Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My name is Bob Blackwood. I live in southern Quebec near the Vermont border in rolling farm and forest country. I am 54, past my mid-life crisis (even my wife agrees so it must be true) but I did get back to biking last summer. I used to love an old BSA Thunderbolt 650 (almost to death) when I was a kid. Last summer, dropping off an old wreck at a scrapyard with a neighbour, I spied an old CB 750 Hondamatic and bought it for $150. After four hours of work it fired up and I ended up putting about 2,500 trouble-free miles on it. I then bought another CB 750 for $300 that I am working on and then was offered a '79 Gold Wing and a parts bike to go with it. I just love the old GW for its smooth power and its easy ride. I am doing a brake job on it now and trying to figure out the carb set-up. My wife and I have a 100 acre hobby farm. She is a horse vet and so out on the road a lot. This leaves me lots of time in my shop, where I used to rebuild old tractors and equipment and now have these bikes all laid out near an old wood stove. I am having a lot of fun. Out the back door in the summertime are numerous secondary roads through beautiful countryside. I travel Quebec, Maine, NH and Vermont and am back to being a kid again, thanks to these great old bikes. I have a lot of questions since I am just learning my way around the GW but I'll do the responsible thing and look through the current database before making you all crazy with questions you've answered a hundred times already. That said, here is a question relevant around these parts today: Anyone ever put a snowplow on a GW? Hmmmmm....

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

a very warm welcome QuebecBob :waving:you are right, this is a great place to be!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum QuebecBob, from N.W. Missouri!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Quebecbob, welcome, and yes, this a great site. As for your reference of the old Hondamatic I had to smile. I had seriously injured my ankle and the rehab took some time and I wasn't able to get the toes under the gear shift to lift it. So I made the best of it and bought a hondamatic and made a custom lever to get between the two ranges. I missed the gears, but it let me keep riding. :action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida. :waving:

54 and past your mid life crisis. What medication did it take??

I'm 53 and think I've been in mine now for a couple years and sure can't see it stopping anytime soon as long as my wing keeps running.:cheeky1:

And when I have those young ladies look over from their car and flash that killer smile at me,,,

I feel the hard thump on the side of my helmet from Nancy on the back to remind me,, I'm too old to be chasing them. :(

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello Bob and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS