Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello...great forum.

Recently bought a 1985 GL 1200 Interstate in Daytona with 27,000 miles.

After riding, listening, looking, smelling and reading I've done only minor maintenance - filters & fluids, front & rear tires (Dunlop D 404's), moved the trunk back about 2" and added passenger armrests (the missus and I aren't as svelte as we once were).

After several long rides, I noticed a burning oil smell and located oil that had dripped onto the exhaust pipe on the right side. While parked, it would come down the center stand - a very small amount. It was dripping from the boot (rubber bellows) covering the U-Joint.

Further research (mostly at this site) and with the help of the dowloaded Honda Shop Manual, it seemed logical that it was a leaky oil seal at the Output Shaft. Being too much of a job for me at this time I took it to a shop near me that knows wings.

Hope to have it back this coming week. In an effort to save some labor costs, I removed the trunk, bags, bumper and about 50 lbs of chrome & lights before riding my "semi-naked" wing over to the shop.

It's really great to have a site with so much knowledge & experience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Wolfman.

This is the first wing I've owned. Previously I had a Honda 350, Norton 850 and a Honda CB750F.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Knoxville, TN!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best Winger site. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you Keno, Dubswing and Longboater.:waving:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Welcome,and nice lookin bike JP

Double check the weight ratings on those 404s,

I almost opted for them myself untell I added up the weight of my bike,myself and my wife as well as thought about anything elseI mite load.

Maybe not a problem in the front,but most the weights in the back,and the 491s,or E3s are good for a couple hundred pounds more than the 404s.

Good riding,Tory

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the tip Tory. You are correct.

The Dunlop D 404's are rated at 677 lbs on the front @ 41psi and 827 lbs on the rear @ 41psi.

The Dunlop 491 Elite II are 770 front and 910 rear.

The Dunlop Elite III are also 770 and 910.

For 1 up riding, the D 404's are adequate. For 2 up riding, however, the extra 83 lbs on the rear rating would be comforting along with the extra 93 lbs on the front.

The dry weight of the GL1200 is 705 lbs. Even with the Elite III, that only leaves 205 lbs for riders & gear. Math, never having been my strong suit, may be over simplified. This calls for an in-depth look at how weight ratings are determined.

Thanks again. Our daughter owns a parts/manufacturing company in California. I'll have to see if she can get the Elite III's wholesale.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

hi..welcome jp this is a great forum... take it easy,,,,,,,jim.. :waving::waving::waving:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.