Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. I have just joined, and here is my little story.

I was working in Nigeria and once visiting my brother in Cedars Town where he had a shadow. Went with him to the local Honda dealer to sort out an issue and it was then that I first laid eyes on the Goldwing. It must have been in 1989 and I saw the 1987 bike there, the one with the electronic gauges. For many years, I had seen nothing except tiny scooters, like Hondas and Suzukis 150 and 250, and when I saw this HUGE bike and all the luxury it offered, I was simply entranced by it. I sat on it while it was resting on its jack stand (or whatever it is called) and admired its enormous size and all the gismos in it. The dealer wnated me to take it for a ride but I was scared to find it too big to handle. I simply wanted it and did not want to find it too large to handle thus risking the possibility of buying it.

So I paid for it and had it delivered to my brother's house and only then I tried it !!

Anyway, the bike stayed with me in Nigeria for all those years where it had then 8000 miles and I have clocked another 4000 miles. Having moved now to Lebanon, I shipped it with me and having it stripped to the bone now to refurbish it, some paint to the engine block, some polishing to the chrome and of course all the rubbers, filters belts brakes, shock seals etc to be changed.

We have a nice little club here and we organize trips on weekly basis, so once it is done, we will be driving it a lot in our 300 sunny day country.

I am attaching the only photo I have of the bike before we stripped it, showing me and my soul mate. We were meeting up for one of those weekly trips.

This is a great forum indeed.

Cheers

Farouk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thank you Farouk for the potted history and a fantastic picture, no wonder you have a smile on your face, great looking lady, great bike, good friends and fantastic sunny days. :clapper::clapper:

It is indeed an honour to share the forums with a member from the Middle East, not too many on here as yet, and I see you are sharing the ride with at least one other Winger on an 1800. :)Are there many Wings in Beirut do you know or are they fairly rare to see?

Glad you like the site and please do visit as often as you can, when you aren't out riding on the 1200 Aspy!!

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you Pete for the very courteous and warm welcome:)

Yes we do have at least 70 Wings here that I am aware of, mainly newer models.

I am a fan of classic cars and decided to stick to my older one, although it is privileged with being, if not mistaken, the only year with a digital dash.

I will include some photos of our activities here, but need to install a program to resize my photos first. I have just changed computers and not all the programs have been installed.

Thanks again buddy

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!!
:action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well when you get the picture re sizing thing sorted, be sure to pop the pictures in the gallery, otherwise Wexy blows a gasket.... something about band width and folks on dial up struggling to see them.... all beyond my understanding I am sure. :shock::baffled:

We shall look forward to seeing them and hearing more from you.

:waving::waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best forum in the world :action:

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Challenger_7!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome from sunny Southern California, you are in the right place. Looking forward to heaing of some rides from you.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from central Tx. lots of good info. and people, hope you enjoy as much as I:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

A warm welcome from THIS SIDE of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the international community we have.

Oh - cool license plate. :)

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Welcome Farouk. I think you are the first person from Lebanon to sign up here and I'm happy to see you posting. I hope you and your lovely lady enjoy many more miles on your Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.