Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have decided that it is time to stop fixing and ride something that does not need a tweak here or there before every ride. What do the "experienced" out there think is a good model/yr of goldwing to look at that would replace and better a 1979. If any are with lower seat, that is great. Those available in Canada are what I would at but I guess I am really trying to find out if any particular models or years are more prone to specific problems. It will have to be used for sure! What about mileage issues? Is there a figure at which one should stop wishing?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hello Gilles !
I change this year from GL1200 1984 Asp. to a GL1500 SE model 95. I investigated the differences between 1500 models from 88 to 95 and found that the 95 model had some advances: e.x lower seat height, bearings in the engine was better than earlier models, suspensions was better too !Not to forget the reverse gear that really is function well! When parking the GL1200 I always had to look at the ground in front of me before taking a decision. Offen my wife speak to me saying “why are we parking here” ? All our friends are parking on the other side of the road! That’s life when trying to move 360 kg + two passengers with shoe number “9½” on soft ground! Mileage for the GL1500 is the same as for GL1200,- I can do around 18 kms each liter at a speed 90-110 km/hour. For me it’s a good choice having a GL1500 model 95, another point is the price for a Goldwing in Denmark: a Model 95 SE cost 42.000-45.000 $ USD (heigh state taxes), for newer models the price increase very fast to a height which not is “eatable” for me. Lately I have heard that a new GL1800 with a few extras cost around 100.000 $ USD.

Good luck with your search!
PS. Sorry my bad English its 35 years since I learn the language!
Jan Jensen
Denmark

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Gilles, if you prefer the look of the older type Wings, why not go for a good GL1100? The 1100 still looks like a traditional motorcycle and is much more reliable than the GL1000. I'd love the last of them, 1983 Aspencade with the cast alloy wheels and linked brakes, but you will need to look hard for a decent one as most of them over here are ageing badly.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the useful tips. I too always have to watch where I park..size 7.5 shoe! This is just the type of info I am looking for. Also dont worry about your english because I am not english either but french as my name implies! I have to say that the reverse thing is very interesting and appealing to me.

Gilles;)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Gilles,

If you have a look at Steve's Goldwing History Page you'll find some very interesting reading there, it might give you an idea as to which model to source, and Steve the history of the Goldwing isa great read.

Phil :D

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Yes its a good read Phil, goes into just about the right amount of detail without overdoing it. Entertaining I think is the word.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.