Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi!

On my 4th wing, first 1500...currently trying to get started after winter...charged battery but she just spins without starting...on my old ones...if cranky after sleeping all winter.. just a touch of starting fluid always did the trick .... but on this 1500...have not yet figured out how to get to intake ....any hints on starting a 1500 after winter?

PS did only a quick search...but did not find anything specific.... please excuse if previously answered

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi paul you need a very good battery for to start the 1500 also fresh gas as the gas nowadays isonly good for about 3monthjust put on the full choke and dont touch the trottle as you will flood the engine for the starting fluid the air intake is on the left hand side of the steering colum

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum and the site Paul:waving:. Starter fluid is NOT a good thing to use on any engine.

When you say it spins do you mean the engine is turning over or the starter is just spinning without engaging the engine? Are you using full choke? Have you looked at the plugs to see if she's flooded out?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Fully charged battery, full choke, and I crack the throttle open, then close it before I try. When it does start, it has to stay on full throttle, long enough to run. In my case, about a minute. Then I'm good for the season.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,653 Posts
imported post

Put some Sea Foam in the gas tank as per the instructions.

Maybe even twice as much as they say. If it has been setting up a while, the carbs probably need a bit of degunking.

Try to jump the battery with your car battery.

I suspect the bike's battery just has not got enough spunk to get it started in the cool weather. 1500s are very infamous for being hard to start in cold weather.

you will soon learn about the "starts after you release the button" symptom. common for a battery that is not up to snuff. It whirls the engine over good, you think, but the voltage at the ignition is not enough to make her spark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.