Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. I'm looking for some advice. Im looking at a 2003 goldwing with 47.000 miles. Ive had a ton o different bikes but never a goldwing. Im a bit scared of the weight, im a strapping six footer and not a wilting flower, what are they like at slow speeds ? Also what should i be looking at when i go to look at the bike. From the pics on the dealers website the bike looks in mint condition. I have a ktm 1190 at the moment and tbf the bikes are worlds apart. But the goldwing just looks so bloody comfy.. i dont know, what advice could you "old sweats" give me ? Pull the trigger or not ??
Thanks in advance

·
Magic Moderator
4,400 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have U with us.
I'll let those who own one tell you more about it, I had a GL1500 Trike years ago.
Make sure any and all recalls have been taken care of.
Will they allow you to take it for a test ride?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have U with us.
I'll let those who own one tell you more about it, I had a GL1500 Trike years ago.
Make sure any and all recalls have been taken care of.
Will they allow you to take it for a test ride?
Yeah, ill defo be taking it for a test ride 👍

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
once it gets over 3 mph, it is like your bicycle.

just be cautious, go to a large parking lot and do slow speed turns, work on figure 8s,
practice using the foot brake for "Speed Control" while holding a bit of throttle on, and keep the clutch in the slippery zone..... use 2nd gear for this, not 1st gear. Don't be moving the clutch, hold the lever steady in the slippery zone.... don't move the throttle, the footbrake is all you need for 0-3 mph control. ( I do this every time I put the bike in the garage. )

the flat six has so much torque, you don't need 1st gear.
I have taken off from intersections in 5th gear on my 1800. just don't get wild with the throttle, let the clutch slip a bit and it will go forward. when this happens to me, I try to downshift to 4th or maybe 3rd, but 4th is good enough and off you go.

you can put the bike in 3rd gear and never change gears, and have more than enough torque for takeoff, and go faster than the speed limit allows and still be under the Redline.

Once you get out on the open road, practice making every intersection Stop a Slow Speed Competition. You will be able to keep the bike steady at 1 mph with some practice.... I do this nearly every time I come to a Stop Sign or Red Light..... the olde sayin' Practice Makes Perfect just can't be stated hard enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
once it gets over 3 mph, it is like your bicycle.

just be cautious, go to a large parking lot and do slow speed turns, work on figure 8s,
practice using the foot brake for "Speed Control" while holding a bit of throttle on, and keep the clutch in the slippery zone..... use 2nd gear for this, not 1st gear. Don't be moving the clutch, hold the lever steady in the slippery zone.... don't move the throttle, the footbrake is all you need for 0-3 mph control. ( I do this every time I put the bike in the garage. )

the flat six has so much torque, you don't need 1st gear.
I have taken off from intersections in 5th gear on my 1800. just don't get wild with the throttle, let the clutch slip a bit and it will go forward. when this happens to me, I try to downshift to 4th or maybe 3rd, but 4th is good enough and off you go.

you can put the bike in 3rd gear and never change gears, and have more than enough torque for takeoff, and go faster than the speed limit allows and still be under the Redline.

Once you get out on the open road, practice making every intersection Stop a Slow Speed Competition. You will be able to keep the bike steady at 1 mph with some practice.... I do this nearly every time I come to a Stop Sign or Red Light..... the olde sayin' Practice Make Perfect just can't be stated hard enough.
Thanks 👍
Some good advice, if i pull the trigger i can see im gonna have to "re-learn" how to ride 😂, But it sounds like fun, almost like a new project. Thanks 👍

·
Premium Member
60,537 Posts
Hallo Billy.s

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your decision of buying a Wing.
They are easy to ride once you started riding you don't feel
the weight anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts