Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I bought a 91 Aspencade recently with 60000 miles. Previous owner reported no problems. I did a lot of TLC. This included installing a battery bug. I noticed the alternator was weak so I put ona Compufire and thier battery. Cruise on and off button was sticky and would jam also.

Took it on a 300 mile trip. About 250 miles into it the bike just quit while going down the highway. Still had power to the lights but the motor just shut off, no sputtering or anything.When I tried to start it, the starter would do nothing, just drain the battery, no movementand no noise.Turned the key off and then back to on and it started right up. Made it home. Yesterday, the exact same thing. I obviously have little problem trusting a bike that might kill going down the road.

Second issue, probably of my own making. Just prior to quitting the first time, I had the cruise on. The button had ben stuck on the on position the whole trip but no indicator light. The light came on and I was using the cruise.Came home, decided to take apart the switch and clean it.Once I cleaned it the indicator light would not come on at all, even when the key was first turned on.So, I replaced the whole switch assembly. Not an easy project. (Asa side not, while cutting the straps the hold the wire bundles I accidently sliced through a bundle with only two wires a pink and a blue wire. Soldered in a splice. Does anyone know what theses wires are?)

Still no cruise and the indicator light still does not come on when the key is turned.

Any ideas would be appreciated or I will have to take it to a shop and have mechanic take over.

Thanks

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum.
First issue sounds like the bank angle sensor is bad. Do you have a repair manual? There is a test for it.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Hang in until one of the site electrical types can give you some direction. Usually electrical trouble shooting is done on a time and material basis. It can take a lot of time for a mechanic to track down an intermittentbug and you pay for each hour. If the bug only shows up while riding, due to road vibrations, it's even worse.

A service manual with wiring diagrams is what you need. It sounds likea loose connection so the fix is the easy part once you find the bug.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

On the first issue I would look at the BAS unit (bank angle sensor). It may be faulty. I say this because you said when you turned off the key and then back on it started right up. That is how you reset the BAS.

Not sure what those wires go to as I don't have a wiring diagram.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I would agree with the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) being a prime suspect for the first condition (bike dies in operation, key OFF-ON cycle resets this to operational). Your '91 is covered by the lifetime recall on the BAS and a dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN has had the warranty work done.

The text of the recall can be found here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500 Service Bulletins/1500SB6.pdf ; it may help to have this in hand as you contact your dealer (1995 was a long time ago) -- The Recall indicates thatn a "X" was to have been marked on the right lower framerail jut above the pad on the rear brake lever to identify the bikes that had had the replacement. I would recommend taking a look there for the "X" and contacting your dealer for the recall by VIN if you don't find the "X". Typically I like to use teh Cruise ON lamp to validate the power control from the BAS system (it controls the Ign/Cruise relay), but that'll be an issue in your case -- With a BAS "trip" condition (the stall and no re-start, before resetting the key OFF-ON) you should notice that the radio and CB do not mute when you press the starter switch. Normal operation is to have teh starter switch provide a 12V signal to the Radio and the CB to MUTE their audio when the starter switch is pressed... the 12V for that MUTE is controleld by the IGN/CRUISE relay which would not be engaged if the BAS has tripped.

Not recommended on a bike, btu the BAS can be bypassed by shorting its Red(white-stripe) wire to ground (green wire). BAS is located below the top frame after the shock and seat mounts behind the right saddlebag.

--------------
For the "CRUISE ON" indicator bulb. If this bulb does not illuminate with the bulb-check when the key is firs turned-ON, then then suspect the bulb itself. The "CRUISE ON" lamp and the "CRUISE SET" lamp should illuminate simultaneously during the bulb check at power on; the "R"everse, "LOW FUEL", etc. lamps are also tested.

The bulb-check circuit is located in the 'dash', so there is no conenction through the handlebar controls for the bulb check -- If one bulb "checks" then these 4 lamps should all "check", period. If one of the bulbs doesn't "check", then the bulb or wiring local at the dash should be inspected/repaired.

As for the cut wires... Pink and Blue? Pink is usually a controlled signal (you'll see solid pink at the hazard flashers, reverse controls, etc) - pink woud be more often found with a stripe color showing what the control is... and Blue is everywhere! (when solid, it's usually either a sub assembly wire color like on the fan or a noise filter; most often blue is added as a stripe color to identify a switched signal line.) - can't offer exact insight there, but fixin' what ya broke is a good first step -- I hope you had the battery disconnected so that nothign got hurt by shorts or grounds.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just to add to my original post. The two cut wires were very thin, probably 20 guage, so my guess they just carry a signal and not any substantial current. Yes, I did disconnect the battery. Everything seems to work.

Somewhere I read to shake the handlebars to rip the sensor. I don't know how that works, but it works, each time I shake the handlebars, it shuts off. I tried the radio mute test as described above. No start and no mute, reset the ignition key, mute and start.

Finally, there is no mark on my frame to indicate this work was ever done. I will be calling my local Honda dealer when they open.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The BAS, when tripped, will open the ground to the IGN/CRUISE relay effectively dropping the power that is controlled by that relay. Systems that will shut-off include the ignition (including fuel pump), Starting, Reverse, and Cruise...

However, when your engine is running, the IGN/CRUISE relay is pulled in and these systems should all be powered properly (again, for the bulb check- if the "CRUISE SET" lamp checks, the "CRUISE ON" lamp should also check when the bike is first powered on).

So, Yes, the BAS and Cruise systems are related through a power control relay, but cruise symptoms should exizibit only AFTER the BAS has latched open!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.