Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

I need some advice. I found a 1982 GL 1000 for 1,750 on ebay with 27,000 miles. The guy is a retired older gentleman that did some work for someone that couldnt pay him so they gave him this motorcycle. It sat for four years and he said he had to clean out the carbs to get it to run and the brakes don't work so it would have to be on a trailer home. From the pics it looks to be in great cosmetical shape, but how much of a gamble could this be and would it be worth the risk?

I would appreciate any input on this ASAP b/c IF this is a good deal, I need to jump on it but I don't know a thing about Goldwings and have average mechanical knowledge. I can bleed brakes, replace the pads and rotor...lighter things but serious carb work or engine work hell no.

Could anyone offer some advice here?
Thank you all:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Welcome.

If you need to pay someone to work on it then you might want to pass if it is not in overall good condition.

Brakes can be easy, or hard, depending on what is wrong.

Bill

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I paid $1100 for my 82 GL1100 I last September. It needed work and attention, but I did most myself, so here's what you can look forward to:
Tires, $300
Brakes, $100
Front fork seals, $75
Balance the carbs (I bought a gauge kit) $100
Paint (mine needed it) $400
Rear fork seals, $75
Time belts (yours is due after 30 years) $75

prices include the parts and special materials/tools/supplies.

Now, streaming down the road in something that I know inside and out, that I trust and enjoy, well, like Master Card says, priceless.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
Welcome.

If you need to pay someone to work on it then you might want to pass if it is not in overall good condition.

Brakes can be easy, or hard, depending on what is wrong.

Bill
I agree, if you can't do ALL the work, it is probably not a good idea. Parts are expensive enough. Also, a bike with low mileage that just sat there for years is not nearly as good a deal as one with higher mileage that has been ridden on a regular basis. Especially a liquid cooled bike. The carbs (and probably the tank) will need to be removed and cleaned, the carbs will need a complete dissassembly and cleaning, most shops charge several hundred dollars for this.

I bought an '85 for $1200, and it is now obvious it is going to take at least that much more to make it roadworthy and dependable, and that is just in parts, with me doing all the work. You wouldn't believe all the things that can go wrong with these bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

I think the price is high considering the risk of future investment. The only people that make money from working on vehicles are professional mechanics working on other peoples bikes.

If you are talented and have the tools you might be able to come up with a low out of pocket cost ride at the end but the question you have to ask your self is "Is this my final dream bike?".

I've seen people overspend onrestoring vehicles because they got the start vehicle free. Then they put more into it than it was worth ending up with something that wasn't really what they wanted.

If you have never restored anything I seriously suggest the following:
Buy an old lawnmower at a yard sale and restore it. The things you learn will save you from making costly mistakes on a motor vehicle. You will learn about paint, wrenching, wiring, rust removal, chrome, etc.

You will start with a $20 mower and will spend $1000 fixing it to like new condition.It will then be worth $200.

For a bike add one zero to the numbers and for a car add two zeros.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I bought an '85 GL1200I last March for $1000.00that had a bad stator. I spent a total of $300.00 to install the Poorboy conversion and have not had to spend any more money in unscheduled maintenance.

I changed the fluids and timing belts and it's been running great for the last 8000 miles.

As others have stated, if you don't work on your own bike, a 'vintage' bike could get expensive to own.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

vstarnitelite wrote:
Hey all,

I need some advice. I found a 1982 GL 1000
There is no such model. An 82 is a GL1100. The GL1000 are 1979 and earlier models.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

If you're of average mechanical ability and spend some time on this forum I think you'll find pretty much all the information needed to do the "usual" things necessary to bring the old girl up to snuff.

I would agree that $1,750 might be on the high side unless the carb work done eliminated that from your to do list. You'll want to know if it was rebuilt, if so what kit was used, and if only cleaned out plan for a rebuild for which parts and instruction manual will run about $220 from Randakk's Cycle Shack.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

That's allot of cash for a 30 year old bike that needs to be trailered home.

If it is a gold wing you desire.....buy one that you can drive home. Be patient and keep looking. The mileage is way to low as mentioned. In the end you are better off buying a wing that has more miles on it and has been ridden recently.......one that is a daily rider even better. You will pay more but save in the end. A sleeping wing is a gamble. The problem is the carburetors will need to be rebuilt and if your not into that then it's tough to find a competent fellow to do the work. Countless crappy rebuilds by so called bike mechanics litter this forum. If this old fellow messed with the carbs he most likely screwed them up in the process if he is not experienced with a wing. If it were me I would be looking for a ride away bike while dealing with the older 1100's. Even then you will no doubt be doing some intense maintenance. But it's fun to do that and you can pick away at it. The cost for this maintenance is reasonable indeed.

RED

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

THEBIGRED1 wrote:
That's allot of cash for a 30 year old bike that needs to be trailered home.

I totally agree. Theres so many of these bikes still out there is good ridealble condition, that have had the proper maintenance done...sometimes for about the same money or a little more, but in the end if you don't want alot of problems its probably worth the extra money...

I've got an '82(not for sale at this point), but I can't imagine selling it for more then a few thousand dollars... heck.. I only paid a few thousand for it 16yrs ago..its given me that great of service.. so the possibilities are there.... and I do see them all over the place for a few thou...

On the other hand, if you do want to do some wrenching and learning... make the guy an offer... I don't know what I would offer.. and thats something you'd have to figure out too... I don't know that I would offer even a thousand though, considering its not near rideable at this point. Good luck with it... they're very addicting bikes with a ride like no other. :)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

just my 2 cents, I bought a average condition '84 1200 for $900. It has a miss in on cylinder but it does drive and stop. Yours seems kinda high for a non running bike

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome vstarnitelite[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

I agree that it seems a bit expensive for something that will need a lot of work.

My 78 GL1000 was less than $1000, and ran great. The PO did the carbs and stator, and all I've had to do is a few minor things that haven't really cost that much. I have spent more on the cosmetic things than on the mechanical, but I also do all my own work.

These aren't bikes for people with no mechanical knowledge, since most dealers won't touch older bikes.

If you'd like to learn a bit more about mechanical work, here's a great online tutorial:

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

It's good, and it's free!

In my personal opinion though, I'd look for a better bike. In fact, you should look at the For Sale section on this forum.

:waving:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

WELCOME to the Family! You're the 10th member from Greenfield.

As to the GL1100 - forget it. The only people I would recommend such a bike to are previous Wing owners that are looking for a nostalgic project. The cash involved in getting it road-worthy could easily be used for another bike that just needs to be mounted and ridden. This spring when I was looking to replace the Silverwing and was debating buying a Valkyrie or getting an older Wing I found an '83 Wing with 55K in minty shape for $2300. You'd easily be that deep into the Ebay bike before you'd be riding. If you're not familiar with Wings I'd suggest you keep looking. Find one that gets you on the road and addicted to the Wing culture.

Look what I found in your area in under 5 minutes of searching:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2507776581.html($2000)

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2447045470.html($2500)

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2491963369.html($2500)

http://muncie.craigslist.org/mcy/2454968035.html($2000)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2510251827.html ($2500)

Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I'm getting my Dad's 82' GL 1100 back on the road and not really concerned too much about the cost because of the sentimental value of the bike. In the end, I know I'll probably put more in then it's worth but that's not even a consideration.

For an ebay purchase, I think you'd do well to follow some of the advice above and get something alreadyrunning or that requires little investment to get on the road.

Thanks for stopping by and posting!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

I paid $500 for my first wing a 83 Interstate that needed work on it . It came with two blown engines made a good engine out of both of then . The carbs and brakes needed to be rebuilt . The forks lasted a yer before they had to be rebuilt that was 6 years ago . Then i paid $200 for my second wing that had been started to be parted out the carbs abd brakes and the forks all needed doing all done by me . By the sounds of it it needs alot of work so im thinking id give him about $500 bucks for it . Look at the prices of the parts that bcassel said you would need .

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

mine was 900 dollars and it ran, just had to work on front brakes. had sat for over an year. I might try little cheaper, myself I would not pay over 1500 for an 82

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

sounds like a 1,000 bike at best

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.