Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings,

I’m not a Goldwing owner (yet) and would like to ask a few simple questions. The answers may seem obvious, but I want to see them in print anyway. Here goes … I recently took a long tour on a Yamaha FJR 1300 and twice injured my left foot trying to hold up bike in a parking lot. No doubt it got away from me due to the heavy load of camping equipment and such, but that leads into the first question. 1. How much easier is it to hold up (keep in balance) the ‘Wing’ in a parking lot scenario as compared to ‘other’ bike designs? 2. Another problem I had was fighting the dirty air (turbulent) from some cars; all trucks, buses and campers not to mention side winds in the mountains and during storms. With respect to all the other bikes on the road it seemed I was the only one cussing the turbulents. 3. Another problem was low mileage from the tires on the FJR. I checked the inflation regularly and the most mileage I got on a set of Avons was just over 7,000 miles and that was being very careful with my driving style. I understand the choice of manufacturer and style of tire will help determine longevity, but there isn’t much on the market (via dealers) to choose from. Sure you can order something through the Internet, but then you have to find someone that is willing to accept the liability to mount and balance them for you. 4. Is the stock seat on the Wing any better than the standard log on the FJR (and a lot of other bikes)? I managed to stick it out, but did I have any choice? I would hope Honda would put a decent touring seat on the Wing. Do they ...or is it an option from Honda?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Paranoid and welcome to this excellent site.

The turbulant air issue should be much less on your wing ( thinking possitive here!!)

The fairings and screens on Wings, go a long way to protect from buffeting etc.

The seats as standard, are as comfortable as any supplied on touring bikes.

You might expect to get in excess of 10000 miles from a tire on a Wing, as you rightly point out, dependant on compound hardness and gentle riding.

The main thing about Goldwings is, the endless possibilities to personalise them to suit you. If you search this site, you will find folks who prefer tall screens, short screens, aftermarket seats, Honda seats, and all sorts of other things.

If you purchase a standard bike, you can expect to spend a few$$ getting it just the way it suits you.

Others will be along to add their comments, so I will make way for their valuable input. Hope you get it right and get a Wing, it is doubtful you will regret the move.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The Yamaha looks similar to the BMW my brother rides. The Goldwing is going to give a lot more wind and rain protection due to it's more extensive fairing, also going to have more room in the bags. However the bags don't easily detach on the Wing. The Yamaha is definitely more sportbike than the Wing. The Goldwing is a good bit heavier than the Yamaha, probably around 200lbs heavier. The curb weight is around 800lbs vs. the Yamaha being closer to 600lbs. That being said, I don't find the Wing difficult in slow handling. It looks like the main difference is the Wing is aimed more at touring and the Yamaha more toward sportbike performance.

I would think the Yamaha ought to compare more with the Honda ST1300 than a Wing. If the FJR is a Corvette, the Wing is a Mercedes sedan. The Wing wasn't designed for sports car performance, but it's just about unbeatable on long runs.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Hi Paranoid

I haven't posted here before ( that i can remember! LOL! ) but have been reading with interest the many threads of other owners. After reading your post thought i had offer a few words.

I myself swapped my FJR1300a (only around 18 months old at the time) for a 95 GL1500 Aspencade around 8 months ago. I wondered many times if i was doing the right thing to trade almost a new bike on a 10 year old bike but i must say since doing so i haven't looked back.

I found the size and weight a little daunting to begin with but as i ride it to work everyday i soon found it soon becomes as familar and comfortable to ride as any bike does ( i found the same thing going from a Suzuki SV650s to the FJR ).

You do learn to watch more carefully your choice of parking spots and also more cautious manoeuvring the bike around but that becomes second nature after a while.

Only minor downside i use twice the amount of petrol commuting to work each week as i did with the FJR, but hey the Big Old Girl ( no not the Misses ) has so many more positives and is a joy to ride especially on weekends!

One last point on safety, i found my riding style has slowed down quite a bit, no more rushing everywhere, just sitting back and enjoying the ride!

Hope this might be of some help and good luck on whatever you decide!

Was :)

PS

A friend of mine also bought a 99 GL1500 about 6 months before i did, this week he is picking up a brand new 05 GL1800! Lucky fellow!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome, Wlipton to this fabulous site. Redwing must still be having his tea and marmalade on toast, other wise he would have beaten me to the welcome:goofygrin:

Useful info for Paranoid, good to have the input of someone who has actually made the change that he asks about.

Perhaps you should have used the handle "Joey" since you come from Dunlop and Joey Dunlop was the famous racer and it is the name given to the little furry friends down your way. Do you get a problem with 'roos like the US guys have with deer..... perhaps you have a 'roo alert fitted:baffled::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Good to have you and Paranoid onboard.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet wlipton!:waving::waving:

Any relation to the maker of my favorite beverage? Just kidding. I'm surprised you mileage is so much lower with the Wing. The advertised mileage on the 2005 FJR is around 40 mpg which is abou the same most Wings get. What did you get on the Yamaha?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Gentlemen,

Nice reply guys. I’m learning as we go here. I was hoping one of you would say that the Wing has such a low center of gravity that it would take a discerned effort to tilt it off balance. I’ve seen quite a number of ‘older’ guys effortlessly handling their Goldwing in parking lots … thus the illusion (???) of such an easy bike to handle. All the other curiosities were addressed and for that I thank you. So far you all seem like gentlemen.

I might add that Wlipton’s comment that equated to riding with a more mature and relaxed mode struck a nerve. I’ve been sucked into more than one ‘race’ through choice canyons because of the ‘Sport Bike’ reputation of the FJR. I hope I’ve learned enough this year not to indulge in any more ‘riding beyond your skill level’ events. Guess I still haven’t grown up. It’s dangerous to ride around like you have a chip on your shoulder so I’m overdue for a more mature choice of bikes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Paranoid wrote:
Gentlemen,

Nice reply guys. I’m learning as we go here. I was hoping one of you would say that the Wing has such a low center of gravity that it would take a discerned effort to tilt it off balance. I’ve seen quite a number of ‘older’ guys effortlessly handling their Goldwing in parking lots … thus the illusion (???) of such an easy bike to handle. All the other curiosities were addressed and for that I thank you. So far you all seem like gentlemen.
It's an illusion cause by the fact that most of us Goldwingers are such fine specimens of masculinity.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Pete

Don't have a 'Roo Alert' fitted but looks like the previoius owner may have at some stage. Luckly have only come across dead roos on the side of the road going to and from work, although even hitting a dead one would probably launch you! LOL!

Exavid

Not sure exactly the milage on the FJR but a tank of gas would roughly get me back and forward to work for about 9-10 working days (about 40km a day) where i seem to be filling up the Goldwing about 5-6 working days ( still haven't had the fuel light come on with the Goldwing yet). And yes go up the family tree enough and there is a link to the TEA but not close enough to do many any good!

Paranoid

Was riding home from work last night with my mate who also has a GL1500 and they look fantastic all lit up in the dark, sort of a Xmas tree on wheels, its gotta be safer. And no more temptations to have a traffic light drag with the young turks and their hotted up rice burners.

Exavid (again)

"fine specimens of masculinity", think i might be heavier than the bike! LOL!

Thanks Guys!

Was :)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Paranoid wrote:
Gentlemen,

By the way, the Wing has such a low centre of gravity ............. maybe we are so old we just forgot :baffled::goofygrin:

The Wings are still pretty lively, quick enough to get you out of tight spots, when overtaking etc. but riding such a machine, seems to lull me into riding somewhat slower and just soaking up the ride, enjoying the scenery and having a pleasant time.

Took mine to work yesterday, ( can't always do that, as I am a builder) and I enjoyed it so much, it made me work with a bounce in my step. I am taking it again today, and will enjoy the weather , while it lasts!!!

Watch out by the way, we are not all gentlemen, there are one or two ladies on here, and you don't want to get an ear bashing!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi Paranoid go for it the wing is no slouch, fuel consumption really depends on riding style, the grin factor is immeasurable and like minded people appear out of the wood work.You will not be sorry I have been riding for over 30 years and winging for the last 23 years it opens a new window in your world . GO FOR IT :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving: Colin

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

SHREK snr wrote:
Hi Paranoid go for it the wing is no slouch, fuel consumption really dipends on riding style, the grin factor is imesearable and like minded people appear out of the wood work.You will not be sorry Ihave been riding for over 30 years and winging for the last 23 years it opens a new window in your world . GO FOR IT :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving: Colin
This from a man who rides back from France to England just to mend a boiler. if that isn't proof that Wings are the best, then I don't know what is!!:clapper::clapper:

Welcome back Colin, I trust you had a nice summer in France and were thinking of us, slaving away to earn a crust?:baffled:( Yeah right, 'course you were!!)

You wouldn't recognise my "not white" Wing now, I have made some changes since you saw it that day. When you get a moment you will have to pop over again, with the good lady and say hello to Helen and me.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi Pete ,back to reallity what have you done since we last met ,how was Blackpool?Look forward to seeing you soon,send me a e mail when you get a moment.:waving::waving::waving: Colin

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well …

Once again you all have given me the warm glow of acceptance to the world of Wing. OK … to be truthful and above board, you all know I have to get permission from the boss … Linda. It may take a while, but I’ll work on my attentive skills. Let’s see … there’s her birthday; Christmas is right around the corner and surely there are other opportunities in the near future that should provide me opportunities to woo her. I’m getting excited just thinking about the possibility of a better bike. Maybe I shouldn’t put too many more miles on the FJR. You have all been great in your response.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Paranoid

I took the boss to a Ulysses AGM here in Canberra back in March.

Some 8000 bikes attended a lot of Wings amongst them.

The boss was so swept up in the atmosphere talking to everyone and checking out the Wings in a weakened moment she agreed for me to get one.

That was on the Sunday, i owned one by Tuesday! LOL!

Was
:15red:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

wlipton wrote:
Paranoid

I took the boss to a Ulysses AGM here in Canberra back in March.

Some 8000 bikes attended a lot of Wings amongst them.

The boss was so swept up in the atmosphere talking to everyone and checking out the Wings in a weakened moment she agreed for me to get one.

That was on the Sunday, i owned one by Tuesday! LOL!

Was
:15red:
You sly dog, you put her under the "Ether" and bought the Bike before it wore off, nice going M8!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hey Paranoid, when I got my Wing my driving style completely changed too, I still like to get on the throttle on the highway but in town I drive like I'm in a Holiday Parade. Being on the biggest, brightest, and most beautiful bike on the road just makes you feel like that. Besides being comfortable for any distance and enjoying the music!

And all the people in their cages peering out of their windows with envy and admiration makes me want to drive like Ican bring back some responsibility and respect to bike riding, which so many of the speed racer morons have robbed from us. ( And hey, a long time ago I was onetoo.)

I'm now enjoying the ride and the scenery, and the heck with the destination!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

My wing is definately no sports bike but you can still throw it around enough to kid yourself, as long as you aren't being left behind by the sports bikes.

I've always ridden faster bikes and bought my wing on impulse on the net without even sitting on one. (it was very cheap) Figured if I didn't like it I could sell it and make a bit of cash.

My conclusion after having the wing for about a year and 5000 miles is that whilst I will probably get another sports bike I will always own a wing, nothing else comes close.

FJR1300 vs Goldwing No contest

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

FireBob wrote:
Hey Paranoid, when I got my Wing my driving style completely changed too, I still like to get on the throttle on the highway but in town I drive like I'm in a Holiday Parade. Being on the biggest, brightest, and most beautiful bike on the road just makes you feel like that. Besides being comfortable for any distance and enjoying the music!

And all the people in their cages peering out of their windows with envy and admiration makes me want to drive like Ican bring back some responsibility and respect to bike riding, which so many of the speed racer morons have robbed from us. ( And hey, a long time ago I was onetoo.)

I'm now enjoying the ride and the scenery, and the heck with the destination!
Dito that FireBob, my sentiments exactly:clapper::clapper:I love it.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Is anyone on here who does not like their wing?? Probably not because they have sold them to all of us.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.