Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Goldwing Aspencade
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just got my first big bike last year, a 1993 GW Aspencade with 109,000 miles on it.
I have been riding off-road and motocross forever, but my 9y/o Autistic son has put a huge damper on that hobby. I do admit that I was looking at ways to put him on my CRF450r and hit the trails with him, but that seemed to be an extremely sketchy evolution. My boy and I are riding my daughter’s TTR90 around the neighborhood and he absolutely LOVES IT!

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

He is a bit impulsive and he cannot ride alone at all.
My wife found my wing and actually had to convince me to buy it, (That’s what I tell her), with plans to ride around with him in more areas. Since he is a climber and has zero fear, I put some car seat belts on the rear seat and he uses his bicycle helmet for our rides.
Helmet Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sports gear

Don‘t yell at me, we do not get over 25 or 30 mph and stay on our neighborhood streets. The rides last about 30 min and he stays put quite well. It is a much better option than trying to keep track of him as we are riding.
He loves when I pick him up at school and he is the “Cool Kid”.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,318 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
I for one, can truly appreciate the problems with Autistic children.

One suggestion though, I feel you should get a M/C jacket to protect those fragile arms, just on the off chance that you have to lay the bike down..... I have had that happen, when stopping on an Off Level surface and put my right foot down and it did not touch the ground, and my 1500 laid over on the grass.... no harm done, but a 2nd rider might possibly have suffered an abrasion on bare arms.

get one 2 sizes too large, so he can grown into it for a few years.

·
Registered
1993 Goldwing Aspencade
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum,
I for one, can truly appreciate the problems with Autistic children.

One suggestion though, I feel you should get a M/C jacket to protect those fragile arms, just on the off chance that you have to lay the bike down..... I have had that happen, when stopping on an Off Level surface and put my right foot down and it did not touch the ground, and my 1500 laid over on the grass.... no harm done, but a 2nd rider might possibly have suffered an abrasion on bare arms.

get one 2 sizes too large, so he can grown into it for a few years.
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. He does have one that he wears. I have tipped it over (conveniently on the grass) with him on it and the lower saddlebags keep him far from the ground.

·
Administrator
28,657 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. He does have one that he wears. I have tipped it over (conveniently on the grass) with him on it and the lower saddlebags keep him far from the ground.
I would suggest pants also, those legs are pretty tender with road rash on them.

·
Premium Member
78,025 Posts
Hallo Jamesduncan

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
213 Posts
Welcome to the forum and wishing you miles of smiles.😁 You are giving him memories that will last his entire life and I commend you for it.👍👍👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts