Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Terre and I have been lurking behind the scenes reading up on Gold Wings, for the last few days, and decided to join this site. My first road bike was a 1981 Honda CB750F that I purchased right after high school, but that was 30 years ago. For the last 6 years I have been restoring vintage John Deere snowmobiles, but because of the lack of snow here in Southeastern Michigan, I decided to sell my last two and buy this beauty, it's a 1990 GL1500SE. It has 114,000 on the clock and is in need of some TLC. I have decided to do a tear down and close inspection on the bike, repair all known issues, perform any preventive maintenance that is needed and finally do a deep clean and detail the bike before putting it back on the road.

This is my list of planned repairs, based on what I have found so far.

Cruise control light stays on, cruise doesn't work.
Rusted out mufflers - planning on putting on the Harley mufflers.
Missing hardware - bolt that holds the rear air shock on.
Frayed and broken wiring.
Radio crackles
Trunk/saddle bag release mechanism.

So far this is what I have planned for, what I am going to call, preventive maintenance

New wheel bearings front and rear.
New front tire. (rear was new last year)
Inspect timing belts (owner said they were replaced at 85,000)
New bearings in steering head.
Replace throttle cables (the throttle seems a little stiff)
Inspect brakes (owner said they were done last year)
Change all fluids, and filters.
New spark plugs.

I'm sure I am forgetting something, but I'm sure I will be adding to the list as I read more and get into the bike more. Please feel free to add anything to the list that I should be looking at.

Cosmetically it's not too bad, it has a couple of spots that need some paint touch up, and it's going to need the paint buffed back out so it shines again. A little detailing and of course some chrome wouldn't hurt either.

I will continue to read through some of the threads on here, learning about these great bikes, and hopefully I can find what I need, if I don't I'm sure someone on here will have the know how to help me with my project. Looking forward to getting this one back on the road, and with everyone's help on this great site, I'm sure we can get this done.

Thanks....Terre

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome Terre! Sounds like you have a good project. Hope you'll be riding it soon. Hello from Utah.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Welcome to you Terre. Hope you are able to be on the road soon. Have fun with the project and enjoy the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:Johnnycyclone

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Welcome from North Dakota

·
Premium Member
73,634 Posts
Hallo Johnnycyclone

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will post some pics as I make progress on the bike. I am hoping to have it ready for the road in 4-6 weeks. Today was only 41 degrees and snow, so spring hasn't really arrived in Michigan just yet.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts