Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all. A new member here. Joined the forum in hopes it might help me decide if I want to go back to a Wing. I am currently riding a ST1300. Its an OK ride but not what I had hoped for in terms of long distance comfort. I have spent a ton on farkles trying to convert the ST into a mini Wiing. Most of the the add-ons have helped in terms of comfort/convenience but after 300 miles or so riding starts to become work rather than fun. My main problem is pain in my shoulders. This seams to be due to the forward lean typical of a sport/touring bike. Never had this problem on my old '87 Aspencade. What I would really like to have is a mini Wing but cant find anything that fits this bill. The ST1300 comes close and with a few design changes toward touring comfort it could be the answer but its just not quite there for me. The bars require to much of a reach, the stock seat is literally a PITA, and my legs are to cramped up.

Thinkin bout trading the ST for a new Wing base model. Would like to have ABS but dont want to pay for the overpriced comfort and nav systems. I already have a Zumo GPS which I like. I have heard the factory unit has a safety feature that wont allow you to do much with the GPS while riding. The Zumo has same but can be disabled. Dont much care for Honda deciding for me when its safeto adjust my GPS. Have also heard updating the unit cost $200 compared to $75 for the Zumo. Big advantage to the factory unit appears to be its integration with the sound system. Dont know if you can integrate the Zumo in a similar fashion or not. Would like to have heated grips but dont really want a heated seat. Dont think I want ABS bad enough to pay 3 to 4K extra to get it when I dont want the other stuff.

Most of my riding is one up. I dont need 1800cc for that. Would like to have something in the 1000cc range with the comfort of a Wing. Something that gets better fuel economy and less weight. I should mention that Im built like an ape. I have 29" inseam so BMW'ssaddle height is a problem for me. I like the low saddle on the Wing.

All in all the most comfort I have had on a bike was my old Wing. Even though its more bike than I want/need I am thinking of coming back home to a Wing. I am a Conservative rider (no peg dragging) so I dont really need sport bike attributes. I enjoy relaxing, comfortablesite seeing one-up touring. The Wing fits the bill and then some. I would have to pay for more bike than I want but at least I think it would be the answer to my comfort issue.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

:waving:

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
imported post

Greetings friend, and welcome to the forum! In my opinion, its really hard to match, much less beat a 'Wing. You might look in eBay or Craig's List to see if there's a 'Wing that has what you want, without the high, "brand new" sticker price. Just an idea...

Happy Thanksgiving!:cooler:

See ya on the road... :15white:I'm the one that salutes with the left hand instead of the "low wave". :sozzled:

Safe Rides & God Bless!!

Robby - aka Texas Grasshopper

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

HelloIIbaker2 and welcome from Arizona.

[align=left] "Why buy'm if you don't ride'm"[/align]

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the fourm. Have you tried the "Heli bar" option for resetting the ST1300 bars to a more comforable position? Also, Rick Mayer makes a supper comfortable seat for the ST1300. (Just Google his name) Then too, there are highway peg options for the ST. You have those? Having said and asked all that, I have to concure, there is no finer touring comfort than on a Gold Wing.
Welcome to here. Mario

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

mariowink wrote:
Welcome to the fourm. Have you tried the "Heli bar" option for resetting the ST1300 bars to a more comforable position? Also, Rick Mayer makes a supper comfortable seat for the ST1300. (Just Google his name) Then too, there are highway peg options for the ST. You have those? Having said and asked all that, I have to concure, there is no finer touring comfort than on a Gold Wing.
Welcome to here. Mario
Been there, done that. I have MotorCycleLarry (MCL) riser plate (very similar to Heli Bar), MCL highway pegs, MCL peg extensions, Utopia backrest, Spenserized saddle, AirHawk and Alaska seat pads. The dude at Spencers Motorcycle Seat Mods (http://greatdaytoride.com)is well know among ST1300 forums for doing a nice mod at good price. Spencer seat may not be as good as some of the custom saddles but at $100 for a mod its a good alternative. All the mods helped but I kinda feel like I am trying to make a apple out of an orange. Beginning to realize I may just have to buy an orange.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

I recommend you post your questions over in the General Motorcycle Discussion section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.

That being said, I think you already made your decision, but just don't know it yet... :) I think you have already sold yourself on a wing. And that's not a bad thing at all, if its what you want.

I have had two wings so far, a 1200 and a 1500. I loved the 1200and put about 75000 miles on it before I decided to "upgrade" to a 1500. The 1500 is nicer and I like it better, but not so much that I would ever hesitate to go back to a 1200 if needed.

I don't have any experience with an ST1300, and I know some people that are truly happy with theirs, so I know it must be a good bike. But I don't care for sport bikes because I am all about comfort. I like to be able to load up the trunk and saddle bags, and jump on and go for an all day ride, sometimes500 or more miles at a shot. I might be able to do that on another bike, but I know I can do it on a Goldwing.

Regarding the GPS, I am on my 3rd, I had a Garmin Street Pilot, a Street Pilot 3 and now a Street Pilot 2610. They have always met my needs, and I think that they do more than the Honda unit can do. I'm not impressed with the Honda GPS.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well in reading your post a couple times, bad as I hate to admit it, really do not want to. :) Sounds like a good used 1500 would be the ticket. And also be much cheaper and plenty of power for one up. Kit

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

llbaker2,

I just bought my '06 Airbag in August. If you want comfort, performance, style, comfort, comfort, comfort, the Wing is it (sounds like you already know that). I wouldn't discount the comfort package, or the built in nav either, they are nice, convient, and you will spend more later adding them on.

I believe in the additional safety of ABS and I hope I wasted the 1,250 dollar sticker increase for the airbag and never use it, BUT . . . I would feel like a fool if I lived throught a collision in which an Airbag could have reduced my injuries if I hadn't bought it. (Watch the Airbag demo video on youtube and it will make a believer out of you.)

Ibought my '06 Airbagoff of Craigslist. If you have Firefox (or download it, it's free) and CrazedList (free download) you can search Craigslist for the whole western US at once. (You can still use your other browser, just have to use Firefox when using CrazedList.)

Happy hunting, I live in northern Ca and had to go to Boise to get mine, but I got a great bike out of the effort and at a good price.

(This site also has some good for sale Wings, as does the GWRRA site.)

Nice Avatar, welcome to the forum, I am quiet new to it myself.

I just bought a Utopia backrest, which as best I can tell is about the best value and most comfortable design available........don't have it yet, but a good backrest, some highway pegs, maybe floorboards, good riding posture, will all help with back/shoulder pain,of which I have to work on mitigating too.

My two cents worth..........

J.C.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Titanium Wing

Been thinkin new but would go used low mile if I found the right bike. I have high hopes of relocting soon. I have lived out west vertually all my adult life until 2 yrs ago (CO, MT, UT). Lost my job and wound up in New Orleans. Not happy here. I think Im in the running for a job in Flagstaff. If I get the job I will most likely get a Wing. Not sure what I will do with my ST1300. If I cant get what I want for it I may just keep it as well. Dont enjoy riding around New Orleans much. To much traffic and to many idiot cagers. If I cant get out of here may give up riding.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

llbaker2,

My bike was low miles and with the regular Honda warranty and the extended warranty, it goes to 2017. The regular warranty automatically goes with the bike, and a letter transferred the extended without any problems. I think you can buy an extended too if a purchased bike doesn't have it, as long as it is still in warranty. Saw a post, I think on the GWRRA board about getting it as low as 450, but most dealers are around 1000.

I like to buy used and let someone else take the loss for driving it off the lot, but that's just me.

If you buy new, try OTD (Out the Door) here in Auburn, one in LA and I don't know all of the locations. They have the best prices I've seen on the West Coast.

In 2006, lots of changes to the Wing, that's why I was looking for an '06. Lighter stronger frame, Airbag, etc.

Was in New Orleans to help afterKatrina, I can not stand that climate. Now Flagstaff, not a bad local to ride from. Good luck with your job, location and riding.

You should have no problem selling the ST, especially in the spring. I've got my Wide Glide for sell, but not trying too hard until spring.

J.C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.