Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new to the forum & new to the Goldwing so if my questions sound redundant please for give me. I just purchased a 2003 Goldwing with 9k it appears to be in wonderful condition. I checked everything over, change oil and took a quick road trip from Mn-Montana (about 1500 mi) the Goldwing performed flawless, I was very impressed, I did encounter one problem, The clock & trip meters, seemed to change on their own, in other words the clock would suddenly gain or loss time (hours) and the trip meters would reset themselves. the previous owner thought the battery was 2 years old but wasn't sure, but it seems to be fine, Any Ideas?? maybe I am hitting a button and doing it myself (I am not used to a MC with so many features) Thanks, and (although I really hate to ask this question) when I changed the oil I used Vavoline 10/40 (not MC specific) am I OK, Thanks again msn

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

although i am not familliar with your particular wing year and model my first suggestion would be to get an owners manual and read it, a wing that is 9 years old with only 9k on it would concern me, but if you already put 1500 on it with no problems i would say you have yourself a good one.
check tires for cracks, check the date codes on the tires, and lastly check all the other fluids and i would probably suggest at 9 years changing them all

the oil is pretty much a owners choice kinda thing in my opinion

i know someone will chime in soon but i would also check the suggested time interval for the belt change even though it only has 9 k on it

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

A 2003 with 9K is not even broken yet. I would not be concerned at all about it's mechanical condition. Goldwings have more electronics than the space shuttle, and it is common for them to cause problems. I don't care for electronics, and never will. If it were my bike I would just ignore it, but I understand you just spent a lot of money for a nice bike, and want everything to work. You will need to take it to either a dealer (which I would avoid at all costs) or a Goldwing specific shop. The Goldwing is so popular nearly every town has one. The electronics are beyond the scope of a doityourselfer.

I would also check the tires, but mainly the tread. If the wear bars aren't showing, and the tires aren't badly cracked, I wouldn't worry about it. I have used new (as in never used) car tires over 20 years old with no problems.

I believe the 1800 has chain driven cams, but I am not certain.

10w40 oil is fine, depending on your temperature. Here in AZ I use only 20w50. Car oil is fine in the Goldwing engine, it is a large mildly tuned engine, much like a car engine. I would change the oil/filter at least every 3000 miles.

One more thing. I don't know if this is a problem with the 1800 or is mainly with the older models (I have a 1200), but you might want to check the final drive splines between the final drive and rear wheel, and both ends of the drive shaft, and lube them with moly paste. At 9000 miles, you won't have any damage yet, but if it goes too long without being lubricated, the splines will destroy themselves. Honda may have solved this problem on the newer models.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I think you asked about just the clock and tripmeter

Consider the battery...

Found THIS THREAD on the 1800 forum too

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
I think you asked about just the clock and tripmeter

Consider the battery...

Found THIS THREAD on the 1800 forum too
Thanks to all !!, great information, sandiegograss, I am going to check the battery, Thanks, msn

I am almost embarrassed to say this but when I first looked at the battery after I purchased the MC, everything looked normal, but after closer inspection I find that the neg-post was almost ready to fall off, I have never seen a connection so loose and still make contact, I am thinking this was my problem, (time will tell) Again, Thanks to all, msn

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

"I believe the 1800 has chain driven cams, but I am not certain."

really? i knmow nothing about the 1800:baffled: i hope they used double rollers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.