Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had numerous bikes over the years, the wing is the first one I’ve decided to get mechanically involved with.
i have an 88 wing with 120,000 kms
CF0481AE-D9F1-428F-8E23-87CAA8063441.jpeg ( around 72,-73,000 miles ) on it.
At startup until it warms up I hear a low growl ( I suspect water pump bearings ) , this also accompanied by the occasional hint of a smell of oil and slight smoke or steam coming from what seems like the lower right side ( throttle side ) of the bike.
are my suspicions correct ,or am I looking at something more sinister ?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Welcome,if you don't know the age of the timing belts,change them toot sweet and while you're down there change the water pump too.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will probably order everything this week. My son just did the timing belt on his 82 gl 1100 yesterday.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Timing belts on 1500 is a BIGGER JOB than 1200 but the cams stay put unlike the earlier 4 cylinder

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
The 1500 wing are known to smoke a little at start up if parked on the side stand.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Handlebar switches get dirty inside and need cleaned and when the battery is weak will only start when you let off the starter button

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I’ve had numerous bikes over the years, the wing is the first one I’ve decided to get mechanically involved with.
i have an 88 wing with 120,000 kms View attachment 322692 View attachment 322692 ( around 72,-73,000 miles ) on it.
At startup until it warms up I hear a low growl ( I suspect water pump bearings ) , this also accompanied by the occasional hint of a smell of oil and slight smoke or steam coming from what seems like the lower right side ( throttle side ) of the bike.
are my suspicions correct ,or am I looking at something more sinister ?

thanks in advance.
As for the smoke my first thought is valve cover issue. The 1500 had problems with bolts that did not seal and the oil would seep up the valve cover bolt hole. Do you see oil spots on the garage floor? As for the noise it could be a water pump but are you familiar with the noise the timing belts make? If you are going to change the belts you will be right next to the water pump. Put a mechanics stethoscope on the pump and see if it mekes the same sound you are hearing. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the smoke my first thought is valve cover issue. The 1500 had problems with bolts that did not seal and the oil would seep up the valve cover bolt hole. Do you see oil spots on the garage floor? As for the noise it could be a water pump but are you familiar with the noise the timing belts make? If you are going to change the belts you will be right next to the water pump. Put a mechanics stethoscope on the pump and see if it mekes the same sound you are hearing. :)
I’ve already ordered the water pump,I might just change the belts at the same time....they’re $45.00 or so a piece ( gates ) on amazon.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
$25 each at Rockauto plus shipping...

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
$25 each at Rockauto plus shipping...

The problem with rock auto is they will probably ship from 2 different places with shipping charges on both.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Welcome to the forum,. Sharp looking ride you have there.

A couple thoughts, not worth any more than you paid for them. Do you have a service manual? How long have you owned? The GL1500 transmission can be described as loud. even in Neutral, but it's because the engine is so quiet.

I thought the factory blue in 88 was a lighter color than that. I may be wrong but there are a few changes thru the model years of the GL1500 and I would recommend you check the VIN and sticker on the steering stem just to make sure you get the right parts.

Tuit de suite on the timing belts but IMHO do not consider them any harder than those on the four cylinder bikes. The tensioners can be rebuilt with new bearings on replaced completely if you think that it necessary. Prices on the belts just took a jump but still cheap insurance.

She's got some age and I would try to look around at all the rubber hoses and replace anything suspicious. Also, there are several drain hoses, some normally have plugs in them. Check that they are clear and then reinstall plugs where required.

While the boxer engine can smoke a bit out the left exhaust after sitting on the stand, I'm not sure what could cause it from the right side of the engine. Some bikes have had emission controls removed and an improper de-smog could possibly cause smoke and smells.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Shifter seals have been known to leak oil onto exhaust pipes on the 1500s. ( Left hand side of bike as you sit on it.) Are you sure this is not where the burned oil smell comes from?
gumbyred

1 - 14 of 14 Posts