Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just recently convinced my old next door neighbor to sell me his ’82 Aspencade just before he went in for a lung transplant. 11 years ago, he pulled it into his garage, and then ended up never getting back on it because he got sick with lung cancer. There it sat for 11 years in nearly mint condition with a half full tank of gas.

The carbs were totally gummed up and the tank was full of rust.I’ve spent the last several weeks reconditioning the tank and completely rebuilding the carbs. (With no previous motorcycle mechanical experience. However, I am very mechanically inclined and have a couple of service manuals.)

After putting it back together and changing all the fluids, filters, and spark plugs, it fired right up and ran good for several days. I haven’t had a chance to sync the carbs or adjust the pilot screws yet, because I was lacking the equipment. I was out riding it the other day and looking for a digital tach with an inductive pickup so I could use it to adjust the pilot screws, when it began acting up.

It is intermittently lacking power and might be missing in the mid to high-range under a load. It starts displaying the symptoms after about 10 minutes of riding. Before it gets too hot, it still runs strong like it did the first few days. I haven’t done any real troubleshooting with it yet, and wanted to get some advice before I started. It might be as simple as the fact that since I haven’t made the pilot screw adjustments yet, maybe it was running to rich or too lean and it could have possibly fowled the plugs. I still need to pull them out and see what they look like.

Also, I was never able to find and inductive tach, so I need to figure out how to hook up my old dell meter/tachometer to this beast. The manuals have no info, and I vaguely remember hooking the green alligator clip to one side of the coil on my old car. I believe the bike has two coils hidden somewhere under the center pod, but I haven’t been able to get that completely off yet to find them. (I know the 4 bolts to remove, but it has all that air compressor stuff hooked to the lid that I’m not sure what to do with. Some help here would be nice) Once I do find them, I’ll still be unsure of how to hook up this old dell/tachometer or whether or not it will even work.Some help here would be lovely too. How/where do you hook up a standard dwell/tachometer to it?

Is there anything else I should just replace before I start troubleshooting just because it's been sitting for so long? It only has 17,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone has too offer. I am very much looking forward to getting this classic running right and getting out on it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

If its intermittent then perhaps the plug leads are perished. Try spraying them with WD40 first and see if it helps for a while. If it does then you will know the leads need replacing. Plug leads always break down after long layups.

Why do you need a tach for the setup, I just use the bikes tach when I'm balancing my carbs.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for your reply! The book says that, when setting the pilot screws, I need a tach thatdisplays RPMs in increments of 50. I tried to set them by ear by just listening for a change inRPMs, but was not very successful. Any tips on setting the pilot screws? Wouldn’t also be a good idea to check the dwell with the dwell meter if I can get it hooked up? Any tips for checking dwell/points?

For the first reply, all 4 air cutoff valves were replaced when I rebuilt the carbs. (they were almost completely melted into a liquid state!)

Thanks for your ideas and help! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.