave, Sea Foam would have been the better way for me, I would be riding on a 2009 1800 instead of a 1996 1500. It all turned out for the better, I can ride when I please now and return when the Government check says I must.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Wishiewashie wrote:
I wish I had read this several years ago, it took mega bucks to make mine leave, Sea Foam would have been the better way for me, I would be riding on a 2009 1800 instead of a 1996 1500. It all turned out for the better, I can ride when I please now and return when the Government check says I must.
Put the check on direct deposit, get an atm card and keep riding. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

sle104 wrote:
SEAFOAM WORKS FOR EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!
I pored some on my exwife and she left.
:dude::D:clapper::cheeky1:

LET"S RIDE:action:

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

I guess I have noticed my tank has pressure when I twist the cap off, I'll have to seafoam it too.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

No one to feed Maggie (dog) when I am away for longer than two days! The EX is very busy spending what was my new Gold Wing money to help take care of Maggie for me.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

On a more serious note.....since I have a 7 and 9 yo, it's still cheaper to keep her for now:cooldevil:

Is there not supposed to be pressure build up in the fuel tank? I have noticed that after riding for a while and need fuel, there is some pressure when I take the cap off.

I may do the seafoam clean, but don't want to screw something up.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

My first Gold Wing was a 1998 1500, I purchased it new, there was always tank pressure after a long ride. I have had several used 1500's since then and each has has some tank pressure after a long ride, this might not be common but it has been the same with each I have owned. Please do not rely on my experience, I always end up with someone's preexisting problems and they swear "it must have just happened".

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

My 1100 builds up pressure in the tank as it goes down also. It also starts to run rough with less than 1/4 tank as you get on the throttle with it. Fill it up and alls back to normal.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

My wife saw a can of seafoam sitting on my workbench and she asked me what it was for, I told her I use it to keep the carbs clean in my engine, then she asked where I was hiding the boat?
:dude::dude::D:D

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ditto. you should have run fpor the can yelling, DONT TOUCH THAT!!
its secret stuff. Dont ask any questions.Hug it while walking away shaking your head no.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
Ditto. you should have run fpor the can yelling, DONT TOUCH THAT!!
its secret stuff. Dont ask any questions.Hug it while walking away shaking your head no.
Mad scientist stuff for sure!!!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

My question is, is it a pressure build up or is it a suction when you take the gas cap off??????

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
My question is, is it a pressure build up or is it a suction when you take the gas cap off??????
Mine is pressure for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Its not pressure.

It’s a vacuum.

As the fuel gets pumped out of the tank a vacuum starts to form. The pressure on the inside of the tank starts becoming less and less as fuel leaves.

Your fuel cap has a little valve in it so that it keeps the tank at the same pressure as the outside air. Imagine how difficult it would be if the fuel pump had to fight a large vacuum with near an empty tank? Imagine the issues you would have with a pressurized tank??? It would blow the fuel through the pump and into the carbs or FI system.

I used to have a sputtering problem near ½ tank and below before I fixed my gas cap. I simply took it off, tapped it with a hammer for a bit. Put in a bunch of WD40 and let it set for awhile (15 – 20 min) and then started tapping it again. I then smacked it a few more times a bit harder on the concrete floor in the downward position (oriented as if it were on the tank). Problem solved. Not only does it not sputter anymore at ½ tank… The bike overall runs better at about 7/8 of a tank and below.

Just think of all those Goldwings out there with original fuel pumps and their degrading diaphragms… all the extra work they have to do making them fail earlier trying to fight that vacuum. Just because people just don’t want to bother with the sound when they remove the gas cap. It’s a simple fix.

Vacuum… not pressure.

Tim.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.