Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to all!

Wifey and I want to continue the tradition of my Dad and Mom, riding the wing and camping when we felt like it, but I am having issues with the comfort of the Wing.

(Yes, reach up and push your bottom jaw back up, i said it) I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam, and the way the foot pegs are set, my legs feel like they are tucked under me like a sport tourer. I have sat on some with highway pegs, and they make my shins rub the fairing. My Dad (departed 1/31/2007) was 6'8", with a 38" inseam, but he rode a standart GL1800 all over the place, I can't figure for the life of me how! I have sat on his bike, and boy did I feel crunched. The only bike we have tried that felt comfortable enough to me to go on a long ride on is a Victory Vision, which has really long foot boards, and a higher cut fairing. We want a wing, can anybody help with suggestions? I have seen some custom seat websites, but there is no try before you buy, and I would hate to buy a wing, and not be able to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum have you tried sitting on the gl1500 see if that is any better.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcomd from sunny Southern California, you have come to the right place. You should post that question in the misc forum, I bet you would get a lot more results. I'm only 5' 7" so I would not have good information for you. But there is a lot of tall members here that can help.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Welcome from another Alabamian:waving::waving: Good luck in your quest! I can't give much info on a 1800 or 1500. But I know I like my 1200....but I'm not but 5'11. You may try sitting on a 1500 and see if the fit is better. If you can get down to the Birmingham area, I will get up with another forum member..Bashful and see if he will be available for a butt test:cooldevil:. He has a 1500.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

Hi welcome from central Tx. lots of good info. and people here hope you enjoy it as much as I do. sorry i can't help you with your problem being only 5'8":cheeky1: good luck

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas! :waving:

I hope you find it as informative and entertaining as we do! :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,709 Posts
imported post

I think you are going to find that the GL1500 offers you the best for long legs.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I put highway pegs on it mounted even with the front cylinders, and a Markland backrest. That let me get my feet way "up there" and my back tilted back about 15 degrees. I moved the handlebars up about 3 inches from where they where.

If that is not enough to help, there are several after market seats that are really very good that can lift you up as much as you desire.

Diamond for one, requires that you give them your body specs before they will build you a seat. If you still have that 1800 of your dads, order up a Diamond seat for it before you let it go. Also put some Mick O Pegs on it, those are guaranteed to give you the needed leg room. I have tried them on Mick's personal 1800 and they really felt good to me.

If you still don't like it, then get a good 1500 and fix it up like I described. You'll be very satisfied then.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

I recommend you post your questions over in the General Motorcycle Discussion section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

Welcome, look forward to your input.

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey friends, sorrry so long getting back, been out riding! :) turns out Dad'sbike is a 1500, and Mom's not giving it up! LOL so i found a used one of my own! fits fine, rides great! thanks for all the help. Turns out also that they had mistakenly bought a different seat when they triked the bike in later years,and Dad was too stuborn to take it off the bike after buying it, even though it moved him forward 2" !!! what are ya gonna do,:waving:Thanks for the good advice!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Glad you got it sorted out.

BTW welcome to the site from just up the road from you.

I have family memebers that live in Boaz.

Ride Safe!!!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

used to live in falkville, on Morgan-Nelson Road. howdy back, actually live in douglas now, but nobody knows where that is! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Welcome from VA, enjoy your stay. :waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status