Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to say "Howdy from Texas" and dang glad to find this board! I'm a long time rider (since 7 years old) with a few yearshere and therewithout a bike. I've never owned a wing.My wife is a newbee with no experience, but willing to give it a go, as I told her tales of riding to new places and meeting good, fun people. I sold a 1985 Magna 2 years ago that I had restored, but was too small to carry us both- (and it was Christmas time with a teenager...). College is right around the corner, so buying even an older wing was a no go. I thought all hope was lost, and just worried that by the time College was paid for, I would be too old or physically unable to ride.A long time friend moved back to Houston from Florida (they didn't lose their house in the hurricane, but there is no work for income). He was the second owner of a 1987 Aspencade, and asked me to store it inour garage, as it had been in shelter it's whole life, (except the hurricane, it was abandoned outside). I of course said yes.Once he got it here, he explained his wife had had 3 neck surgeries, and could no longer ride. He offered it to me on notes at a bargain basement price.

I have only ridden it around the block once, but immediately started cleaning it back up. He said it was outside for the hurricane, and he was embarrased to even bring it to me in this condition. It's cleaning up well, and I'm getting insurance, tags and tires for it. I hope to see you all on the road soon- Cheers and a Magarita clink to you all. ;)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the FORUM.

I am new to this forum myself and let me tell you these are a great bunch of people. It is a shame about the Hurricane in Florida. I had a Company From one of arelocal Fire Departments go. I was unable to go and help but my prayers were with them. I am really sorry about your friend having to uproot, I know that God will bless him in his own way. As for you, you did not state if you were going to by the bike or not. Let us know and show us some pictures too. Well Welcome I am sure the rest of the gang with chime in soon!:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

HI classic jackeroo welcome to the forum, get the wife out there polishing (bonding) with the bike and then do some miles on it. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Classic Jackaroo, sorry to hear of your friends misfortune, but at the same time, it is good to welcome another new owner of the finest bikes in the world.:waving:

You will find a wealth of useful information here, especially within the technical forum and aside from that there is the great sense of humour on the fun and miscellaneous section.

My other half (known here as Helen the Viking) had only been on the back of a bike once as a young lass, and had the c**p scared out of her by a recless rider. Now with the Wing she is almost as keen to go out on a ride as me.

I wish you and the wife many happy years riding and look forward to your contributions on this, the finest Wing site in the world.:D

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Howdy Classic Jackaroo,
Welcome to the best and only web goldwing talk show on the www. You have several of us forum membersthat live with 30 miles of you.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hello from Ireland:waving: and welcome to the friendliest and most informed goldwing site on the net ,,I hope you and your wife have a ball on the wing ,,,Just remember to take it nice and easy until you are feeling safe on the wing ,,Any problems or questions just post it here or the technical forum and it will be answered in the blink of an eye ,,,Safe riding ...Ciaran

Ps ,,our oldest and grumpiest official welcomer will be along to welcome you officially soon :dude::dude::dude:He is called REDWING,,but we all love him here ,,Because of his age we treat him with respect :jumper::jumper:

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Because of his age we treat him with respect :jumper::jumper:
Just remember... respect has to be earned!!! And YES, Redwing has earned it.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:

Ps ,,our oldest and grumpiest official welcomer will be along to welcome you officially soon :dude::dude::dude:He is called REDWING,,but we all love him here ,,Because of his age we treat him with respect :jumper::jumper:
Hang on, as the only official welcomer on this site, doesn't that also make him the YOUNGESTand HAPPIEST welcomer too:baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

:waving: Welcome aboard Jacaroo This is indeed a great place to find out things you don't know about your new bike , AND a place just to read around on a rainey day.............. And if there's no rain just put a sprinkler next to your window it works for me :cheeky1: ya the huricane was indeed a kick in the ass we had some friends ( Mother and son ) come north and stay with us for a couple of months due to the fallout and the Great State Of Texas from what I understand took VERY good care of her eldest son Best of luck in the future....Rod :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Another big welcome to our newest Texan. Glad you're getting the old girl cleaned up. You've found the best Goldwing site going, these guys can and will advise and mentor you through any type of problem. Wishing you all the best with your riding partner, just take it slow and easy at first, building her confidence gradually... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best Goldwing site ever Jackaroo!

I lift a glass of fine Kentucky stump water in honorand applausefor your friend who found a good home for his (now your) bike. May it serve you well and give you many miles of enjoyment.

I'll be taking out my new lady (the one without wheels) on my wing for the first time tomorrow myself. She's a confirmed Harley gal, but she digs the heated seats in my Mercedes, so I'm sure she will appreciate the difference in ride of the wing... may have to look into the 06 wing for heated seats if I spoil her too much though.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Don't spoil that lady too much Soulville USA, she will have you going down to the local showroom before you can say "New Wing":cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
... may have to look into the 06 wing for heated seats if I spoil her too much though.

You dont have to buy a new wing to get a heated seat ,,I have a Corbin heated seat on my 1800 and man you could cook a leg of chicken in your back pocket with the heat out of it ,,Best money I ever spent on a WING...cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board guys. Finding this place is a good start to the new year! :waving:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Congradulations on the new family addition and welcome to the site. :waving:May the wind be always at your back and may the road ahead be a safe one.get out there and enjoy yourself and as Ciaran said take things easy until you get used to the new baby. Safemotoring !! :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Welcome, as a fellow 87 Aspencade rider. This is a great site, lots of useful and not useful info, and everyone has an opnion on anything.

Whilst the 1200 certainly isn't as nice as the 1500 or 1800 it is still a great bike and rides well solo or 2 up loaded with luggage.

I had thought that I would love to get a newer wing but am content with what I've got, the bank manager has assured me that I really don't need a more expensive bike.

My 1200 is reliable, easy to start, handles well for a bike og the age and size and comfortable. in short a great all round package. I have thought also of tradong it for another sports bike, (BMW K1) but have reached the conclusion that whilst I miss a go fast bike I would miss the wing more.

Andrew

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Classic Jackaroo wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to say "Howdy from Texas" and dang glad to find this board! I'm a long time rider (since 7 years old) with a few yearshere and therewithout a bike. I've never owned a wing.My wife is a newbee with no experience, but willing to give it a go.
Hey Classic Jackaroo :waving:Welcome to the Greatest Goldwing Forum on the net.

Hey i have a very good friend in Houston, Texas,called Sam, he owns www.wingtoys.com :clapper: I order any bits that my neighbour requires for his :18red: Hey the very best of Good Irish Luck with your new wing, and i hope your wife enjoys it. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome! I was a member of the Magna BB, and they weren't nearly as friendly as you all have already been- and posts from across the big pond! Excellent.

:clapper:

I apprecite the well wishes and thoughts for my hurricane friends, and I will be sure to pass them along. It's hard really to understand circumstances when they don't directly affect you.....

After some reading here I think it best to check the newest family member over for "issues" before I take the wife out on her maiden voyage. Nothing would make a frown faster than a problem long from home on her first run.... LOL

I'll post a picture tomorrow (between playoff games) so you all can have a looksee. I do have some initial questions, but being a good new member I'm going to try to find it first....:gunhead: I look forward to chatting and meeting you!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome Classic Jackeroo and also welcome Flashover to a great Forum. Good people, willing to share info that can be hard to get. :waving: :waving: :waving: Also you will find great humor and a little bull thrown in. Keep it between the ditches!!:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Thats a good looking wing ,,I love the colour ,,Well done and I hope you have many happy and safe hours riding it ,,Cheers Ciaran

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.