Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to Gold Wings. I have ridden many different bikes over the years, but this is my first Gold Wing. 1988 GL1500

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to one of the nicer corners of the internet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lesson learned

I recently purchased an 88 GL1500 from owner number 2. The bike is in exceptional shape for 31 years old, and has really been well cared for. I learned a very valuable thing today that I thought was worth passing on. Since we bought the wing, we have ridden it 6 or 7 times for a total of about 500 miles. Day before yesterday I went to the store on the bike and it was running very rough at idle. I only rode it about 5 miles, so it really never got warmed up, but thought since the temps were in the low 70’s, it might have been that it need more choke than I was giving it. Fast forward to today, same thing, was going to the store, but the bike would not crank. I could hear the relays and solenoid picking, but the engine wouldn’t turn over. I checked the battery and it was a little on the low side, so I charged it. After full charge, the solenoid gave out(thank the good lord). After reading many threads, I tried to roll it off in 4th gear, to see if it would turn. Nope, no good. I ended up tracing the issue to hydro-lock. Cylinder #4 was full of gas. I normally store on the side stand so this makes sense. I have removed the vacuum fuel cut off and installed a ball valve. I jumped the solenoid and it does run again, but acts like it has at least 1 fouled plug. Having said all that is there much chance that it could have damaged the rings on that cylinder? The bike has only 52k miles that are well documented, and has been well cared for.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I recently purchased an 88 GL1500 from owner number 2. The bike is in exceptional shape for 31 years old, and has really been well cared for. I learned a very valuable thing today that I thought was worth passing on. Since we bought the wing, we have ridden it 6 or 7 times for a total of about 500 miles. Day before yesterday I went to the store on the bike and it was running very rough at idle. I only rode it about 5 miles, so it really never got warmed up, but thought since the temps were in the low 70’s, it might have been that it need more choke than I was giving it. Fast forward to today, same thing, was going to the store, but the bike would not crank. I could hear the relays and solenoid picking, but the engine wouldn’t turn over. I checked the battery and it was a little on the low side, so I charged it. After full charge, the solenoid gave out(thank the good lord). After reading many threads, I tried to roll it off in 4th gear, to see if it would turn. Nope, no good. I ended up tracing the issue to hydro-lock. Cylinder #4 was full of gas. I normally store on the side stand so this makes sense. I have removed the vacuum fuel cut off and installed a ball valve. I jumped the solenoid and it does run again, but acts like it has at least 1 fouled plug. Having said all that is there much chance that it could have damaged the rings on that cylinder? The bike has only 52k miles that are well documented, and has been well cared for.

Storing the bike on the side stand would not cause the cylinder to fill with gas.

Sounds like you had a float/valve issue in the carburetor.

I don't think you damaged the piston rings.

The solenoid gave out......??? Explain.

31 year old bike, 52k miles.....That bike has been sitting around a lot, you may have some clogged jets in the carbs.

Run some strong concentration of Sea Foam through a few tanks of gas.

Also K100 works very good for cleaning carbs......! https://www.google.com/search?q=k100&oq=K100&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.9311j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Premium Member
62,783 Posts
Hallo Jasonb

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I meant was, the starter solenoid squealed and gave up the ghost. I say this was lucky, since it does not appear to have damaged the the ring gears. The bike normally runs beautifully, with no issues. The vacuum shut off has to be one of the culprits here since fuel was allowed to flow. I will definitely try adding sea foam to the fuel for the next several tanks. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts