Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I went to tighten the steering bearings on my new to me 91 Aspencade with 60,000 miles. Did the intitial torque and the final torgue. Put the top triple tree clamp back on, put any type of torque on that top nut what so ever and the steering will not turn or turns very hard.What in the world am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

OK, think I solved that. I put it together and apart three times. Third time I did not quite go to 14 foot pounds torque, somewhere over 11 though. That seems to have taken care of that problem. Did have to use may brand new lockwasher over a few times, is that a problem? Finally, now my self cancelling turn signals do not want to self cancel. Hmmm

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hi! I had a few hassles with mine,too. I pinched my return throttle cable beyond repair when I torqued everything down. Did you clean and inspect the bearings? They get pretty dry in there. Also, the signals cancelling switch is a bitch. It has a connection way down in the tube, and unless you pull the big wire grommet up enough to gain some wire lenth, you can't reach the connector. Check how you put the cancelling switch back on, as well. It's easy to put it on backwards. You may be looking at new bearings, so don't be suprised if you do. Hope this helps. I'd find a picture on a parts finder online if you don't have a manual. Welcome, and good luck. Others will chime in soon. jimsjinx

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

AWM614 wrote:
Hi, I went to tighten the steering bearings on my new to me 91 Aspencade with 60,000 miles. Did the intitial torque and the final torgue. Put the top triple tree clamp back on, put any type of torque on that top nut what so ever and the steering will not turn or turns very hard.What in the world am I doing wrong?
When you say you did the final torque was that on the lock nut just above the locking ring? That nut should only be finger tight before locking it to the lower nut.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yep, the upper of the two bolts below the triple clamp I did only handtighten. The one below that I had to go a little lighter on the torque.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

No, I did not clean and lube the bearings. I want to get as much riding time as I can yet this year. Plus, I was a little afraid I may get in way past where I want to be at this point. I may replace the bearings next year, but I am a little leery to take the forks off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.