Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello. I'm taking my beginner drivers course in a month. I am very anxious to get a bike. I have looked at several of them, and feel that the honda shadow 650 would be good, but like the 1100 also.:jumper:I am 150 lbs woman. I can balance a 650 ok, but again, I have never actually driven anything yet. My husband got me into all this with his newly obtained GL1200. I have a ball on it and want like heck to drive it. I think I could. Very excited, Missy

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I think if you've never drove before your best bet would be starting off on something small and light to improve your skills, before going for a larger bike.

Having said that it comes down more to whatever you have the confidence to drive, so long as you can balance it ok and feel comfortable on it, go for it

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Perhaps you should wait a bit... Ride with your husband, try handling his bike in a safe setting, take your course, ride a small machine a bit. Then you will have the experience necessary where you can provide your own answers to this question.

Sorry, but not one of us has one tenth of the proper information to make this decision for you. And we all know how many new riders are injured before they see the magic 5000 mark.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

missy wrote:
Hello. I'm taking my beginner drivers course in a month. I am very anxious to get a bike. I have looked at several of them, and feel that the honda shadow 650 would be good, but like the 1100 also.
Pardon the boorishness of other members, but welcome to the forum, Missy!

:waving::waving::waving:

There are a couple of ways to get going. One would be getting a 250 and starting out with that. They are relatively cheap and you could get going with that and then sell it for a larger bike once you felt comfortable. The 650 Shadow weighs about 300lbs less than the 1200 Wing and the seat height is a couple inches lower so that might be worth trying. There are women your size riding Wings so it's not unlikely you couldn't, but it would be a good idea to start out with something lighter. But do go for it one way or another!

:15red:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey missy :waving: Your very welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net.:clapper:

Learning to ride and handle a m/cycle for the first time is like learning to walk when we were all babies, :crying:you must learn to creep first. Pick a small bike of your own choice and liking,and learn the basics :skipping:and then work your way up the ladder :walker:untill such time that you have gained enough experience for the bigger bikes. :weightlifter: Thats just my 2euro worth.

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hi Missy,

Welcome to the web-site!

Glad to see your excitement and passion for wanting a motorcycle!

Most all of us here came up through the ranks by riding smaller bike, then medium size bikes , then larger ones! And that is maybe the best way to progress because it gives you confidence and valuble learning lessons that on a smaller bike can give you a way out of a situation while learning the lesson!

I started on a 50 cc Moped than a 90cc Honda, etc,etc.! And I'm thankful I did!

If anything I wouldn't go beyound a 650 cc at first and maybe a 400cc !

We want you to stay in touch with us here no matter what you ride, but there are some "Women who Ride" websites you can visit for some insite at "delphiforums"! I've chatted with them a little and they are knowledgeable and fun !

Be safe !!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
imported post

Yeah, starting small is good if your just learning. I tecnically learned on a 250 Kawasaki and a Honda CB 125 in a3 day riding class I took. But I went from that to an 84 wing. Kind of a big jump but I can handle it pretty good, Im 6' 3"and about 210 butI did take a little while to get used to it before I got out on the road though. Something I noticed is that its easier to learn and control itwhile learningon a dirt bike or a bike with the foot controls back under you like on a dirt bike. The Kawasaki was a cruiser style but the CB 125 is just a glorified dirt bike and it was much easier and more fun.

---Eric

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi Missy:waving:

Just adding to the rest except for one extra idea. Some of the best street riders are those who started on dirt bikes. If you live in an area that you can ride off road, pick yourself up an older Enduro model, like a 125 or 250. The bike is street legal as well as can be used on a dirt trail. Dirt riding will teach you balance, low speed maneuvers and other things that are more dangerous on the street. Have some real fun and get two bikes and you and your husband hit the trails. Some of motorcycling is Muscule memory like a golf swing. Give yourself some time to learn. :clapper:

If you get a street bike, stay with something small for about a year. A smaller bike is more responsive than the Goldwing. I agree with the others, no more than a 650. Pick up a used bike and fix it up. You'll learn some great skills that way.

After a year of riding, take an advance course. Then go get your Goldwing and take the course again in 3 or 4 months. What all this comes down to is you gaining the skill needed so that when you get on the big bike, you have the best chance of surviving. Cars pull out, cars change lanes, potholes are around and streets can get slippery. You want to be as prepared as you can to enjoy the fun of riding.

Welcome to the best forum around.
:clapper:
Jerry.
PS Pick up the movie "On any Sunday" It's great!

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Go for it Missy! :clapper:A 650 is a bit big for learning, but heck I know lots of people including ladies that started on big bikes. It would be a very good idea to take proper lessons before you go out, but the 650 Shadow is a forgiving machine. Once you get used to it you can start taking your man's 1100 out. If it's an 1100 Wing you might have problems getting your feet to the ground if you are under 5' 7" as the 1100 has a seat height of about 31".

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hi missy :waving: And after all the advice that has been offered to you so far. Always remember that you never stop learning :stumped:when it comes to handling a m/cycle. :clapper:Everyday you will learn something new. :jumper:If ever the day comes and you say to yourself, :stumped:"There is nothing i dont know about riding a m/cycle" :stumped:that is the very day that you should stop riding and throw in the towel. :crying:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all the advice. You are all right. I do need to start small and build up from there. I was of course excited about it all, but I am smart and don't want to kill myself either. :action:I know that I will do ok as long as I take it slow and learn and like you all said, continue to learn. Thanks again, Missy

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Thanks all for the GREAT comments, she was looking for others to differ from what she has heard from me. She is so excited about this, she has checked this posting about 20 times over the last day! As you would have guessed by now I'm Missy's hubby and I'm very excited for her also! I really had hoped she would stick to getting a smaller bike up front and then transition to a bigger bike. This is my 3 bike, Yam 650, Honda CB 550 (Full Dress) and now the GL1200. I was really shocked how much different the wing handles with the extra weight. We have woods behind our house, the dirt bike post sounds like a lot of fun and a great learning area. Well Thanks to all again.:clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jim wrote:
Thanks all for the GREAT comments, she was looking for others to differ from what she has heard from me. She is so excited about this, she has checked this posting about 20 times over the last day! As you would have guessed by now I'm Missy's hubby and I'm very excited for her also! I really had hoped she would stick to getting a smaller bike up front and then transition to a bigger bike. This is my 3 bike, Yam 650, Honda CB 550 (Full Dress) and now the GL1200. I was really shocked how much different the wing handles with the extra weight. We have woods behind our house, the dirt bike post sounds like a lot of fun and a great learning area. Well Thanks to all again.:clapper:
And welcome to you too Jim, to the Best Goldwing Forums in the Known World!

:waving::waving::15red::waving::waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim :waving: And welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper: Just keep a close watch on missy :stumped:anddont be afraid to correct her mistakes.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hi Jim :waving: And welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper: Just keep a close watch on missy :stumped:anddont be afraid to correct her mistakes.
I don't know how we are going to bring you into the current century REDWING! Have you ever been to Mexico to take Macho lessons? Talk about foot-in-mouth-disease... Sheesh...:whip::whip::whip::15red::whip::whip::whip:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

missy wrote:
Hello. I'm taking my beginner drivers course in a month. I am very anxious to get a bike. I have looked at several of them, and feel that the honda shadow 650 would be good, but like the 1100 also.:jumper:I am 150 lbs woman. I can balance a 650 ok, but again, I have never actually driven anything yet. My husband got me into all this with his newly obtained GL1200. I have a ball on it and want like heck to drive it. I think I could. Very excited, Missy
Hi Missy,

The small bikes are a blast, I have seen a lot of people get hurt on motorcycles it is best to start small and go slow, enjoy but take care,

Happy riding to you and your husband there is nothing more fun.

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Missy,

Don't think you could go wrong with a suzuki sv650, you won't outgrow it as rapidly, it's got good performance but is also well balanced. The riding position is a bit more conventional than the feet forward type riding on a cruiser, which is a bit more like the wing. I've come over from sport bikes.

If reaching the ground with your feet is a problem, the ducati monster 620 is specifically designed for people of shorter stature. It's target audience are beginning female riders. Relatively inexpensive.

For the money sv650 is a bargain, you can get a used one very cheap.

Chris

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hi Chris. There is a foriegn made bike up the road at a suzuki dealer that I think is a 250, but is able to be on the road. I worry because it is still sitting there and that I will tire of it quickly ifI get it and can't resell it. :shock:JIm wants me to get it. I still wonder about that 650 Shadow. It is so sweet. :cool:I can balance it ok. I have never driven or even started it though of course. I just don't want to make a mistake when I am spending that much money. Jim teases that he would drive it some too if I got the 650 Honda. I love it.:cheeky1:I know one thing. When I get my license and am comfortable, I am not getting off of it.:jumper:By the way, I love this web page. Missy

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hello Dean. I did really look at and are still considering getting a dirt bike. Funny though, my kids will fight me over using it. :action:Two boys ages 13 and 10. :DWe are so into this whole bike thing that we are looking into getting them each a bike. :clapper:I need to get used though if I can for all of us. It seems that even the used 650's or the dirt bikes are so highly priced. I was really shocked.:shock:What size bike will I train on in my class in 4 weeks? Missy

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hi Jerry. Thanks for the advice. I am waiting patiently. Ok I lied:cheeky1:, I am driving myself and Jim crazy waiting to take my class. I am going to take my test and get my permit and surprise Jim I think this week.:action:Is it hard? I have the booklet downloaded so I can even study it at work.:clapper:I saw this very young man on a tiny bike that he said was a Japanese bike and so lite that he could pick it up if he wanted. He takes it out on the highway. I said do you get blown around, and he said yeah, it knocks him all over,but he does it anyway. Missy

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.