Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am a newbie located in SW Virginia. Hello to all on the board.
I am looking at a 1986 Aspencade with 69,000 miles that has not been run since 2007.
The asking price is 2,700. The battery is dead and it cannot be started. I was wondering if anyone knows if the seat is adjustable. Looks like there is 3-4 inches of room behind the seat. I have read about a few things to look for including the stator. With 69,000 miles do you think the stator would have failed by now. There are no records but the man says everything was working when rode last time. Says he has kept it maintained.
So do you think a 6-4 guy would fit and is the asking price reasonable. Thanks for any responce and information. If I didn't make this post in the right place please forgive. If its in the wrong place, can I move it or just make a new post. Thanks to all.

oldmanonavtx

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome to the forum, from sunny Southern California. I'm letting some others with your model answer that question and they will be along. You should ask this question in the General Motorcycle section for a better response.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Welcome Aboard!:waving:

·
Premium Member
20,619 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard! :action:

I am going to move this to the General forum so that you can get your question answered.............Hopefully, someone that has your model will answer your question quickly!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

AspectOne wrote:
Welcome... I have shopped hard for Wings lately and i will say this. For the money you are talking about spending you can FOR SURE find an older wing with less miles that is ready ride.
I've noticed a real shortage of Wings in the classifieds for several months. I don't consider myself qualified to answer your question, but welcome to the forum. You'll find a wealth of good info here, and best of luck in your search for a ride.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
AspectOne wrote:
Welcome... I have shopped hard for Wings lately and i will say this. For the money you are talking about spending you can FOR SURE find an older wing with less miles that is ready ride.
I've noticed a real shortage of Wings in the classifieds for several months. I don't consider myself qualified to answer your question, but welcome to the forum. You'll find a wealth of good info here, and best of luck in your search for a ride.
I just bought 2 wings-Kinda...one for me and one for my brother. We looked for awhile. The one you are looking at is something like his. We were both gonna get 1200's but I couldnt resist the deal on the 1500. Anyhow he paid $1700 and put another 300 into new tires and misc stuff. The battery was dead so the seller put in a new one. At least demand that so you can test ride it. For$2700 it should be immaculate and running perfectly. He rode it home that day.I its an 82 Aspywith 44000 miles on it. He is also 6'4" and is planning on moving the seat somehow. We are still researching that. But I would say talk em down or keep looking. We saw quite a few with under 50K miles for under $2,500. In this economy, one phrase stood out, "Cash is King"

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

The seat on the 1200 is adjustable with about 2" of movement. Look at the left side of the seat for the mounting bolt, it has an hez-head bolt. The mounting tab pulls out away from the seat and the seat slides back. It is not alot of movement but may be enough to give a comfortable ride.
I agree that $2700 for a non-running bike is a little high.

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

oldmanonavtx wrote:
With 69,000 miles do you think the stator would have failed by now.
Welcome to the World's best GoldWing forum!

So far I have seen the average mileage for the OEM stator tofail is 60,000 miles, so yes, if it has not been changed yet there is a good possibility that it needs it or is close to needing it.

$2700 is way too high for a non-running 1200. If it is in very good shape other than what you told us, then I would try to get it running before making an offer. Just hook it up to a known good battery, jumper cables to your car battery should suffice, and see if you can get it started. If you can, then check the charging system, see if there's any water/anti-freeze in the exhaust which would indicate a blown head gasket, and check that everything works. Check the oil for any signs of water/anti-freeze too, which will usually form a milky foam in the oil. If all is well I would possibly go as high as $2000, but know that there is a good chance you will have to change the stator in the near future, assuming it has not been changed yet.

As for the seller's statement that "everything was working last time he rode it", I take that with a grain of salt. Heard it many times and many times it was found to be fabricated. If there are no records I wouldn't trust the maintenance claims either.

As was stated above, the seat is adjustable. On the 86Aspy, the adjustment latch is on the left side of the seat. It's easiest to work the latch with the left saddlebag lid off. It has 3 positions.

John

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Wisconsin

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!