Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone. I'm from New Zealand and have wanted a Goldwing for the best part of 40 years. The time is now! I hace a choice right now to buy two very different models - a 1988 GL 1200 interstate or a 1996 1500 ASPENCADE. Obviously ther latter is more expensive. I want it for gentle touring in magnificent new Zealand with my wife.. Any plusses and minuses I should be aware of. Thanks for the the welcome. Comfort and easy maintanance are a priority.

Declan

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome eyemedia, I believe the 88 wing is also a 1500 that was the first year for the wing here in the states. If it is a 1500 the first years were loaded with all the extras at the time. A down side on the 88's and 89's is that their are part specifics for these two years only. The 90 to 00 will swap out to each other, being of the same model , Interstate, Aspencade and SE. Others will chime in shortly, read all the info you can get on the wings and ask lots of questions. Go onto the history of the goldwing here on the site and read awayLots of info there.

'

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida!!

I have an 85 1200I and love it. It gives me many miles of fun and does what ever I ask.

I would like to one day move up to a 1500 or even an 1800, but till that day, my ole 1200 will do just fine.

Enjoy your time here and know that what ever wing you get, it'll be fun!

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome Declan . The 1988 model started the 1500 series . If its got 4 cylinders its likely an 87 1200 titled in the year it sold . If its got 6 cylinders its a 1500 . Either will be a good bike . If the finances are there for you the newer one will be better if its had good proper care . These bikes with normal service will go over 250K miles . Sorry I dont know how that translates to Kilometers :(but its a good long ride:action: I wish you the best in your decision . Ride safe and visit with us often .

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Welcome eyemedia to the forum! My thoughts if you are looking for ease of maintenance would be the 96 1500. It is harder to find parts at times here in the US and most dealers of you have to take it there won't work on a 1200. Not saying the 1200 is a bad bike, I owned one and loved it, I just think the 1500 being newer would be the way to go and it's a 6 cylinder. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

They are both great bikes. I would buy whichever one I could afford. Probably go after the 96, but the other is still a good choice.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome from sunny Southern California, USA, go for the 96

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who replied. It was a very warm welcome.Thanks also for the advice. I really appreciate it!

I'll do a bit more research. I was a little confused by the bit i did which seemed to suggest that the 1200 interstate finished in 1987. The parts issue could be important here in New Zealand as there is a not a huge basisof owners compared to the US.

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

:12blue:welcome from the HOOSIER STATE!!!!:1000red:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Well welcome from N.C. 96 sounds good, six pack Asy can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Arkansas. Home of the worlds largest triple wide.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Hey, BIG WELCOME....this is a great site for anything GOLDWING !! :cool:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

Hi Eyemedia, a warm welcome from Singapore:waving:

Compare to U.S., we're neighbour :)

I agree with Flyone, GL 1500 is easier to get parts.

I'm hopingsome day will ride to Australia and New Zealand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.