Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my name is Matt and I'm in Cincinnati, OH. I've had my 83 GL1100 for 4-5 years now. She's on the bench right now for new timing belts, carb clean and sync, valve adjustments, wheel, stem and swingarm bearings. Some other things too but mainly a big ole overhaul lol.

These boards have been a HUGE help with some of the tech aspects. I'm not new to turning wrenches but 95% of my bike work has been sport bike related.

And cause every intro thread needs some entertaining aspects...

edit: I guess I can't post any pictures yet. Until further posting occurs... imagination time lol.

My dog rides with me lol
xxxx

And some photoshop fun. I had just finished gettin the track bike ready for an event and had just spent an hour or so figuring out how to get the carbs out of the wing... man oh man...
xxxx

I'll be around more on here, this bike is going interesting places. Sneak peak of my ongoing leaner side car build:
xxxx
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,981 Posts
With a glorious intro like that, no way you can be a spammer.

YOU ARE APPROVED !!! :rofl:

welcome to the forum, and glad to see you here.

hope to learn something from what you have been doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I am in serious need of some help right now. (sorry to finally make an intro and post up in this moment of crisis... I have been lurking and researching since I joined lol)

I am putting the swingarm back on right now and am having serious trouble wrapping my brain around how I can put 72 ft/lbs of torque to a bearing.

rewinding a bit... even though the swingarm exhibited no play, I pulled it to replace the bearings as a general refresh. Upon inspection, I decided to regrease and reuse the bearings because it appears the bike was well maintained. There was fresh, still green grease on the universal.

So I put the swingarm back up in place, centered it, and went to torque the right side. It felt like I was turning the same resistance, then BAM the bearing exploded.

I pulled it back out, pulled the race and replaced the bearing with new. I did the other side too so they were both new.

After hours of searching (not kidding lol) I decided to try again. Every other ATV or motorcycle swing arm job I came across that uses a similar system uses only 12-15 ft/lbs on the bearing, and both sides have a locknut. Not just one like the goldwing.

So nervously... I put the swingarm back up, make sure both sides were snug against the bearings and began torquing the right side. At around 20-30 lbs of pressure, the inner bearing pulled through the dust cover accompanied by a POP sound that was the seal spring exploding.

Now I'm stuck. I still have one good bearing that came from the left side for a third and final attempt... but what am I doing wrong??

I am not new to this kind of work... but this whole applying 72 ft/lbs of torque to a bearing is blowing my mind. And my bearings haha. What am I doing wrong? I am following the factory service manual. Am I missing something? Does the swingarm need to be all the way tight to one side of the frame or the other? I have it centered (about 1/8" gap on either side)

Thank you!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be better to pose this question over in the tech area? I jut started typing away without thinking. I don't want to double post now though lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the idiot of the day award goes toooo..... me.

I didn't let the right side bolt bottom out on the frame. It was pushing on the bearing. So painfully obvious now that I 'see' it. The bottoming out of that bolt determines the position of the swingarm, not measuring and centering as the double lock nut systems do. Derp.

Now I want to delete my second post... haha. I won't though... maybe it will keep someone else from making the same stupid mistake. On we go...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final conclusion:

I guess I dropped the right side pivot bolt at some point and dinged it because it wasn't sliding into the bearing race. Which I should have checked before I ruined a bearing and a seal. I polished the pivot back up and it all went together easy peasy. Imagine that lol.

Final cost of my mistake:

$25 bearing kit that I could have returned
$110 on HF bearing puller kit and driver kit

and possibly a ruined digital caliper that I knocked my drink over onto.


Hope y'all are having a better evening that I am! ha
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,981 Posts
Matt,

I am moving this whole thread into the Tech forum where you can get personal attention.... we will still give you a Glad Hand, so never fear :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it figured out... thank you for moving it to the correct place. It was really one of the dumbest mistakes I have ever made working on bikes.

Once I get the garage cleaned up a bit I'm going to make a build thread. It's a wreck at the moment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the forum family from Pennsylvania. Good luck with your Wing! You will surely find some great info and even better members who are always ready to help other members out.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top