Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This June (2012), I have a weeklong training session in Oklahoma City. I've had these training sessions in OKC before and even drove the car once,but this time I am thinking of riding the bike up there from Jensen Beach, Fl. (about mid way up on the east coast).

Never took a trip that long, neither has my wife, but we are both excited about doing this. Since I am a newbie to long-distance stuff, and without loading me down too much...what should I bring for repair on my 1995 aspencade with about 60k miles on it?

All fluids, etc. will be checked and a good preflight will be performed, but what can I expect enroute that might be surprising and something that, perhaps you didn't plan for when you took a similar trip?

Leaves a lot open, I know, but I need good info on long distance travelling with a 1500.

Thanks in advance!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Only thing you'll need if you've gone over your bike thoroughlyis your clothes, a credit card and a cell phone.

Only thing that I can see coming up unexpectedly is a flat tire and I doubt you're going to change that on the side of the road, other than to plug/inflate the tire, so get a good tire plug kit and either a compact 12V compressor, or know how to use the one on the bike with an air hose.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

If it hasn't been changed recently may want to take a fuel filter asside from that I'm with Dusty on not much else to take with you. Would take a good plug kit for tires and if not one on the bike install a volt guage. One tip I got from a buddy was to cleen out the underwear and sock drawer of old stuff and just throw it away as you use it if it's pretty well used up and buy new for the way back, kill 2 birds with one stone that way and no laundry to do. Also have a bag packed with a little of everything for overnight motel/hotel stays. And good rain gear, sucks to ride wet.

Have a really good time I know I love the longer trips on my Wing it's easier than taking a trip in my car on my back and backside!!!!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys...what kind or rain gear do you have and would you recommend everything (boots, gloves?) and a one piece or two?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey Dusty,

Just saw you had 170k on your bike. how's she running?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Runs like a new one! ;)

These wings provide a lot of 'weather protection' and as long as you are moving, you don't get all that wet, other than your face and hands.

I used to use a set of Frogg Toggs Road Toads, and although they breathe very well, the pant leg zippers are rather short, making it difficult to put on/remove the pants over my size 12 boots. I also found that after 3 seasons, the outer material around my wrists were fraying. While the material for the Road Toads seem rather 'flimsy', they do keep you dry.I now use a set of Frogg Toggs Horney Toadz (heavier duty and longer pant leg zippers to make getting them on/off easier with your boots on)in High Viz Green for rain gear (work very well) They also work well as a wind breaker and will keep you warmer when worn over your riding gear.

I just use bare hands for moderate - hot weather riding in the rain (keep my riding gloves in the trunk where they'redry for when it clears up)as I find rubber gloves make my hands sweat too much. In cooler weather, I'll wear my gloves with my grip heaters turned on asthey keep my hands warm and they dry out my gloves quicker.

I also treat myriding bootswith arctic dubbin (or snowseal) to waterproof them and they haven't leaked yet in over 4 yrs/150,000k of use.

Dusty

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

wa2ddl wrote:
...what should I bring for repair on my 1995 aspencade with about 60k miles on it?

Properly maintained, nothing except what Dusty said.... including a tire plugging kit, otherwise nothing...

As extra insurance, I keep my AAA Premium Plus card up to date (covers auto, RV and Motorcycle for 200? miles)

Some here pack alternators, fuel pumps, extra gas cans, (and sometimes the kitchen sink :)... The most likely failure is a tire.. so you pack a spare tire?? Not..

Good luck.. sounds like fun.

edt:.. +1 on Frogg Toggs... it would be good to try some on for size (over your clothes).. guessing is difficult... too big and they flap.. too small and they are confining..

edit2: addweb access device... good way to connect to this forum for advice and help..

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

well...all good news. I'll look into the raingear and get that all set. Does it take much room to pack that gear?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

wa2ddl wrote:
...Does it take much room to pack that gear?
No.. comes with a pouch about the size of 1 qt ziplock... (but then you should buy a lottery ticket if you can get it back in there....)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks sandie. BTW, like the avitar. Champagne I would guess...Veuve Clicquot?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

ok, so clothes, credit card, cell phone (with nav system), rain gear and tire plugs.

Got it...thanks, boys!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I had Frogg Toggs and found them useless in a heavy rain. If it's just misting they are okay. Get a good two piece rainsuit to wear. Other wise just ride it!! Goldwing are the best on the road!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

wa2ddl wrote:
....Veuve Clicquot?
Dom Perignon... some vintage stuff my wife found (for our wedding toast).. I almost never drink.. moreover, I hate champagne... expensive vinegar is my thought

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

wingpilot96 wrote:
I had Frogg Toggs and found them useless in a heavy rain. If it's just misting they are okay. Get a good two piece rainsuit to wear. Other wise just ride it!! Goldwing are the best on the road!
Frogg Toggs are just fine, older ones do not have the seams taped on the inside. If it rains real heavy the seat will fill with water and and it will be like sitting in a bowl of water and you will get wet, but you will not be soaked. For the money and for no more time you will use them. they are perfect. there are better rain suits if you want to spend money for something you do not use very often

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

One thing I might suggest is to build up to it. Start taking longer rides and see how it goes. Take it for a few weekend trips. Since it is not until June, that should give you a lot of opportunities to go out on longer rides. This will help you discover if you might need to tweak the seat (sheepskin, gel pad, etc...) or whatever else might need adjusting (driving pegs, cup holder, helmets, headsets, etc...) so that you will be comfortable before just embarking on a 1500 mile trip cold. There are some items that work fine for shorter distances but can cause discomfort if used for extended periods. Nothing worse than being out on the road many miles from home and being miserable because something isn't working the way it should....

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

My advise would be, take a few 500 mile weekend trips to test your seat. On my 1997 the seat is a torture rack after 200 miles. I've tried the Wal-mart cushion & the sheep skin cover, neither solved the problem for me. From what I've read, Honda cut the seat foam (reduced) in 1995 to allow the bike to sit lower for those with shorter legs. I have plans to replace my seat with a road sofa in January. My $00.02

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Good advice on working up to it... but from my experience, comfort is determined also by pre-conditioning the "backside"..

Heading out on a long ride without conditioning will result in "saddle sore" regardless of the whiz-bang sofa seat you have.... Best conditioning I ever had was riding 90 minutes every day (to and from work)... not that you need that, but the type of seat etc. was not an important factor after that..

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup .... like Jim says ... gotta break your butt in for long rides, then it's no problem to pile on the miles, day after day.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I ride a 79 GW1000

I just twist the right grip hard enough to get it up to about 80 and go fer it!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.