Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always a battle exactly where to place helmets here at home. I think I get a grand idea, but then my wife decides that it wasn't that grand, and I find myself looking for a different place.

Come to the rescue, Home Depot, and "Floating Shelves".

I went in, and picked up the largest available in-store. It was 48" wide by 8" deep. I figured the helmet's CG would be able to fall within 8" from the wall (hopefully). If it didn't work for helmets at least my toy collectible model cars would fit well.

Well. It worked. I now have three helmets, up and out of the way, above my office door. If you find yourself looking for a fun project for new year's weekend, that might help settle a minor domestic issue, I recommend this.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Nice job, very clean looking. Also, your pic reminded to replace the smoke detector batteries so kudos and a year supply of manna to you.

Steve

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is what we use.
I did not have the wife issue, she was the one who who purchased and put up the Helmet holder, giving the Helmets a place of honor along with a sign my Mother gave us.

Peter

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Both are Great Ideas!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Come to the rescue, Home Depot, and "Floating Shelves".
Rusty,

Where are the brackets that secure that shelf to the studs in the wall, on top of the shelf?

How big are they, e.g., how far up the wall do they extend? How many brackets are there? I assume you painted yours to match the wall color?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I have a few of those around the house - great space savers.

Here's a pic showing the fixing system

Attachments

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
All great ideas...I had a large buffet that Goodwill was coming to get, they were on their way when I noticed that the top was glass doors and 2 shelves...I immediately thought great place for helmets...so it now has a place of honor at the very end of my 24ft. workbench...room for 6 helmets....and minor storage....have a good un.....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i use Christmas reath door hangers on inside of closet doors.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rusty,

Where are the brackets that secure that shelf to the studs in the wall, on top of the shelf?

How big are they, e.g., how far up the wall do they extend? How many brackets are there? I assume you painted yours to match the wall color?

Thanks!
With the particular floating shelf I have you bolt a piece of wood to the wall with three long bolts in studs (or toggle bolts if no stud found) then slip the shelf on to the wood block and screw it in. That is why the shelf is kinda thick.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Kool...What's that old saying aboput neccessity. is the mother of invention...Nice looking rack, all of them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.