Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all -

I think that I'm looking at a new alternator for my '96 GL1500A. Has a scrubbing sound coming out of it. If you click the link below it will take to you my Photobucket album with a brief video and the scrubbing sound. I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm its a bad alternator.

I've been reading about the higher amperage aftermarket alternators that are out there. What are your experiences with them and where is the best place to buy one from? Or, which one(s) should I avoid. I see several different ones on Ebay.

TIA,

- jblack5 (aka Jerry)

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i478/jblack5555/?action=view&current=Alternatornoisesmall.mp4

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

You could have the alternator rebuilt. Might be brushes making the noise.

If you just want to go with a new higher out put one I would go with a compufire one along with a AGM battery. I would not trust an aftermarket brand.

Shop around for the new alternator and battery. I use www.cyclemaxohio.com for most all of my parts. Great people to deal with and they have fast shipping.

Just ordered parts from them today!!!

Ride Safe Always!!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I cannot confirm that it is the alternator, but it is not the brushes. You can take a long srew driver and use it as a stethoscope by setting it on different areas while your ear is against the handle

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I can't tell you if it's your alternator or not either, but I can tell you I bought a high output new alternator from a seller on ebay and it's been great so far. I got it in April of this year and have put on around 8000 miles on it so far with no issues. Here's my thread on it with links to the seller.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/113333.html

John

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

jnel57 wrote:
I cannot confirm that it is the alternator, but it is not the brushes. You can take a long srew driver and use it as a stethoscope by setting it on different areas while your ear is against the handle
+1

If you are sure the noise is coming from the alternator, it does sound like something has let go.

Your rubber dampers will have most likely taken a beating also. Do not skimp here and replace them at the same time.

JD

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did the wooden broomstick stethoscope test and the racket is definitely coming from the alternator.

Deciding on the alternator is next. I won't scrimp on replacing the dampers for sure.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I can't say for sure as not there to hear it in person but it kind of sounds like you may have a bushing spinning in the housing at the end of the shaft. Good luck ride safe.:sadguy: ( The bushing acts like a bearing on the end of the spinning shaft in the housing end)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

djcmk wrote:
I can't say for sure as not there to hear it in person but it kind of sounds like you may have a bushing spinning in the housing at the end of the shaft. Good luck ride safe.:sadguy: ( The bushing acts like a bearing on the end of the spinning shaft in the housing end)
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there djcmk! :thumbsup:

John

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Sorry I'm late the the party, you'll find the alternator's rear bearing loose in the case (case is likely damaged beyond what I'd like to reuse)

Rebuilt on an exchange basis or an aftermarket would be good choices.

As DriverRider posts above, order the rubber drive dampers now, so you'll have them on hand to install with the replacement alternator.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I can't tell you if it's your alternator or not either, but I can tell you I bought a high output new alternator from a seller on ebay and it's been great so far. I got it in April of this year and have put on around 8000 miles on it so far with no issues. Here's my thread on it with links to the seller.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/113333.html

John

+1

I have this same alternator and have been running it since May with no problems what so ever....

Also it's cheaper than the Compufire.....

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I think you're right satan. Pulled the alternator this morning. Both brushes are intact and the front bearing seems to turns fine. The rear bearing turns rough.

Here's a top-down look at the rear bearing and brushes:

Looks like it was a rebuilt alternator installed by the previous owner that may not have gotten a new rear bearing:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

In another thread I was asking about oil that was showing up on the underneath side of the alternator. Here's a picture of the area with the alternator and dampers removed. Should a new O-ring on the replacement alternator fix that issue? (Sorry for all the questions folks, but this is my first GW and I'm "winging" it as I go).

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

You're spot on there jblack5 --- that large-diameter o-ring should do the trick to stop your drip there, and is a good thing to put onto a new alternator (if it doesn't come with a new one)

It's tough to see from the wear pattern in your last photo there, but the new rubber dampers that you'll be installing (right :p ) should go strap-into the bike. Generally, you can kinda see a little of that "strap" wearing on the bike's drive plate, and I'm not seeing that 'shine' in your photo.

Sounds like you've got things well in hand there.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The rear bearing usually removes from the rear housing attached to the rotor shaft. It is a press fit on shaft.

Any scuffing on the OD of the rotor?

JD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
The rear bearing usually removes from the rear housing attached to the rotor shaft. It is a press fit on shaft.

Any scuffing on the OD of the rotor?

JD
In this case the rear bearing stayed in the housing. Here are some pics of the rotor. I dunno if its a normal amount of scuffing or not? Rebuildable?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

That is where the noise was coming from, rotor vanes. Was it charging before? Sure it could be rebuilt, you just have to know what you are looking for.

Seeing as how it is riding season though, just replace it. It might have been a knock-off from the start.

JD

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If a new bearing slides onto and off the rotor easily the rotor is toast.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Yes, it was charging, just making a heck-of-a-racket.

I've already ordered another one and got the email earlier that it has shipped. Guessing it will be here some time mid-next week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.