do on a centre stand please?

many thanks for your advice wingers!

regards

angel
lady wing rider :)

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello Angel and Welcome . I do not have experience on a 1200 . My 1100 had rusty mufflers . I replace the mufflers with a set of nearly new take off mufflers from a Harley classic or road glide . To do that I had to make up a set of " S " shaped adapter pipes between the header pipe and the new mufflers , as well as fabricate a rear set of muffler mounts .
The disc does bolt on the wheel . I believe you will need to remove the storage bags to get at the wheel/axle . I'd plan to do this while I had the exhaust apart .
Have you riden the bike yet ? Its possible the disc may clean up with just some riding and use of the brake . See if it polishes off with use then perhaps swap in some new pads after the disc is good an shiny .
Best of luck . I hope you have some 1200 experts to add more soon . Enjoy the forum and your new bike . visit often .

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goldwing gl1200 exhaust problem

hi mike

many thanks for your reply.

my dad was a motorcyclist and
taught me and my brother how to
ride and wrench. he went to the
happy hunting ground far too early
and i wanted to carry on the family
tradition of bikers.

i only bought the bike yesterday.
it hasn't not been started for two years.
in the uk you've to have your bike
safety tested and documentated.
this bike had unseen rust holes underneath
the mufflers. it needed a new battery (now
ordered). i've change the oil and filter.
i bought the bike 'as seen'. i was advised
the engine is bulletproof and fingers crossed
it will start. i can't ride until safety
tested and road taxed!

i only want to fit oem parts especially
mufflers, because of oem carb jetting.
i just down know the correct procedure
of replacing them. :-(
a big learning curve!

the rotor is uneven and should've
been replaced. the owner bought new
brake pads and installed them on
a faulty rotor. not good mechanicing
riders!

thanks again for all your advice!

looking forward to riding the wing!

angel

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
Hi Angel. Welcome to the forum.
The rear rotor on the 12 wears like it's pretty soft stuff. (from the price of one, you'd think it was pure gold) But that's not the case. Fact is, the things are too hard to be turned. Anyway, because of that, using new pads on the worn rotor is common practice. I doubt a new OEM rotor is available, but there are aftermarket units you can get. My advice it to live with it, as long as it's not warped.
For the exhaust, you can usually pick something up from e-bay.
1200s are not all the same, so you'd be safest to just make sure you get the same year.
Aftermarket pipes are available too.
I think you should hold off on all that until you get the machine running and know that the tank and carbs are going to be usable.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gl1200 new project

many thanks for your sound advice.
my thoughts entirely!

i've never ridden a wing before.
in the past i've ridden fjr1300,
i still have my first project a kawasaki
kz750 4 cyl 1981. my dads favourite
bike called eric. a complete restoration
except for the engine, only 6,600 miles!

is there a knack for putting the wing
on it's centre stand? :)
make sure the feet are level and push
down and heave backwards maybe?
sure is a heavy gal!

many thanks

angel

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
is there a knack for putting the wing
on it's centre stand? :)
make sure the feet are level and push
down and heave backwards maybe?
sure is a heavy gal!

many thanks

angel
Welcome to the forum Angel.

If you're a light weight like me "140 lbs soaking wet and a pocket full of rocks" it's next to impossible.
What I do is roll the rear tyre onto a 2X4, it then comes up like a 50cc scooter.:claps:

For the exhaust anything from a 1200 will fit, you can even mix and match header pipes and mufflers from any year.

The rear rotor if not warped and not worn under 6mm is probably still usable no matter how ugly it looks.

I see you're thinking about a K&N filter, in my opinion they're great for keeping birds and large insects out of your engine but not much else.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I replaced my exhaust system with a Motad stainless and have had no trouble with the carb jettings.
As it's been standing so long , before you fire it up flick the kill switch and turn it over for as long as your battery will let you, ( 10 seconds at a time for the starters sake ) to circulate the oil and fill the tappets, or you'll have a heck of a clatter for several minutes.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Angel there are quite a few members in the United Kingdom that might be more than willing to give you a hand or pointers...With that said I have gone through two 1100's and have hit the same "snags" as you have...Brakes, calipers, hoses and master cylinders...Who would have thought that a new set of stainless steel brake lines would have made so much difference???..

Timing belts..This subject comes up everytime any one mentions "Been Setting Up for "X" number of years"...If it doubt, change them out, might be the best money you'll ever spend...Much cheaper than a bent valve....

Carbs???...You will know real soon after you try to start it if they are good or need rebuilding.....

What I have noticed about these GoldWings, Yes the egines are almost "bullet proof", and they don't like setting up for long periods of time, but once you get the minor things done to them, then Ride it like ya stole it.....But do PM some of the members near you to see if they can give you a hand....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.