Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

bought this late last year. had been sitting in a shed for 5 yrs. Frame is 78. engine is 82 1100. frame modded to use 1969 VW IRS suspension with trans axle reversed. needed a lot of TLC to get to point in pic. in processes now of converting over to 1983 front end ( forks , fairing), along with engine and wiring harness from same 83 interstate bought as parts bike. will post more as it goes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

hi welcome,bringing her back to life will give loads of satisfaction when your cruisin the freeways

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

its been fun.
Was able to get it going in time for fall Thunder Beach in panama city FL.
Moved to Atlanta 4 yrs ago with a V65 magna, saw how little respect cars gave to bikes and sold it. but still had itch and friends here rode so... started to look for trike.
found this along with a matching trailer for a "exceptional" price.
looks kind of dated so as i said, now under construction.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

That's a nice looking ride. It looks like you are going to have a lot of good times ahead.

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Thats really thinking outside the box . :claps:Which transmission do you shift or do you split shift between the two ? Thats a great way to get reverse and some low gears . I like to see more pics if you have any . Thanks for sharing this .

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

How is the handling. Not shureif you have rode other trikes so perhaps you can't compair
Wilf

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

How about that? A 20 speed trike with a 5 speed reverse. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

An 2 neutrals to realy mess you up
Wilf

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Probably gets great MPG

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Ah yes the mysterous 6th gear in a gold wing.
Actually kinda intereted to know how the ratios worked out in this bike. One would assume that all the goldwing gears would be below gears, massive pulling power
wilf

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

not bad, but if i ever come across a 5-degree spindle for 83 without costing arm/leg will jump on it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

usually stay with 4th and reverse in transaxle, and run through bike gears. You would not believe the looks i get when i pull up in parking lot and put in REVERSE!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

echomann12 wrote:
bought this late last year. had been sitting in a shed for 5 yrs. Frame is 78. engine is 82 1100. frame modded to use 1969 VW IRS suspension with trans axle reversed. needed a lot of TLC to get to point in pic. in processes now of converting over to 1983 front end ( forks , fairing), along with engine and wiring harness from same 83 interstate bought as parts bike. will post more as it goes
Do I understand correctly that you are going to swap out the engine?

Unless the '82 engine is in way bad shape, I can't see the need?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

82 motor getting tired and needs clutch gone over and new timing belts. 83 has new clutch, belts, stator from PO. Wiring on trike was a butch job when I got it, made sense to swap whole assemply from 83.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

FUN looking ride !!! I would love to see some pics. of how the VW trans-axle is mounted, and hooked to the goldwing drive line..

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

That is just about the coolest trike I've seen. I bet you could pull a 18 wheeler with both trannys in 1st, if you could get enough traction.:cool:

Gene:action:

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

That is as wild as a winch truck we built for the Oil Field. Roadranger 18 speed transmission with a 3 speed auxillary transmission behind it and a 2 speed axly. That made 108 forward speeds. Why you ask? The customer wanted it that way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.