Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So i took my bike out a few times this past week, and there are a few problems im noticing, i think they might all be related (hopefully).

1. The bike is not accelarating properly, especially low in the gears it is sort of chugging until about 4k rpm. in 5th gear the bike pretty much maxed out at 60mph on a flat surface.

2. i could leave the bike idle all day in the garage, but i take it out for a ride, and i cannot come to a full stop and let it idle without revvving every so often. so ive been riding with the choke semi open.

3. im getting about 15mpg, compared to normally about 35mpg

any suggestions would be great thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,525 Posts
imported post

Have you tried running some sea foam through it? I think you may have some partially clogged jets and possibly some water in the gas.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Also change out the fuel filter and see what the old one looks like.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'll try the seafoam thing, i did have a can of sea foam in it over the winter, but I'll pick one up today and top it off with some fresh gas.

I know i have a fuel filter sitting around the garage somewhere i bought last year when i was thinking about changing it so ill try that also.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Seafoam has been proven to be pretty safe but I still would not excede the recommended doseage on the can.

That is a pretty dramatic performance loss. I presume she has sat for a couple of months for the winter??I would inspect your intake for obstructions and also your vaccum lines on the carbs for leaks.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

the seafoam didnt seem to help, ill take a look at the fuel filter tomorrow.

yes it has been sitting for months. as for inspecting the vacuum lines and the intake i might need someone to explain to me where/what exactly imlooking at.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Drain the carb bowls. You might be suprised what you find. Seafoam works well but it is not a cure all.

If you get too strong a mixture of Sea Foam the bike won't run or start. Sea Foam is mostly naptha gas so it has a different ignition point.

Sounds like you might have to go through the carbs/fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

i removed the fuel filter this morning. i guess im not real sure what it should look like or how it should work exactly. but there was gas in it that i could pour out of the end that was pointed towards the gas tank. however it would not pour out of the end that was pointed towards the fuel pump, if i blew into the filter it all came out rather easily however...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

It is not uncommon for the filter to block flow with just gravity. I would replace it either way seeing as you have it out. If you have not already you need to remove your intake Air filter and check that. Often times over a winter mice or other critters will build a nest in there and that can create all kinds of havoc.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yeup. On a 1000 you open the lid, lift out the tray for your tools and such, then you can see the top of the air filter intake. take off the wing nuts and lift out the cover. you may have to remove the side shelter screws to get the lid out??

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

looked at the air filter, it is fine.

when replacing the fuel filter, is there a major reason why i should pay $25 at the honda dealer vs. $2.50 for a generic one at Fleet Farm??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.